Join Us

We are 217,588 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Localized swellings on affected arm????

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Sep 19, 2006 11:41AM

grngrl wrote:

HI all,

I had dx a little over a year ago with lymph removal on the right arm. Since getting back up off the couch, I've noticed that everytime I do anything strenuous for more than say 20 minutes with my right arm, I get these raised lumps under the skin. There's one about two inches from my wrist and one about two inches from my elbow...both between the elbow and wrist.

It's not the whole arm. They can be really small or get quite a bit bigger (2 inches long and about 1/4 inch high) if I keep at the activity. At first I thought it was just an allergic reaction to something in the garden, but then I realized that it happens after I scrub the bathroom as well. (Never have I heard of a better reason not to clean house.)

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

I can't find anything anywhere about localized swelling.

Thanks
grngrl
Dx 7/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/25/2005 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Chemotherapy 9/1/2005 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2006

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Sep 19, 2006 12:04PM Ontario wrote:

Sounds like something you should talk to your Oncologist about. I would probably not bother talking to family doctor because most of them are not up to speed on these things. in the meantime...don't do anything strenuous..it is a very real excuse to have otehrs do that for you..In the case of the bathroom....get the men to do it. They make the biggest mess in there anyway. Let me know when you find out what it is...could be teh beginnings of LE. Good luck

Wanda Dx 12/12/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/26 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 19, 2006 08:54PM NPat wrote:

I developed fibrosis (protein deposits) in the forearm area when I was first diagnosed with lymphedema. These areas felt like firm knots under the surface of the skin and were the last areas to normalize after extensive MLD (lymphatic massage and wrapping). You can have lymphedema and still not have obvious swelling. If I remember correctly, interstitial fluid must increase by greater than 30% before swelling is noted. The fluid between the cells and lymphatic channels can become engorged when there is a problem with lymph drainage. Initial sensations may be a feeling of heaviness, burning, itching and tightness. Please see a certified lymphedema therapist in your area. We primary care providers are getting a bit more savy on LE but we do need to share the info about lymphedema diagnosis and treatment with fellow providers. It took breast cancer, a lymphedema diagnosis and a fantastic certified lymphedema therapist to educate me and I am trying what I can to get the word out... It is a challenge.
Pat
NPat

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)