Topic: easyTAI CHI BREATHER EXERCISE to move Lymph fluid out

Forum: Lymphedema — Talk with other about how to lower your risk of lymphedema and how to manage it if you've been diagnosed.

Posted on: Nov 26, 2012 10:58PM - edited May 17, 2018 03:30PM by hugz4u

Posted on: Nov 26, 2012 10:58PM - edited May 17, 2018 03:30PM by hugz4u

hugz4u wrote:

Posted this in kick butt thread but thought it would be great for all. Super easy. Pictures at bottom of post

Ok girls, This could be done if you can't get exercise in. You probably could even do it in a public washroom,well, maybe not the small stall,but the big wheelchair stall! My MLD girl said TAI CHI exercises have been studied with lymphedema and are excellent to stimulate Lymphatics. This is the exercise she gave to me but I forgot about it. I think I will try to incorperate it into my busy schedule. On the bottom of the sheet is says PILLER, NB(2007) Lymphoedema Assemssment clinic- Flinders Medical Centre: Based on Clinical trial outcomes, Lymphology 2004 So the exercise given was studied in a trial. YEAH!

Starting here I will type word for word from the sheet she gave me:

This exercise will help improve lymph flow from your arms and help reduce the size of your arms.

Perform this exercise 5 times on each of 5 occasions per day (when you wake up, at lunch time, at aafternooon tea, after dinner and just before you go to bed).

It works best if you leave your sleeve on if you wear one.

The most important ones are when you wake up and when you go to bed as this will help clear accumlated fluids from your tummy and chest area and allow the lymph fluid to better drain from your arms.

How to perform the exercise

(it's a little like how you would welcome a friend-but slower)

1) Point your fingers towards your chest (breast bone)

2)Slowly open your arms out ( as you would welcome a friend)

3)While still breathing in open your arms out as much as possible and put your hands back as far as you can-ensuring that you stretch and tighten your muscle in your hands and forearms and upper arms.

4)Hold your arms like this (while still holding your breath) for 3-4 seconds

5) Relax your muscles of your hands and arms and while slowly breathing OUT as much as you can, return your arms to the postion as in point 1 where your fingers are again pointing towards your chest

6) The whole exercise shoud be done SLOWLY and each one should take about 10 seconds. REPEAT 5 times.

That was the instruction sheet she gave me. I might add that when you breathe out you could bend over and make your back like a letter "C." This would compress the air out and pump the lymphatic system deeper. Just like when Sherry Lebed hugs a beach ball and bends over and breathes out.

This exercise should be easy enough for those with limited abilities. Let me know if you are going to try it. Lets call it the TAI CHI BREATHER seeing that it had no formal name on the exercise sheet. Out of curiousity, I would like to know if it bothers anyones LE or improves flow.

I could see how this could be very relaxing and calm the nervous system if done slowly.

Page 4 of 9 (86 results)

Mar 25, 2015 01:57AM hugz4u wrote:

bumping this tai chi breather for Homemom. I find this relaxingalthough it looks like a lot of instructions its very easy to do

Apr 21, 2015 07:51PM crystalphm wrote:

very good, thank you!!!!

Apr 21, 2015 10:01PM binney4 wrote:

Always good to be reminded of this, Hugz--thanks!
Binney

Jun 3, 2016 03:41AM - edited Jun 3, 2016 03:44AM by hugz4u

Bumping as a reminder for us oldies and newbies. NOt much time to do.few minutes a day.i should do more often it's really easy

Jun 3, 2016 03:18PM frill wrote:

Thank you for this! It's hard to find something I haven't heard of these days - which sucks to be so in the know about LE. I'm going to start doing this - and get back into doing my other LE exercises and home MLD stuff. I'm just worried about waking the savage LE beast.....(lol)

Dx 2/1/2015, LCIS, Left, Grade 1, ER- Dx 9/30/2015, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/19/2015 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Surgery 12/10/2015 Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 1/21/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 4/21/2016 FAC Radiation Therapy 10/13/2016 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 8/17/2017 Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander

Jun 4, 2016 12:11PM hugz4u wrote:

this exercise was studied to be effective

Nov 3, 2016 05:28PM - edited Nov 3, 2016 05:40PM by hugz4u

bumping up my post on tai chi breather

Go for it. So easy and moves lymph effectively

Nov 3, 2016 05:53PM minustwo wrote:

Hugz - great posting. I will try the exercise tonight. Thanks.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 16, 2016 02:54PM hugz4u wrote:

bumping for newbies

Nov 16, 2016 11:49PM - edited Jan 28, 2018 07:17PM by woodstock99

This Post was deleted by woodstock99.
1/12/16 BMX. Stage 1/DCIS.

Page 4 of 9 (86 results)

Scroll to top button