Topic: easyTAI CHI BREATHER EXERCISE to move Lymph fluid out

Forum: Lymphedema — Talk with other about how to lower your risk of lymphedema and how to manage it if you've been diagnosed.

Posted on: Nov 26, 2012 10:58PM - edited May 17, 2018 03:30PM by hugz4u

Posted on: Nov 26, 2012 10:58PM - edited May 17, 2018 03:30PM by hugz4u

hugz4u wrote:

Posted this in kick butt thread but thought it would be great for all. Super easy. Pictures at bottom of post

Ok girls, This could be done if you can't get exercise in. You probably could even do it in a public washroom,well, maybe not the small stall,but the big wheelchair stall! My MLD girl said TAI CHI exercises have been studied with lymphedema and are excellent to stimulate Lymphatics. This is the exercise she gave to me but I forgot about it. I think I will try to incorperate it into my busy schedule. On the bottom of the sheet is says PILLER, NB(2007) Lymphoedema Assemssment clinic- Flinders Medical Centre: Based on Clinical trial outcomes, Lymphology 2004 So the exercise given was studied in a trial. YEAH!

Starting here I will type word for word from the sheet she gave me:

This exercise will help improve lymph flow from your arms and help reduce the size of your arms.

Perform this exercise 5 times on each of 5 occasions per day (when you wake up, at lunch time, at aafternooon tea, after dinner and just before you go to bed).

It works best if you leave your sleeve on if you wear one.

The most important ones are when you wake up and when you go to bed as this will help clear accumlated fluids from your tummy and chest area and allow the lymph fluid to better drain from your arms.

How to perform the exercise

(it's a little like how you would welcome a friend-but slower)

1) Point your fingers towards your chest (breast bone)

2)Slowly open your arms out ( as you would welcome a friend)

3)While still breathing in open your arms out as much as possible and put your hands back as far as you can-ensuring that you stretch and tighten your muscle in your hands and forearms and upper arms.

4)Hold your arms like this (while still holding your breath) for 3-4 seconds

5) Relax your muscles of your hands and arms and while slowly breathing OUT as much as you can, return your arms to the postion as in point 1 where your fingers are again pointing towards your chest

6) The whole exercise shoud be done SLOWLY and each one should take about 10 seconds. REPEAT 5 times.

That was the instruction sheet she gave me. I might add that when you breathe out you could bend over and make your back like a letter "C." This would compress the air out and pump the lymphatic system deeper. Just like when Sherry Lebed hugs a beach ball and bends over and breathes out.

This exercise should be easy enough for those with limited abilities. Let me know if you are going to try it. Lets call it the TAI CHI BREATHER seeing that it had no formal name on the exercise sheet. Out of curiousity, I would like to know if it bothers anyones LE or improves flow.

I could see how this could be very relaxing and calm the nervous system if done slowly.

Page 5 of 9 (86 results)

Feb 28, 2017 03:16PM - edited Feb 28, 2017 03:23PM by hugz4u

Penelope. bumping thread especially for you!

And all the other newbies. Do try it's so easy and you can do it anywhere. When I do it on the beach people watch because it looks so calming againstthe ocean scenery.

Very efffective

Mar 10, 2017 12:31AM - edited Mar 10, 2017 12:32AM by hopeful82014

This feels great - it's a wonderful stress-release, too. I don't know how I've overlooked it but thanks for bumping it, hugz.

Edit for spelling.

Dx IDC, HER2-

Mar 16, 2017 01:40PM hugz4u wrote:

bumped for tinkerbell

Mar 23, 2017 08:07PM gardengypsy wrote:

Love the exercise. Thanks for posting.

Surgery 12/3/2015 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 1/9/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 5/23/2016 Hormonal Therapy 5/28/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 6/6/2016 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 2/2021, Other, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Verzenio

Mar 24, 2017 04:01PM dAd wrote:

Hugz - thank you so much for this. I'm doing it for my arm but as the worst swelling and fluid retention are in my breast, do you know whether there are any Tai Chi moves that would more specifically target the breast? I live in eternal hope that something is going address my problem!

Thanks. Anne

dAd

Jun 21, 2017 11:12PM hugz4u wrote:

bumping. Pictures of how to above.

Sep 13, 2017 04:37PM - edited Sep 13, 2017 04:40PM by hugz4u

bumping. My wound docs says this is best to move fluid each time you do it. Easy Instructions Takes no time barely.

Sep 13, 2017 05:30PM binney4 wrote:

Thanks for bumping, hugz--always a good reminder!

Hugs back at ya',
Binney

Sep 14, 2017 11:55AM - edited Sep 14, 2017 11:56AM by hugz4u

Good exercise. I'll have to do more. Best to get in habit like brushing teeth. We automatically do it.

Sep 28, 2017 02:31AM hugz4u wrote:

Bmping for newbies. This is so easy to do and effective

Page 5 of 9 (86 results)

Scroll to top button