Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

kinesio taping and truncal LE

Options
glennie19
glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
edited March 2018 in Lymphedema

does anyone do kinesio taping for their truncal LE?  I'm trying it out. My CLT showed me how to do it once, and I just wonder if I'm doing it correctly. I was reading the directions over at StepUpSpeakOut and I'm not sure!  I see her again this week, so I'll get another lesson.  But I was just wondering if any of you do it and how well (or not) it works for you.

thanks!

glennie

Comments

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2014
    Options

Glennie - I have used kinesio intermittantly over the past few years. I use it from my axilla and shoulder area to my groin. The fullness, I typically feel, definitely improves when I use the kinesio. I'm just too lazy to do it all the time. It important that you apply it correctly or it can pull the fluid in the wrong direction. I hope that using it brings you some relief.

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited June 2014
    Options

I have used it. I took a picture after my LE therapist taped my chest. It is the only way I'd ever be able to duplicate it. 

I really don't like KT tape. It gives me a rash & doesn't stay on very well when I swim. It did seem to help though.

Since my truncal edema is mild, I compress at night, using a compression tube top(I made it out of shapewear) & a swell spot. I only compress when things start to hurt. It works well for me. This also helps my spider veins(from RADs). They almost disappear completely when I compress.

• glennie19
    edited June 2014
    Options

I did take a picture when she first did it to me and I try to duplicate it. It's not easy doing it to yourself! 

a compression tube top?  OK,, how did you do that?  Can you post a picture?? Very curious about that.  

So far, my problem with compression shirts, etc, is either they are too big and dont give enough compression OR they squash my remaining breast so much that it hurts.

• Moochelle
    Moochelle Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2014
    Options

I thought it worked wonders for my Trunk KE and arm.  I didn't know you could learn to do it yourself.  My therapist used it a few times.

I wonder if I could do it myself with my left hand? (I am right handed)  Probably not...?

• glennie19
    edited June 2014
    Options

I got a rash from the tape,, so I don't think I'll be doing that again.  And I found bandeaus!!  So I'm trying them to hold the swell spots in place without putting pressure on my bad shoulder.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited June 2014
    Options

I don't have LE, but my LE/MFR therapist used KinesioTape on Lefty when I had a huge accumulation of fluid in my left upper pole past my collarbone. She cut a length off, then cut the lower 3/4 into "fingers" to improve the lymph flow.

The tape went from my collarbone across my implant, with the "fingers" spread out.

Because of allergy/irritation from the adhesive, I always used barrier wipes before putting the tape on. Eventually I did it myself. It really worked!

• mcgis
    mcgis Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2014
    Options

my therapist taped my arm for my lymphedema and it worked great. in a few weeks i'll go back to have her do it again and my husband is going too with his iphone to record how it's done so he, and i, can do it. i'm for sure going to do it as extra assistance when flying and going to hi altitude areas.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited September 2014
    Options

mine cut me some extra and then a pattern, and I took a picture. It really did help me a lot! 

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited September 2014
    Options

here is my tape job. My MLD girl took a course in it.all the little wrinkles in it are the best because they create  fluid movement.i think she called them contusions but not sure.The tape went around and under the pit but here it us wearing off. Below a tape burn as I pulled off carefully but created swell.

imageter

• hugz4u
    edited September 2014
    Options

Please be careful when you pull off your tape. Best to let it wear off and cut it off bit by bit. I got a terrible tape burn even though I tried soaking it off with olive oil and even in the bath water. A spray adhesive to keep tape on was applied before the tape and I think that is what did me in. I peeled it off super slow but that tape wouldn't budge. I know it is from the adhesive spray I used because I use tape without the adhesive spray  now and I am fine. I am not allergic to the spray or tape. It was just to glued on and took a layer of skin off. Be careful.

Here is a pic of it a day later. This is treated as a burn and I put antibiotic creme on it for a few days.

• hugz4u
    edited September 2014
    Options

mcgis. I would love a pic of that taped arm when you get it again. Please consider posting it or PM it to me.

My girl puts three stripes across and finishes under the pit for truncal. They are about 2 inches apart and in a wave pattern. 

The pic above was a different method.

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2014
    Options

when removing kinesio tape always fold it back and roll or pull parallel to skin. Let it stretch as you remove it. This really works. Never pull upward or perpendicular to skin. 

• mcgis
    edited October 2014
    Options

hugz4u, sorry it's soooo big. i have no idea what i'm doing. i didn't see your message till after i took the tape off this morning. we're going to put it on again but this gives you a little bit on an idea. i still wear my glove everyday. i'll take some pics when we put it on again. my husband couldn't go with me so i didn't get any.

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited October 2014
    Options

My PT puts a special tape under the kinseo tape - this makes it much easier to remove and no skin ouchies!Singing

• panthrah
    panthrah Member Posts: 140
    edited October 2014
    Options

I use KT tape often. seems to adhere to my husband better then me. I apply it after a shower, so I have clean skin and it seems to stick better. I dont have LE but when i first of it I did think about using KT to help it along. KT tape has videos of how to apply the tape. Not sure if they have LE taping. but they do show how to tape for edemas 

• mcgis
    edited October 2014
    Options

the spray adhesive might be what is making it so hard to remove and causing skin irritation. try it without. i've read too that you can saturate it in baby oil or sudsy warm water. maybe take a longer shower with it on and at the end after it's been in the water for a bit is when you remove it? 

• hugz4u
    edited March 2018
    Options

bumping. There also are a lot of posts on kinesio in gloves and sleeve thread. If you scroll up you will see my tape burn and also a girl with it on her hand andforearm