Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dry Brushing Lets talk about it here

Options
Dejaboo
Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
edited February 2022 in Lymphedema

A few of us are doing dry brushing to help with our LE.

I myself have found that it helps my truncal LE pain alot.  I am following this you tube video now when I dry brush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=panD5S72Tb0  I find it is quick & easy to do.  MLD has not helped me.

For me I like to follow my dry brushing with a self made mix of Coconut oil, Lemongrass oil & Lavender oil.  The days I didnt use the oil I could tell a small difference.

The day I skipped dry brushing I could really tell!  ( I have been doing it for about 3 weeks)

I have tried dry brushing 2 times a day- but only a few times...I need to try that for a week & see if doing it 2 times a day helps even more.

http://greensmoothiegirl.com/articles/healthy-habits/skin-brushing/  Another video that was shared..I still have not watched this full video (its long)  I need to do that. 

In both videos you can see what a dry brush looks like.

( I got mine at Target in the US for $5)

Comments

• aunt_paula
    aunt_paula Member Posts: 62
    Options

I started "officially" doing this this morning, but with a pair of exfoliating gloves instead of a brush (I've done it off and on, but not really with any specific method). It may totally be a psychological effect, but my arms and shoulder feel better already. I'm going to do it twice a day and see how that goes, and actually get a brush at some point. :)

• OneBadBoob
    OneBadBoob Member Posts: 63
    Options

I have actually been doing this for several weeks after restorative yoga, and it seems to be helping me feel better mentally and physically.

The biggest effect seems to be on my neck LE.

When using essential oils, do you simply use them afterwards?  Or do you brush with the oils on your skin?

• Dejaboo
    Options

I hope it works for you aunt paula (beyond today : )

OBB- So glad it is helping you too.   The oils are not part of dry brushing.  It is something I added in & do after dry brushing.  it seems to help me.  I take about 3 T coconut oil.  About 7 drops of Lavendar oil & 7 of the Lemongrass ( I am using DoTerra brand oils- but there are others too).  I have it in a small tupperware.  I warm it up each day in a small bowl of hot water while I do the dry brushing.  I gently massage in a little of the oil.  It doesnt not leave my skni oily & I can get drress right away.

Here is the brush I bought at Target: http://www.target.com/p/bathery-bristle-wood-brush/-/A-14779592#prodSlot=medium_1_9&term=bath+brush   if the link doesnt work it is called :BATHERY BRISTLE WOOD BRUSH

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    Options

Interesting. What are the bristles made of? I have a shower brush but Im not sure that the bristles (synthetic) arent a little harsh. It sure feels good doing your back in the shower though.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    Options

I got a natural bristle brush at Wal-Mart.  I'm taking a break from it at the moment since I seemed to have developed a skin reaction to the kinesio tape. Sad  But I'll keep brushing my arm, just not the trunk area.  

• Dejaboo
    Options

Musical I cant say for sure what the bristles are made of- though it feels like a natural bristle.  it is a rough brush, though one brushes softly- it still is very rough (to me) I did a stroke on my husbands back this weekend to show him how it felt- he said that doesnt feel good!  I said I know)  I can look at the store next time I go & see what the tag says on the brush.

glennie I am glad you found a brush. Yes, definately  wait til your skin is healed before using it.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Dej, Id imagine the natural bristles would be much nicer. Heres mine... It looks a bit more lethal than it is. Its really nice and stimulating on your back. Id think twice on my arm though.  Too cumbersome for one thing and probably a little harsh.

• Dejaboo
    Options

Oh, that does not look like a 'nice' brush Musical.  You  might find one under the name Spa brush also.

Here is a close up of mine.  it is about 5" or 13cm long (without the lost handle):

• Moochelle
    Moochelle Member Posts: 4
    Options

Dejaboo

I looked at the website and it stated "firm" strokes.  the lymphatic drainage I do manually is very very light strokes.  How firm do you use?

I have had LE since shortly after BLM.  I have it in my right arm and hand, and left trunk.  The nodes were taken from the right side !

• [Deleted User]
    Options

LOL. They shouldn't be too hard to find Dej, yea yours looks really nice. 

Moochelle, thats a very sensible question. Indeed we are not to use heavy strokes and the safest advice I would give is make sure you don't do heavier strokes than what youd do with your hand anyway. That may be a little difficult to ascertain but with careful thought Im sure you could find the equivalent.

• Dejaboo
    Options

I tried some strokes to see how I would describe the pressure.  If one does it so the bristles are barely touching (for me that is not enough)  I brush with the bristles making full contact with my skin- but no pressure.  I hope that makes sense.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    Options

I've done dry brushing on and off for years.  Mostly off!  This post inspired me.  I did it a few times and the biggest benefit for me so far is 'waking me up.'  I've been so sluggish and fatigued from treatment.  I get so tingly from dry brushing and I feel a bit more energy.  Such a plus!  I really struggle with a routine, though.  I have a long list of things I should be doing!

• OneBadBoob
    Options

This is the brush I use

• Dejaboo
    Options

cider8- thats a good benefit still- not what you were expecting...but energy is always nice : )  I hope it eventually will help your LE too

OBB - interesting brush

• glennie19
    Options

dejaboo, I think I have the same brush!

My "rash" is almost gone, and I'll try brushing again when it is completely gone. I am able to wear my swell spots at least and that has helped a lot. I was getting pretty puffy!

• OneBadBoob
    Options

deja thanks for the coconut oil tip.  I really love it!  Never had such soft skin before.

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    Options

Moochelle- Since you have LE on both sides. Brushing might be trickier. The video shows brushing over the sternum to the other side. This would push the lymph the wrong direction? FWIW,had lymph nodes removed from both sides. Truncal edema on the left side only.  I tried brushing with a natural bath brush & I stopped in the center of my chest(didn't cross over). I had to brush over a shirt because those bristles were just too itchy/scratchy. I may try it again though

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

Coraleliz, I just wanted to jump in here on your mention of those bristles and remind everyone that skin integrity is critical to avoiding cellulitis in an area with lymphedema, so do choose a brush with care to avoid even micro-damage to your skin.

Be well!
    Binney

• Dejaboo
    Options

OBB Im glad you like the Coconut oil.  I love it too.  It can be used Everywhere!

• Tessy
    Tessy Member Posts: 38
    Options

Dejaboo,

i just saw the first video today after looking for exercises to do on my arm for the lymphedema issues I am having.  I bought a brush today. It feels awesome! I saw other videos about full body dry brushing and I am wondering if that is not recommended because it may push fluids towards the lymphedema areas.I would like to do it to other areas other than my right side.

• Dejaboo
    Options

Tessy,  Im sorry I dont know about what would be ok for dry brushing other areas of your body.  I do hope that dry brushing helps your effected areas.   Check back & let us know how things are going.

I do my left - bad side/arm & my right good side after.  But no lower extremities

• Tessy
    Tessy Member Posts: 38
    Options

Dejaboo,

I have done the dry brushing on my right side for 3 days now and I can tell a difference in the swelling, it has gone down, especially on the area under my arm and side. My arm also does not ache like it did.  I do it at night and then right before I get in the shower each morning. 

• Dejaboo
    Options

Wonderful to hear Tessy!     I hope it continues to be helpful.

I am still doing it daily...I never seem to remember to dry brush a 2nd time in a day.

It is still helping with my pain.

• Dejaboo
    Options

Is anyone still dry brushing with me!  The last 3 weeks I thought dry brushing wasnt helping as much.

One day I also used my oil blend after the dry brush.  ( I had been to lazy to do that for a while)

Hard to believe but for me that oil blend after really makes a difference!

• OneBadBoob
    Options

I am still dry brushing

• glennie19
    Options

I'm not keeping up with it but I need to.  I mentioned it to my LE therapist and she is not familiar with it.  So I'm going to send her some links.

• Dejaboo
    Options

Thanks for checking in

• aunt_paula
    aunt_paula Member Posts: 62
    Options

I was really consistent with it for a while, and I need to be again.

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    Options

I'm still doing it, and super glad I read about it here. It seems to be the only thing that helps with my side, I can't get the right motion for doing it with my hands, apparently.  I don't usually use it on my arm, though.  

• Dejaboo
    Options

Im so glad it is helping others!