We are 196,325 members in 81 forums discussing 144,696 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Lymphedema → Topic: Float therapy

Topic: Float therapy

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Aug 11, 2017 12:48PM

Link3220 wrote:

Hi, my girlfriend has lymphedema in her arm that we keep under control (most of the time) thru MLD and wrapping at night. I mentioned to her that a new float therapy place just opened up near me, and she was interested in trying it. But we're not sure if floating in heavily epsom-salted water would be bad for her arm. Any thoughts on the subject?

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 11, 2017 02:09PM hugz4u wrote:

So nice your concerned for your friend. I have wondered the same thing as it would be an awesome thing to try. Epsom salt is magnesium sulphate. I'm not sure how it would react to LE. Also something to think about is the temperature of the water in the float tub. Hot tub like temps are too hot for us but I imagine it to be cooler. Does Epsom kill bacteria lurking in tub? These are thinks to think about.

I hope we get some answers.

Aug 11, 2017 04:47PM Binney4 wrote:

Hello, Link, and welcome,

Floating is generally done in body-temperature water, which would be okay for lymphedema (extremes of temperature, either cold or hot, can present problems). But the concern here would be the cleanliness of the water, and the effect of the salt on her skin. Dry skin is best avoided with lymphedema, because even microscopic cracks caused by drying can allow bacteria to enter, and the warm and protein-rich lymph fluid makes spread of bacteria a big problem. if it were me, I'd sure avoid it, but if she decides to go ahead she should make sure she has no cuts or scratches on her affected arm; use plenty of moisturizing lotion on her skin both before and after the experience, and watch CAREFULLY for any signs of infection (cellulitis) in the week or so following. Here's information on what to watch for:

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Emergencies_and_Med...

Really good of you to check this out beforehand! Of course there are other forms of relaxation that have been found to be equally effective, so if she decides to skip this one she might want to try some of the others.

Greet her for us!
Binney

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)