We are 193,623 members in 81 forums discussing 143,537 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Lymphedema → Topic: Question about icing during chemo

Topic: Question about icing during chemo

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Aug 12, 2017 08:37AM

SusanGA wrote:

I am scheduled to begin Cytoxan and taxotere in two weeks. My question is would icing my hands including my surgical side put me at risk for lymphedema. I would do this to,hopefully avoid complications from possible nail loss. I fear it would be a risk for infection but not sure if extreme cold is good either. Any thoughts

Dx 4/14/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 6/13/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Aug 12, 2017 08:57AM Castigame wrote:

I am done w 8DD chemo. Last one June 26th. I never got to ice my hands and feet bc my infusion ctr is 2 plus hr drive and I could not stand the cold. In some ways, glad I did not bc I now have chemo flared arthritis in my hands. I had minor arthritis before but chemo made it act out in other words.

Some ladies use frozen pea bags in lieu of icing gloves and take glucosamine. I have been taking glucosamine. The concern here is neuropathy.

I used tea tree oil to my nails whenever I remembered. Other than some discoloration no lifting no loss of nails happened.

About neuropathy, I honestly think no way preventing it. I have some now which I hope it reduces more after rads are done. Yes I felt rads flared it more. I can do minor cooking which involves minor cutting w no issue.

Yes it is long road. Just got to march as best as we could.

Mimi

Mimi Surgery 2/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 3/21/2017 Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Aug 12, 2017 09:37AM Connie1230 wrote:

My MO highly recommended icing and never mentioned it in relation to lymphedema. I never even thought about the possibility that it could be an issue. I did get the mittens and booties and hated every single second of it. We were also 1 1/2 hrs from where I received chemo but managed with coolers. I still got some neuropathy in my feet and still have it 5 mos. after completing chemo. I wonder if it was worth it but I guess the question is, would it have been worse if I didn't ice? Of course, there's no way of knowing that. Mine isn't severe; I really notice it when barefoot but it disappears the minute I put on any kind of shoes including flip flops.

Dx 7/1/2016, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/24/2016 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/10/2016 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel)

Aug 12, 2017 09:55AM DodgersGirl wrote:

I am icing hands and feet during 12 Taxol treatments to try to prevent neuropathy. I have completed 11 Taxol's sessions and have no neuropathy or nail issues with my feet and hope that continues after next week's Taxol 12

My hands are another story. Even with icing them each week my nails are really sore. No discoloration or lost nails but tender and sore, making it hard to use my hands for most things. I have not seen any neuropathy in my hands though so I think icing is making a difference

I am taking B6, B12, l-glutamine, and biotin. And using coconut oil and OPI on nails.

Can't answer your question about lymphedema as I haven't had surgery yet.

Also Sloan Kettering has a PDF onlineabout icing and the benefits of doing so during taxene treatments.

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/5/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Aug 12, 2017 10:06AM - edited Aug 12, 2017 10:16AM by hugz4u

if you have not had rads or any surgery yet you should be fine as your lymph nodes are not disrupted. Otherwise extreme cold or heat is not good for us with lymphedema or with those of us with nodes taken out. Remember ANY kind of surgery can produce lymphedema. Even knee operations etc. Think of lymph system like plumbing. If you break a pipe the plumbing becomes ineffective. Docs might tell you otherwise because they only spend a few minutes at sch learning about lymph system. Mine laughed at me saying I would never get it. Eventually I left (fired) him. Good for you asking and getting educated. Lymphedema is a crapshoot some get it right out of surgery some don't for years or maybe never.

Aug 12, 2017 10:42AM BosumBlues wrote:

My MO and second consult mocked me as they did with cold caps. My hair is crap and I have neuropathy. Just do it!

Dx IDC

Aug 12, 2017 01:11PM Kicks wrote:

I did not do 'icing' and had no problems at all.with nails or neuropathy. Actually I do not think that I possibly could have 'iced' if I wanted to as I had issues with keeping body temperature close to 'normal'. Problems during 4 DD A/C neoadjuvant but not bad, during 12 weekly Taxol adjuvant - really BAD. I know for certain that during g infusions I dropped to at least 94 at least once - that was in a heated glasses in cubicle and lots of warmed blankets piled on me. So no - 'icing' would not have been an option for me.

I used OPI Nail Envy on my nails throughout TX and had better nails at the end than when I started TX (or ever in my life!). I did get a small blackened area on one big toe after 2nd A/C but I know exactly where it came from - a bruise I got while driving in a Powder Puff Mud Bog.

My LE started 9 weeks post UMX - 6 weeks into Taxol.

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2009 AC Surgery 10/20/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/10/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/3/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 12, 2017 04:38PM Jackster51 wrote:

Are you using cold caps also? My hair never returned after Taxotere... that was 5 years ago :-(

Aug 12, 2017 05:56PM SusanGA wrote:

i wasn't planning on cold capping but I am reading about the risk of permanent baldness. I'm so sorry that happened to you. It is so sad that fixing one thing breaks another. Looks like I've got some things to learn about this chemo stuff

Dx 4/14/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 6/13/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)