We are 196,342 members in 81 forums discussing 144,708 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Lymphedema → Topic: Be sure you have an EpiPen

Topic: Be sure you have an EpiPen

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Sep 19, 2017 08:35PM

Kicks wrote:

This isn't just about those with LE but thought I'd bring it up here.

Last night I was with a friend/neighbor who got stung by a wasp. She went into anaphylactic shock from it. She had an EpiPen and used it but - - . When the ambulance got here, she was in extreme distress. She is fine OK. But what I wanted to pass on is that it is important to be sure that meds are not out dated and are correct for the size/weight of the person. Apparently, based on what I heard from the ParaMeds was that her EpiPen was outdated and not appropriate for her weight. Talked to her this afternoon and was told that 3 more EpiPens had been used.

I guess why I wanted to post this is that those of us might have even more issues with wasp srings on LE side. I have had major swelling from wasp stings but have not had an anaphaltic issue ever - jusat major localized swelling. But it since LE have I been stung.

I have no idea what a wasp sting in LE arm might result in for anyone. My point is to be sure IF you have had issues - be sure your EpiPen is not out of date and correct for you (weight) personally. Too little bad - too much bad!

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2009 AC Surgery 10/20/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/10/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/3/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 19, 2017 10:24PM ChiSandy wrote:

Good point--when I was 10 and up in the Catskills at a resort, I was stung in the upper arm by a wasp and my arm swelled up so much I had to spend all morning in the outdoor pool in water up to my neck. No anaphylaxis that time, but you never know. I bought an Epi Pen...38 years ago. (Time for a new one)? However, I don't think an EpiPen will prevent cellulitis from a sting in the affected arm.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 20, 2017 05:44AM KBeee wrote:

Epi Pens do need to be replaced when outdated, but there are only 2 choices in dosage: pediatric (green cap) and adult (yellow cap). The yellow cap, adult one, has a dosage that is the low end of the typical dosage given in emergency care. If allergies are severe, it is not uncommon to need to repeat the Epi Pen

Karen. Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/25/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 9/19/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/11/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 1/22/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 1/28/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 2/2/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/24/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 2/25/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 3/30/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/24/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Sep 20, 2017 08:21AM - edited Sep 20, 2017 08:22AM by hugz4u

Good reminders girls. Regarding bees. My sister was on freeway driving she had her arm out the window and a bee stung her.(epipen user) Doesn't happen often but it does! As my LE protector, she won't let me do that.

She also makes me wear a down coat if I'm going to water flowers when the bees are out. Looks rediculiosly hot but works! Also she won't let me wear bright cloths when gardening. No flowered tops....and reminds me to put on a bug shirt if I forget. She reminds me not to be doing a lot things that could hurt my arm and I love her for being my le guardian. She does a lot of heavy physical work for me. I'm so fortunate.

Sep 20, 2017 09:27AM Binney4 wrote:

Hugz what great gardening tips! Thank you!

Kicks, I too wonder what would happen with a sting to one of my arms--aaugh! We had a swarm of angry bees decide to settle under our shed last year, and I had to stay completely out of the backyard until they were removed.

Staying well with LE takes a bit more thought, but there are such clever gals here--I REALLY appreciate you all!

Hugs,
Binney

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)