We are 214,034 members in 82 forums discussing 152,590 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Cellulitis or something else

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jul 5, 2018 09:17PM

JO-5 wrote:

I have posted my problem on the Lymphedema Grrrrrrrrrrr thread but thought I would try here.

I wonder if anyone has had cellulitis in their affected arm that just won't go away and have had the redness and swelling stay after the infection is gone.

I was bitten by a deer fly on my LE arm in May. I absolutely know it was a fly. I was also bitten on the legs, and those have healed.

Let me add that since 06 I have had cellulitus 5x ... maybe 6. Each time it went away with Cipro. I was hospitalized once on IV 3 days and sent home on 10 days oral. I know what cellulitis looks and feels like.

I have not had cellulitis for 5 years until the fly bite. The following morning I had the red swollen signs in the inside of my forearm.

I was put on Cipro 7 days..no change. 3 more days...no change. 7 days Clindamycin...very little change. I was not hospitalized because I have had NO FEVER and the red area is not sore to the touch. The area has NEVER SPREAD.

I have not felt sick except from the antibiotics.

I saw an Infectious Disease dr that actually gave me nothing. He set up an appointment to get tested to see if I am still allergic to penicillin but not until August......gave me nothing but call if it gets worse. He did not believe it was from a fly bite and lectured me about germs on the skin, etc etc.

I called my PCP. He thinks there is still infection, but sent me for ultrasound for clots ....which was negative. Gave me Doxycycline for 10 days. The red area got smaller.

I'm on the day 3 of 10 more days Doxycyline .

It gets a little lighter as long as I keep it elevated......but redder with use. I've tried mild LE exercises to get the fluid moving, but it just gets redder.

No compression or massage per drs orders.

It has been 42 days and on my 4th round of antibiotic, still no fever, arm not hurting or tender to touch but red area is beginning to feel a bit sore. It is still reduced in size but redness comes and goes.

Anyone else ever had this in their LE arm?

I know many have had it in their breast.

My LE is not bad.....maybe between stage 1 and 2......but now probably full blown stage 2 since fly bite.

Any suggestions? I have not seen an LE therapist #1 because there is not a really good one in my network.....and I know she won't touch me if there is a chance of infection.

Any thoughts?

Joanne

Org dx 04 lumpectomy rads arimidex stage 1 grade 3 no nodes er+pr+her- 2014 rads induced angiosarcoma, wide excision 2015 angio recurrence, rt mast. Lat flap, 1/3 flap went necrotic, skin graft leg to chest Seeing dr every 3 to 6 months.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 6, 2018 10:27AM - edited Jul 6, 2018 10:29AM by JO-5

Has anyone had something similar?

Even the drs say it looks like cellulitis but does not act like it.

Still no fever. Antibiotics making me sick, but was not sick at first.

Joanne

Org dx 04 lumpectomy rads arimidex stage 1 grade 3 no nodes er+pr+her- 2014 rads induced angiosarcoma, wide excision 2015 angio recurrence, rt mast. Lat flap, 1/3 flap went necrotic, skin graft leg to chest Seeing dr every 3 to 6 months.

Jul 6, 2018 10:40AM Mucki1991 wrote:

I'm going through it now my cellulitis presented with very little redness I'm also brown so redness is not super obvious. I'm using kinesio taping on my arm, hand and trunk to control the LE. It's easy to do and instructions on the correct way to tape are pretty easy to find online. I think I'm on week 3 of antibiotics mine tends to feel like a burning sensation I'll be so glad when it's gone. I had fever while on cephalexin so now I'm on doxycycline and I seem to be getting better.

Rebekah Dx 5/5/2017, ILC/IDC/IDC: Papillary, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/14/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/8/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 2/26/2018 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/20/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 6, 2018 12:01PM - edited Jul 6, 2018 12:04PM by JO-5

Mucki,

Thank you for answering. I've never had cellulitis last this long. Usually within 5 days it starts to get better and by the 10th day is gone. I'm 43 days into this.

Is the area on your arm swollen?

I have that tape, but haven't used it for a long time because last time it gave me a rash.

Glad to hear the Doxy is helping you. I've done 13 days of it and my arm is still red, maybe slightly better.

Before this time.....Cipro always worked. Clindamycin just made me sick. My cellulitis was never caused ny a bug bite before......so maybe that is the difference.

Joanne

Jul 6, 2018 01:27PM Mucki1991 wrote:

Maybe a little more than normal mine runs the back of my arm, under it and into my shoulder and having LE it's kinda hard to tell so if it is swollen it can't be much. I'm pretty sure mine was caused by a biopsy I had done.

Rebekah Dx 5/5/2017, ILC/IDC/IDC: Papillary, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/14/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/8/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 2/26/2018 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/20/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 6, 2018 01:56PM JO-5 wrote:

All the other times I had cellulitis it was toward the back of my arm and a few times went up to my shoulder.

This is on the inside of my forearm from the bend of the inside of my elbow to within 5 inches of my wrist. Wrist and hand not swollen at all.....just the red area .

I hope it resolves soon for you. I can imagine how the antibiotics make you feel. I'm on my 30th day total!

I had an infection from a biopsy once. It resolved fairly soon.

Joanne

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)