We are 214,034 members in 82 forums discussing 152,590 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Compression garments at 9300 feet?

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jul 12, 2018 03:35PM

ksusan wrote:

Hello, all. I don't have LE and I do what I can to keep it that way. I always wear sleeves and gauntlets on planes, if I'm doing heavy yard work, or for workouts (usually just one sleeve if it's high-intensity exercise). So far, so good. I'm going to be spending 3 days at an elevation of over 9000 feet. Sleeves? I wear Juzos on the plane, but I'm thinking about Lymphedivas for this elevation. Your thoughts? Thank you.

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jul 12, 2018 08:12PM Denise-G wrote:

My thought as someone who suffers from LE is wear the sleeve at higher elevation!

Changes in barometric pressure really make my arm swell...I live at 100 feet elevation!

Hope someone chimes in who has real knowledge about this issue! GOOD LUCK!

www.denise4health.wordpress.com my BC Blog with over 200 informative posts about all aspects of BC - stop by! Myself, my mom, and sister were all diagnosed with BC within 3 years. What a ride! Dx 10/10/2011, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 11/23/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 12/27/2011 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 2/28/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 10/11/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 12, 2018 09:19PM SpecialK wrote:

ksusan- do you currently have and wear any Lymphadivas garments? I have my standard sleeves and gauntlets - also Juzo - and purchased some Lymphedivas ones because I like the prints and found them tighter and longer than my regular garments. I still wear them but they are a little less comfortable.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Jul 12, 2018 09:57PM Binney4 wrote:

ksusan, I'll agree with Denise on this, that if you have well-fitting garments they'd be helpful at that altitude. More compression is not necessarily better for reducing your LE risk, so if you've been using the Juzo garments and the fit is good, you might be better off sticking with that than trying something new. Use them for the trip up as well, whether you're flying or driving, because the change of altitude is a challenge to our lymph system. Generally, though, once you're at altitude for several hours you should be fine using them only when exercising, traveling or engaging in any activity you're not used to. Wear them again for the trip back down, as anytime you change altitude you'll want protection.

Happy travels!
Binney

Jul 12, 2018 11:12PM ksusan wrote:

Thanks! I do have a set of Lymphediva garments and find them more comfortable than the Juzos (say, on a hot and humid day when I need to shovel bark mulch). I do wear Juzo for flights (20 hours in compression garments is enough to make me scream, but I sit quietly doing my MLD and fist-pumps and enjoying near-continuous hot flashes instead). Excellent advice about wearing them for the altitude transition, and that also answers my question about what to do at night since I don't have night garments.

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)