Join Us

We are 220,251 members in 84 forums discussing 161,853 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Forgot my compression glove at home....

Forum: Lymphedema —

Lymphedema is swelling that can develop in the arm, hand, breast, or torso as a side effect of breast cancer surgery and/or radiation therapy. Lymphedema can appear in some people during the months or even years after treatment ends.

Lymphedema usually develops slowly, and you may feel an unusual sensation — such as tingling or numbness — that comes and goes before any visible swelling occurs. Other symptoms include achiness, feelings of fullness or heaviness, puffiness or swelling, and decreased flexibility in the hand, arm, chest, breast, or underarm areas. Tell your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms. Early treatment of lymphedema is important.

Learn more about how to lower your risk of lymphedema and how to manage it if you've been diagnosed.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Feb 23, 2021 04:44AM

wulfgirl4 wrote:

My sleeve pushes fluid to my wrist. I forgot my glove at home today. I am going to try taking off the sleeve to see if it helps.

Also, I've had two PTs tell me that I have mild lymphedema. They both said it might go away eventually. Is that false hope? I've had both breasts reconstructed and I am wearing a compression bra because I have some truncal lymphedema, too. All of that work only to have them compressed. :(. At night, I don't like taking off my compression garments but I don't like sleeping with them on, either.

Just needed to vent a little. I'm glad this forum exists.

Dx 8/3/2019, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/20/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/11/2020 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Dx 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Feb 23, 2021 07:10AM MinusTwo wrote:

Wulf - Oh my - sorry about the glove at home. Hope taking off the sleeve temporarily helps. I think "going away" is maybe the wrong term, but with constant massage & care, I'm to the point that I don't have to wear sleeves & gauntlets all the time now. But then my LE was mostly breast & truncal from the start.

I have been using the WearEase Sydney bra for 7 years for mild breast & truncal LE. My LEPT said it had good coverage under the arms & up the back. The nicest part is it's actually sort of pretty. I was looking for something that had a little lower cleavage so I didn't have to toss all my clothes. Take a look at the "fushia" color. I do wear one 24/7. It doesn't bother me sleeping and is comfortable in our 100 degree summers. The company is women owned & in the USA, and they are excellent about helping over the phone.

https://www.wearease.com/collections/upper-body/pr...

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 23, 2021 01:31PM wulfgirl4 wrote:

Minus Two,

Thank you so much for your reply! I’ve been wearing the Bellisse Compression bra...

https://www.mastectomyshop.com/bellisse-compression-comfort-bra/

I like the amount of compression it gives me but it certainly squashes them down (lol!)

The Wear Ease bra that you have, does it compress enough, in your opinion? I need to contact my Nurse Navigator to order new garments for the year and maybe I should try this one!! Thank you for the heads up!

Dx 8/3/2019, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/20/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/11/2020 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Dx 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2021 06:34AM MinusTwo wrote:

wulf - my first & best bra is the same Bellisse. I still wear that when I fly - an hour before & at least an hour afterwards. Or when I know I'm going to do something sustained that might cause problems. I agree - the compression is great but the visual doesn't enhance the feminine effects of reconstruction.

I've found that for every day - the Sydney Bra suits my needs & does a fine job. My LEPT at MD Anderson hadn't seen one and was impressed enough to call the company for further information & samples. I wear it for speed walking, water aerobics, lifting light weights, fairly vigorous yard work, etc.

Give the company a call. They will work with you on sizing and their return policies are generous. Hopefully it will be enough compression for you. I wouldn't give up my Bellisse, but I'm so happy I don't have to wear it every day.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

13 hours ago wulfgirl4 wrote:

Ok! I have one Sydney ordered! I am so glad you told me about this! I thought I'd be forever in a surgical type compression bra after all of that reconstruction! Have you tried the Criss Cross Shaper? I would like some camis that are compression and comfortable as well.

Honestly, I don't do the daily massage. I do it when I am really achey. It seems like the compression garments do enough for me but now I'm beginning to wonder had I done the daily massage if I'd even need the garments?!!

Again, I appreciate. your help and insight on this!

4 hours ago MinusTwo wrote:

No - I haven't tried the criss/cross. I only did (do) daily massage when I have swelling. I am SOOOO fortunate that my LE is mild. I do understand how lucky I am.....

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)