Topic: LYMPHA (Lymphovenous Bypass) Procedure With Mastectomy?

Forum: Lymphedema — Talk with other about how to lower your risk of lymphedema and how to manage it if you've been diagnosed.

Posted on: May 12, 2021 04:41PM - edited Nov 21, 2021 06:55PM by lw422

Posted on: May 12, 2021 04:41PM - edited Nov 21, 2021 06:55PM by lw422

lw422 wrote:

Hello all. Today I had a meeting with my surgical oncologist to discuss my upcoming single mastectomy. I was kind of bummed to hear that that many nodes will be removed, and mentioned that I have a fear of lymphedema.

The SO said that a plastic surgeon will be called in to do the mastectomy close, and he also does a microsurgical procedure called a "LYMPHA." (Lymphatic Microsurgical Preventive Healing Approach). The procedure is also known as a lymphovenous bypass which attaches the cut lymphatic channels to tiny veins, allowing the lymphatic fluid to drain. She said this procedure will add about 3 hours to my surgery.

I told her that I am very interested in this procedure, particularly since it is done at the same time as the mastectomy and apparently is successful in reducing the chance of developing lymphedema. Has anyone here had this procedure in conjunction with their mastectomy, and how have you fared with this? Would you do it again? Any complications? Thanks for sharing. Log in to post a reply

Page 4 of 4 (32 results)

May 27, 2022 09:03AM minustwo wrote:

LW - congratulations. Thanks for the informative post. Glad things are good for you.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

May 27, 2022 09:20AM juju-mar wrote:

I had a lymphovenous bypass along with my right side mastectomy in April 2021. I did have some cording a few months after surgery, but saw a PT who specialized in lymphedema. I've seen her offand on as needed since last September. I had to wait til skin healed from radiation. I have had no other issues. Use that arm, do your stretches, don't smoke, keep your weight at a healthy number and you'll decrease the chance of lymphedema. Good luck!

Julie

Dx 8/27/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/26/2020 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 6/13/2021 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 4 of 4 (32 results)

Scroll to top button