Topic: Stage III

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Nov 13, 2007 12:33AM - edited Nov 13, 2007 12:33AM by 010407

Posted on: Nov 13, 2007 12:33AM - edited Nov 13, 2007 12:33AM by 010407

010407 wrote:

Anyone there?

Page 2 of 4 (31 results)

Dec 6, 2008 11:45AM Carol00 wrote:

My suggestion is to immediately join a nearby Breast Cancer Support Group.  My Kaiser Support Group telling me about their experiences has helped to alleviate my worrying.  I have met a half dozen women who have survived more than 10 years!  I have hope.  My Group also gave me the strengths and weaknesses of various Oncologists, causing me to switch Oncologists.

I  e-mail questions to the appropriate physician.  For example with my Plastic Surgeon I asked how many Reconstructed Breasts with TRAM FLAPS he had done and how many were failures.   With his answers I felt much more confident going into the surgery the next day. I also do internet searches on parts of answers that are confusing.

My most recent enlightenment has been the discovery that Chemotherapy is an ART not a SCIENCE.

I hope this helps.  Take what you like and leave the rest.

Dec 6, 2008 11:46AM Carol00 wrote:

My suggestion is to immediately join a nearby Breast Cancer Support Group.  My Kaiser Support Group telling me about their experiences has helped to alleviate my worrying.  I have met a half dozen women who have survived more than 10 years!  I have hope.  My Group also gave me the strengths and weaknesses of various Oncologists, causing me to switch Oncologists.

I  e-mail questions to the appropriate physician.  For example with my Plastic Surgeon I asked how many Reconstructed Breasts with TRAM FLAPS he had done and how many were failures.   With his answers I felt much more confident going into the surgery the next day.

I also do internet searches on parts of answers that are confusing.

My most recent enlightenment has been the discovery that Chemotherapy is an ART not a SCIENCE.

I hope this helps.  Take what you like and leave the rest.

Dec 8, 2008 12:14AM Annaanne wrote:

Just checked in and saw your post.  I had my surgery (lump after neo adjuvant chemo) at the Joyce Keefer Breast Center, St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, CA.  I still have my checks there (3 years later) and I think they are fantastic.  I don't know your insurance situation, etc, but I highly recommend them if you are looking for a surgeon.  If you want more specific info, let me know.  I know this is even further than Irvine, but might be worth it. I traveled there from Oregon and am so glad I did.

Annaanne 

Jan 27, 2009 02:44PM Riariv wrote:

Hello,

I am advocating for a friend of mine who was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer Stage III. On 1/30 she is having her left breast and lymp nodes removed. In November she noticed a lump and had a mammogram/ultrasound and the lump measured 2cm, then in December she got a second opinion and the lump grew to over 4 1/2 cm. I believe 1 to 2 lymph nodes tested positive for cancer. She will recieve chemo in 4wks and will have chemo treatments for 3months. I myself was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 (leiomyosarcoma) and knowing what I know about chemo treatment I am guiding her through this dark moment of her life. My question is what is the recovery time for a masectomy? What are the chances of reccurence and survival? What can she expect in the couple of days after her surgery? Is it difficult to care for the drainage tubes? Thank you soo much for your input and knowledge. Love, Maria/Indiana Smile

Jan 27, 2009 03:16PM Celtic_Spirit wrote:

April,

My insurance/treatment is with Kaiser of Southern California (San Diego, to be specific). I double-checked everything my oncologist recommended, and believe me, I received gold-standard treatment. They didn't scrimp on anything. I don't know if you're with Kaiser, but if so, I can't say enough good things about the treatment I received here in SD. My surgeon and onc were absolutely wonderful, and the nursing staff amazing. Perhaps you could use the SD facilities? Send me a PM if you need further info.

Dx 2/8/2008, IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 9/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 26, 2009 08:10PM - edited Oct 27, 2009 10:02PM by iharris

This Post was deleted by iharris.

Oct 27, 2009 09:45AM Pure wrote:

The drainage tubes are very simply. Mine were out within 7 days.I am not sure of her age or level of health. I had masectomy and full auxillary disection. once she has the surgery she will have so much more information. Stats-don't look at them there updated and don't help you with anything but stress.

Dx 8/8/2009, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 30, 2009 09:54PM Elaine_1234 wrote:

Hi,

First time on line. Her-2+ wondering if it will come back.

Elaine

Oct 30, 2009 10:00PM lexislove wrote:

Elaine,

A womans pronosis depends on many different factors. The main ones being: tumor size,number of positive lymph nodes,ER & Her2 status, tumor grade.

Since you are Her2+ I assume you have had Herceptin? Herceptin has greatly changed the stats for Her2+ woman. Best person to ask is your onc about your individual diagnosis Smile

Dx:2007, 2B, Triple+, June 2008:Lupron,Zometa,Tamox.Jan 2010:Poor metabolizer of Tamox switch to Femara.Feb 2010: cyp2d6 test reliable? Back to Tamox. Ooph soon.

Oct 30, 2009 10:23PM Elaine_1234 wrote:

Hi,

So glad to connect with someone who is Her-2+ as well. I had stage III, 5cm, all lymph were neg,ER neg, grade III. I had surgery 4-08 mastectomy, one year of Herceptin, 28 Rads as well. I completed my treatment last month. I have recently been contacted for a trial research for Neratinib. Sometimes I get it on my mind and I become anxious. I have had 3 oncs (2 moved to different areas) I feel that everything I read indicates that Her-2 will return. The oncs do not say so because I am sure that they do not really know. My surgeon said that the kind of cancer I have tends to return in 2-5 years. The oncs seen a little more optimistic. I have not found anyone with Her-2 to talk to. I wondered what others felt about recurrence, among other things that I know we all have in common.

Peace,

Elaine

Page 2 of 4 (31 results)

Scroll to top button