Topic: Facial hair after chemo

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Jun 19, 2008 04:41PM

Posted on: Jun 19, 2008 04:41PM

DA9707 wrote:

Losing my hair was bad enough with chemo and am very very happy that my hair has started to grow back.  However, a less satisfying end result is a noticeable mustache and facial hair on the side of my face.  Have any of you had this problem and what did you do about it? If I pluck the hair, will it come back even thicker?  Will it get worse since I'm on Arimidex?  Ugh! 

Dx 7/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 7 of 7 (67 results)

Jun 22, 2013 02:04PM Michele2013 wrote:

I was not sure what was happening to my face. Between my head and my face, I looked like a chia pet. It has since resolved itself though.

Stage 1 Thyroid Cancer. Chemo induced cardiomyopathy, now have a defibrillator. Dx 10/29/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/28/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 4/29/2013

Jan 31, 2015 03:14AM - edited Jan 31, 2015 12:15PM by moderators

I hope no one minds that I do not have breast Cancer, but rather Cancer of the oropharynx (head and neck), but this was the first site I found that discusses my problem of facial hair! I finished chemo/radiation in Oct 2014 and several months later I noticed a very fine, blonde moustache and copious amounts of hair from the side burns down to my Jaw line. Thank goodness it is not dark brown like like my leg hair! Iwas freaking out until I found this forum, and especially love the Monkey face comments! If anything it has grown longer ( I have not tried removing it) but I might try that if it doesn't fall out soon as I'm returning to work part time in a month and it would make me very self conscious of others saw it. Not a very feminine look! I just hope it doesn't grow back darker or thicker!

I wish you all the best and thanks for giving me a laugh and some hope that it will go away!

BTW, my PET scan complete, and now Cancer-free! Whoopee!!

Jan 31, 2015 01:03PM Jillian777 wrote:

Colette1981, I am glad you found some support and answers here.  I had the same facial hair issues and used a Nair product that is made for the face.  It works great and didn't bother my skin at all.

Congratulations of a clean PET scan and the cancer free report!!

Best wishes and good health to you!

Find a place inside where there is joy and the joy will burn out the pain.--Joseph Campbell Dx 11/5/2004, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, 9/26 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 14, 2016 08:33AM Ackackadack wrote:

After completing 16 rounds of chemo on April 22nd, and having a unilateral mastectomy with reconstruction 4 days ago, I noticed excessive facial and neck fuzz this morning while brushing my teeth. I stood there dumbfounded. I just stood there and cried. Thank you to everyone on this site for posting your comments, problems and side effects. I get more help and support from all of you than from my Oncologist some days. My oncologist has been great but sometimes they just pass things off without stopping to think about it. ThankS again for all these wonderful and helpful comments.

Jun 22, 2016 05:53AM littlecalico wrote:

Hello ladies,

Here's my monkey story.

I finished all treatments in December 2013. I noticed some hair in my neck and chin 3 months later, and removed them with tweezers.

Seems like it was a mistake: 1 year and 5 months post-treatment, I noticed long facial hair in the neck where I had used the tweezers. I was so horrified I removed a lot of them with tweezers again (yeah. I know. Stupid move). Since then, they keep coming back.

I then looked it up and found that taking the root of hair out may influence regrowth in hormone-dependent areas (=neck and chin) for some women, so since I am a proof of this, now I've stopped using tweezers and I cut the hair instead. I have between 10 and 20 of them, 5 or 6 of which really show if I don't touch them. On sunny months I have to cut at least once a week, if not more. I have become very self-conscious.

My oncologist has also "never heard or read about this" (tssss, they could try signing up in a forum like this one and learn one or two things).

I am ok with cutting those hair on a regular basis for the rest of my life (it sucks, but much less than cancer itself). But I could use some solution if they exist for cases like mine. I heard laser sometimes makes it worse (same hormone-dependent side effect) but I am hesitating about electrolyse. Has anyone got satisfactory long-term results? Is the method old enough that it is considered safe? (not too keen on throwing electric stuff at my neck... could unsettle the thyroide, no?)

Thank you so much for posting about your own story. I feel much more normal, even with my hair :)

LC

Dx 8/2012, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/1/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Breast Chemotherapy Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jan 12, 2018 06:31AM Ckruze wrote:

I had chemo ten years ago and have recently noticed that I now have the white fuzz on the side of my face and under Chin. up until now I have never noticed it.

I am no longer on any medication and the fuzz is quite noticeable

any ideas

thanks

Jan 14, 2018 10:43PM kathleen1966 wrote:

Yes. It’s called malignant dowd (not sure if I spelled it right). Shave it or “nair” it and it will not grow back.

Dx 7/26/2010, IDC/DCIS/Paget's, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 7/26/2010, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 7/26/2010, Paget's, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/23/2010 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Targeted Therapy 9/7/2010 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/7/2010 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 3/1/2011 Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 7 of 7 (67 results)

Scroll to top button