We are 164,780 members in 80 forums discussing 129,352 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage III Breast Cancer → Topic: 80 % chance of it coming back!!!

Topic: 80 % chance of it coming back!!!

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Jul 11, 2008 09:25AM

Naomi wrote:

Hi girls, I don't mean to sound so doom and gloom, but I made the mistake of asking my onc what my chances of recurrences were, and this is what he told me.  "You have an 80% chance of recurrence for the next 10 years".....wow.....that was depressing!!!  Did any of you get a simular prognosis?  I guess I felt my chances were better because of all the tx I went through.  I know for certain that no one can predict the future, but this news is hard to swallow somedays!!!

Dx 5/16/2005, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 10/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 3 (64 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (64 total)

Jul 11, 2008 09:34AM - edited Jul 11, 2008 09:36AM by kalyla

I've got you beat. My doc said 90% chance of reoccurance for me, ugh. I try to stay positive, but I am truely terrified. I just finished my last chemo yesterday and now on to radiation. Everyone says   "Yeah! Now you're are done and never have to go through this again." I smile and think I HOPE I am done with this, but am I really???

Kalyla Dx 2/12/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 22/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 11, 2008 10:29AM slonedeb wrote:

naomi dont worry about percentages i had a 92 percent mine wouldnt come back but it did abd it came back with a vengance i have bone and liver mets and possinle brain mets just put your faith in god and dont worry i know thats hard not to do but try   i am deb slone from ky glad to met you

Dx 10/7/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 11, 2008 11:27AM Ihopeg wrote:

I read the stat a few days ago, and can't stop thinking about it. My onc said 50/50, but my diagnosis is close to the post that I saw. I have been worrying ever since. I am thinking maybe I should have a proph mastectomy on the other side. Also, when they say recurrence, do they mean mets? Ilene

I Dx 11/10/2006, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 20/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 11, 2008 11:41AM TenderIsOurMight wrote:

I wish to express some caution with your oncologist's 80% recurrence statistic for the next 10 years. Perhaps you and she/he ran through AdjuvantOnline! to double check this number? This seems so high given treatments, but maybe I'm just slow.
Are you on an AI (aromasin, arimidex, femara) Naomi? Of the three, Femara appears to have the longest disease free recurrence rate; head to head trials are starting, but this statement rests on a) the deep drop in serum estradiol while on Femara and b) unknown other. Most data comes from the Canadian MA-17 clinical trial.
Exercise, exercise, exercise. O.k., so I'm going now. Seriously, probably the single best proactive step we ER+ ladies and men can take. Get rid of that belly and thigh fat as best as possible.
With exercise and fat loose, our sugar and insulin drops too. Insulin stokes cancer cells and impairs immune cells.
Don't want to go to far astray here. Let's double check our sources on what you've been told. Are they old numbers?
Add me to the confused,
It cannot be emphasized too strongly that treatment of each patient is a highly individualized matter. (FDA-approved labeling for warfarin (Coumadin) NDA 9-218/5-105)

Jul 11, 2008 12:23PM - edited Jul 11, 2008 12:34PM by RRR

Last year my oncologist told me 75% chance of reoccurance.  Not stage III but a high grade. This was after bilateral mastectomy with every lymph node removed but before chemo and radiation.  Three months ago at my check up I was still NED and he said he thinks this may have been a one shot thing for me and I will be okay.  I don't think they really know and give us the higher number.  It might make us work harder to have our treatments and exercise, etc.  I am sure it has the reverse effect on some women causing stess and depression.  In any case I had my pre-visit bloodwork drawn and only allow myself to freak the week before my visit and hopefully I will still be in the clear. If I worried about the number from the onset and thought about it daily, I don't think I would have tolerated surgery to reconstruction as well.

I keep in mind a radiology tech I met early on when I was having a sterotatic biopsy. We spent a lot of time talking that afternoon and she made the comment that you never know what life will bring, you just have to live, and you can always get hit by a bus (we laughed because I always use that analogy).  She was young and healthy and died suddenly six months later.  I would never have thought to outlive her at the time.

Dx 7/5/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/25 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 11, 2008 12:44PM Annie62 wrote:

Naomi, Are you sure you got this right? My stats are somewhat similar to yours, although your tumor was bigger than mine. My onc told me that my chance of recurrence was 75% after surgery and BEFORE other treatmetns. Each treatment - chemo/rads/tamox reduced that number and I have a 25% chance of recurrence. My onc also told me that 50% of my chance of recurrence is in the first 2.5 years so the further out you are, your chances are decreasing.

DX 11/04, Stage IIIC, IDC, 6 mm, Grade 2, 11/20 nodes positive, ER+/PR+ Her2-

Stage IV 8/2012 Liver, brain, bone, mets. Halaven Past chemos:Carboplatin/VP16, Xgeva, Doxil, Gemzar, Navelbine, Xeloda, Faslodex Orig Dx 11/2004 St. IIIc IDC 11/19 nodes AC,Taxotere. Tamox, Aromasin. 2010 Abraxane and Gemzar, ER+/PR+ Her2- BRCA-

Jul 11, 2008 02:07PM Naomi wrote:

Hello everyone, thanks for your quick replys....My onc told me these stats 2.5 years after tx.  Don't know what came over me to ask such a question...I guess I thought I would have a better outcome. Maybe he is just a tool... but I do agree with the tx that I have recieved so far. 

Kalyla, pretty name, my daughter's name is Kala....it kinda makes you wonder where they are getting their info from doesn't it?

Slonedeb, where are you from?  I do try to stay as positive as I can.  I know I have told this story a zillion times, but I have an aunt dx with stage 4 disease 18 years ago, and she is still kicking, that always gives me hope!!!

llene, I like your stats better.  I had a prophy done on the right side and haven't regretted that decision for a minute.  I knew that it wouldn't change my prognosis, but, I felt in my gut that it was the right thing for me! Recurrence can mean a variety of things.  People use the medical lingo a bit too freely if you ask me.  My understanding is that a recurrence can be local or distant, local meaning that is recurrs in the breast area, distant if it recurrs at a distant site, example: bones, liver, lungs, you get the idea.

Tender, I'm not an excerise guru, but I do keep busy with outdoors chores etc.  I have always been a skinny minny, so I don't think that was an issue for me.  I have been, however, on the fence about changing my meds to Femara.  I have been on Tamoxifen for 2.5 years and really don't know what to do.  I guess I figure that I'll be on Tamoxifen for another 2.5 years, and then follow up with Femara for another 5.  That's 10 years of hormonal drug protection, what do you think?

Liz, I try not to dwell on it much...just like you, I always get anxious when I'm having bloodwork or a scan done.  You are right, you just never know when your time will be, but having bc always keeps that thought in the back of your head. 

Annie, yep, that's what he said.  He also said that er and pr pos cancers can go into remission alot longer than non pos cancers before they will recurr again.  I guess when I asked for a little info, he kinda let the flood gates open huh?

Jul 11, 2008 04:01PM Carol1220 wrote:

Hi Naomi, I try to stay away from reading survival stats.  It is frightening and bc is scary enough as it is.  But I know how you feel about it always being in the back of your mind.  My Onc told me at the outset that without treatment my chance of recurrence was 80%.  After treatment, I thought she said it was 50/50.  Because there are so many stats out there, most outdated, I am not going to waste energy on thinking 'what if'. Trying to enjoy each day.  We're a strong bunch, we'll be around for a long time.  BTW, I love the story about your aunt.  I cling to those stories.  Carol

Dx 10/13/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIC, 10/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/13/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 10/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 11, 2008 04:21PM Ohbother wrote:

The Stats are all over the board and I believe, mostly, inaccurate....I had a long time friend who I kept in touch w/ even after moving out of state... She was such a strong person; just a whilwhind of activity and joy... She began to have symptoms and died within 4 months from ALS at age 41.  So, my point is, we all have a terminal illness.  We are just a little luckier in that there is lot of us which  makes for more progress and I truly believe we have lot of people working to keep us here longer.  I try to hang on that.  Like I read in another post... In talking with  my friend about my breast cancer, I never in a million years thought she would die, from a disease, before me...

So, I know the black cloud is always there off in the distance... Just try to keep it that way.

Good Luck...cc 

Now Queen for a day....Every Day.... Dx 10/6/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 11, 2008 06:56PM cp418 wrote:

I'm also confused as these numbers seem way too high as if you had no treatment. This may sound extreme but some women with very strong hormone receptor bc consider oophorectomy.  It is even recommended for the BRAC positive ladies so may not be that unreasonable.  Maybe a topic to discuss with your doctors.  Congratulations on 3 years! 

Jul 11, 2008 07:13PM snowyday wrote:

I was told " It's a crap shoot", honest answer, but no numbers.  I just hope that things get better with genetics now being a great help to at least start a battle plan against the disease.  So lets hope for a 7 or 11.  Bertter yet B9

PN Dx 5/24/2007, ILC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 11, 2008 08:54PM evieo wrote:

The surgeon who did my initial biopsy was the first one to give a stat to me and he said 50/50. The oncologist has never given me stats because he says that stats are very broad and do not reflect an individual's chances. Also, the info is always old info as they cannot keep them current because of the sheer numbers involved.  He told me we have done all could do to treat my bc and I should go out and live my life.....IF it comes back...well, we'll deal with it at that time.  I continue my fight by walking 4 to 5 miles on most days.

I completely understand being scared sometimes, I know I am. Then I have to actively seek out a loving moment and embrace life today. I snuggle on the couch with my husband, or pull a beautiful granddaughter on my lap for a kiss, call one of my sisters to chat, make a big family meal on Sunday, etc.  And every single day, the first thing I do is thank God for another day, not just because I have bc......but also because you CAN always get hit by a truck.

Find those things that make you feel most alive, then embrace them when you are scared.  Feel the power of life, of loving moments.

I am Evie and I live about 40 miles north of Dallas, TX.

Dx 10/24/2006, IDC, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 11, 2008 09:10PM SpunkyGirl wrote:

Have you ever gone on Adjuvantonline.com?  I think it's for doctors, but my rads Dr. told me about it.  It gives us a pretty good chance.  I am 42 and I am still mulling the oopherectomy.  Have you decided against that?  Also, you mentioned in a previous post that your arm was bothering you.  Mine is too, but I haven't had any visible swelling.  Have you?

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul."

Jul 11, 2008 10:00PM - edited Jul 11, 2008 10:02PM by TammyLou

About the same.  (80%...the longer I live without recurrance, the better my stats get...Maybe we're at 50% now.)  Cancer prognosis is still based on lymph nodes...no matter how we like to dance around it.

Very likely, as the treatments are improving...the numbers may get a little better.

There are individuals who survive.  Long term.

IMO, doctors are not real good at picking out who the long term survivors are going to be.

Keep breathing.

Some of us are going to make it...it might as well be you...maybe, me, too.

Tammy Lou...diagnosed January 2005

Jul 12, 2008 12:42AM SpunkyGirl wrote:

I've been thinking about this post all evening, and it has really knocked the wind right out of my sails.  I have often wondered why the "statistics" concentrate on the BC Stage.  I've never seen the statistics broken out by tumor size vs. number of positive nodes, which leads me to wonder if they (the medical profession) know that we are doomed by virtue of our nodes status, and don't want to tell us.  I'll never forget that one of my oncologist's colleagues said to me (while I was still in treatment!), "when this comes back....".  I've always ran, ran, ran through this whole trial; I guess I was hoping to outrun this thing.  Who am I kidding?

I'm sorry for the doom and gloom.  It's not usually me.  But I don't know how to live the life I have today.

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul."

Jul 12, 2008 01:33AM Diana63 wrote:

I don't think they really know what anyones chances are, they are going by old statistics and old treatments. From what I have read most of the advances have been in the last 5years, and they haven't done any new studies. I sometimes look at the % too but you have to remember it was based on a lot of different information. If stage 1 & 2 are haveing better prognoses then we cant be far behind, the same goes for stage 4 they are only a step away from us, I believe we will get thier together. Laughing

Also they never say anything about the womens health, age or type of BC that they have. They are going on block studies where different women are put into one category.

“Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). Dx 10/6/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 12, 2008 08:06AM shrink wrote:

My doc told me the same thing - 80% within ten years.  However, my tumor was large, aggressive and found its way into lots of nodes.  Right now I'm NED since surgery in Dec. 07.  The way I look at it is that since I have IBC (only 1-2% of women get this kind of cancer), I could hit the lottery in terms of beating the odds.  And maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket too.

Dx 5/23/2007, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 21/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 12, 2008 08:06AM Naomi wrote:

Girls, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to freak anyone out with the %'s that were given to me.  I guess I just wanted to know if my onc was even in the ballpark!!!  He just might be one on those people who see the glass as being half empty rather than half full.....I, on the other hand, would see the glass as half full.  I do feel optimistic about the futher, even if this thing progresses, I still will always cling to hope.  I couldn't imagine wanting to live any other way.  Love you all!!!

Jul 12, 2008 09:08AM florencedonna wrote:

your doctor's estimate of 80% over 10 years sounds too high to me.  My oncologist estimated 25% of recurrence for me over my lifetime; he also said that a large percentage of recurrences occur in the first two years after diagnosis.  I may have a better prognosis because I am Her + and had herceptin.

My concern has been about metastases, not about local recurrence in the scar or a new primary breast cancer.  My onc estimates a 10% lifetime risk of a brand new breast cancer.

If you want to talk to your oncologist again I would specifically ask him ...

What does he mean by 80% chance of recurrence, does he mean 80% chance of metastases or 80 % chance of metastases, local recurrence or a new primary?

You are 3 years out from diagnosis (yah!!!), How does the passage of time without metastasis affect your odds of developing metastasis?

I assume you are able to tolerate whatever treatment was recommended; how does completing treatment affect the estimate? (prior to the injections for low blood counts and the drugs for nausea, a huge percentage of people could not complete the recommended chemo plan)

I would suggest talking to him because I think it is likely that you will hear information that is more hopeful.  If you do decide to have this talk, give the onc notice you want to talk about this so he is  prepared and you may want to bring someone with you.

Some food for thought: 

I am in the health care field.  Now that I am attuned to breast cancer, I ask women much more about their breast cancer than I did in the past.  I am upset frequently to find women who don't know much about their breast cancer and are not taking their tamoxifen.  I assume the sisters on bc.org will have a better prognosis because they are informed about the disease.  I am sure being on this site decreases you lifetime risk by 5%

I wonder how treatment will change when circulating tumor cell tests are more common.  will we change treatments when there is an increase in tumor cells circulating in the blood even before they settle in to grow in the bone or liver?  If you develop mets five years from now, we'll have more treatments than we do now.   

The glass is 3/4's full!

Jul 12, 2008 09:12AM kalyla wrote:

Each round of therapy, be it chemo, radiation, hormone therapy, reduces the original % your doc told you. So, your 80% and my 90% is really much lower now. Life is always a 50/50 chance anyway.

Kalyla Dx 2/12/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 22/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 12, 2008 11:10AM Fitztwins wrote:

Honey, I never asked. There is no reason you won't be in the 20-40% that doesn't recur.

I always "knew" that I would. Too many factors against me. But I held on to that tiny hope that I would be in the minority. So that was shot to hell. Now I am focusing on that we can control my mets for YEARS.

Don't let the threat of rain ruin the picnic of life. It will consume you.  Beside moments of fear, I had a wonderful 3 years of NED, and I enjoyed almost every darn minute of it.

Oh, and one of my favorites quotes are:

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. For every 80% you can find a story of hope!

Enjoy Every Sandwich. Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 1/19/2005 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap Chemotherapy 2/1/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 5/1/2005 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 6/1/2005 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2006 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/2/2008 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 7/1/2008 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 5/5/2010 Tykerb (lapatinib) Hormonal Therapy 8/2/2012 Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 12, 2008 12:00PM 2timer wrote:

I agree with the above.  Statistics are a complicated thing when they are used for prognosis.  They are already outdated when they're published and they don't take into account different factors.  If there is a 80% chance of recurrence during a 10 year period and you've already been NED for 4 years you've already "used" some of that 80% chance.  A lot of that 80% since most of the recurrences happen within the first few years.  And there is really no way to tell which group one will fall into.

I was told the exact opposite:  I have  20% chance of recurrence.  But that isn't really telling me anything since either I'll reccur or I won't.  There are women on the mets board who have been around for years with great QOL and there are women who were early stage and ended up dying from the disease.  You just don't know how things will play out.  And you can NOT make yourself sick with worry over something that may not ever happen.  I'm struggling with this myself and I have a very early stage cancer.  No guarantee's at all with BC.

Dx 3/19/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Radiation Therapy 6/26/2007 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2007 Dx 7/2/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/28/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 10/24/2013 AC + T (Taxol)

Jul 12, 2008 04:11PM wallan wrote:

Hi girls:

I was told 60% chance of recurrance before chemo and 40% after treatment over 10 years. With tamoxifen/aromasin my recurrance chance is about 35% I was told.

I freaked out about this at the time. When I see my oncologist, she stills says I am `high risk`for recurrance. It has been over 4 years now since dx.

And as you all know, I  worry about recurrance.

I know that stats are can be wrong and I know I am an individual and no-one really knows my chances. I just tell myself to take care of myself, enjoy life as much as possible and just to think that I am at a higher risk than the general population for cancer instead of fixating on the stats.

It is true that some gals have less than 5% chance of recurrance and it comes back. And there are some gals with 80% chance recurrance and it never comes back. So we just don`t know!

But I do understand how hard it is not to fixate on the stupid stats....

HUGS to you

Wendy A

Dx 3/29/2004, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 12, 2008 09:08PM asicsgirl wrote:

Hi girls

I agree the stats seem way too high for chance of a reoccurence.. I was told I have a 25 - 40% chance of reoccurence in the next five years which means I have a 60 - 75% chance of survival in the next five years and I had all the bad signs. I was only 39 when diagnosed, 8cm tumour in breast, 3cm in axilla, had chemo before surgery so not sure how many lymph nodes involved but at least two, triple negative. I have just passed my 2.5 years in remission.

asics girl

Dx 2/23/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-

Jul 13, 2008 08:23AM bjc wrote:

I think there must be a misunderstanding somewhere. I was told that with surgery and radiation only there was a 58% chance of recurrence and that number decreases with each treatment option you choose. For instance, if you have hormonal therapy or chemotherapy it decreases, and if you do a combined therapy, hormonal and chemotherapy decreases even more. My oncologist used a tool called  shared decision making to give me that info. I was diagnosed 3/5/08 . I have a histology grade 3, ER- POSITIVE, nodes negative, tumor size greater than 5 cm. Hope this helps.

Dx 3/5/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 13, 2008 11:18AM - edited Jul 13, 2008 11:19AM by sugarplum

This thread is fascinating - I wonder if I misheard my surgeon - after my double mastectomy in 6/06, she told me 15-20% chance of recurrence within the next 5 years (when I asked her "what if I don't do chemo", she shrugged & said: 50/50? Of course I ended up doing everything they suggested, including the ooph.). Her estimate sounds backwards to what you were told, Naomi - was she just trying to keep me from jumping in front of a car?! And even at that, it has freaked me out every day since then. I'm reaching a point where I feel I probably should stop reading stats because almost everything I read darkens my days with more fear (and I have an obsessive personality to begin with). How hard it is to live in the moment!!! 

Love you guys...Julie  

Keep calm and carry on.... Dx 4/28/2006, IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 10/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/6/2006 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/5/2006 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/30/2006 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 12/17/2006 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 1/10/2007 Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 13, 2008 01:13PM Nico1012 wrote:

I was thinking that maybe I misheard my onc too except that he also explained it in terms of absolut numbers. Out of 100 women with 2.4cm,  pr+ er+ her2neu-, 5/15 pos nodes, Grade 3, stage IIb IDC

those who receive lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and either Tamox or an AI the chance of getting a recurrence  in the first 5 years is 30% or 30 out of 100 women. 70% or 70 out of 100 women will not get a recurrence.

those who get BILAT mast, chemo, Tamox or an AI the chance of getting a recuurence in the first five years is 20% or 20 out of 100 women will get a recurrence, 80 out of 100  women will not.

Quite honestly, I have subscribed to the 50/50 possibility scale for most things in life.

Either I will or I won't.

Better to live in the moment, it is after all ............... ALL WE HAVE FOR CERTAIN!

Dx 4/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Grade 3, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 13, 2008 01:25PM Nico1012 wrote:

We need Otter. Where's Otter?     OTTTTEEERRRRR??????????????????

Dx 4/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Grade 3, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 13, 2008 03:46PM karen1956 wrote:

Naomi - my onc gave me the stats as in with just mastectomy, w%, with chemo x%, add rads y% and  z% with AI's.  He said that my survival rate went up to 75 or 80% with the AI's that they added about 23% to survival rate. So for me those are pretty good odds.  I am sorry that your onc is so doom and gloom!  There are days that I am scared out of my wits, then others I can stay positive.  The AI's have been difficult for me, but I see that I need to stay on them.  Hugs to you and wishing you a life to 120 years. 

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 3/1/2006 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 3/22/2006 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 7/27/2006 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 10/19/2006 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2007 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 13, 2008 04:20PM Ivylane wrote:

I don't buy any of these stats.... in 1991 after round 1, I was told less than 10% chance of reccurrence....  my onc (at the time) said "cancer is an  insidious disease...I have seen people die who should have lived, and I have seen people live that should have died"...  I never DID have a reccurrence, but I DID get another new primary BC in the other breast 15 years later....go figure.... I think it's 50/50 any way you look at it....by the way, I am not having a round three thank you very much.... I plan on being around a long time...a lot of treatment changes occur over the years and it seems that every year there is a new treatment option.... hang in there everyone!

Page 1 of 3 (64 results)