Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors...15+ years and out

Options
weesa
weesa Member Posts: 78
edited March 2023 in Stage III Breast Cancer

Let's just see what happens here...This is a "build it and they will come" experiment. It's time.

If you are not a 15 year survivor but know the story of someone who is, please join in.

Comments

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yay Weesa! Thanks for starting this to give us even more hope.

Not there yet, but will be watching intently :)

Love & hugs from one of your many admirers - Julie

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited November 2015
    Options

This is perfect!! I know they will come or at least hopefully we'll all get there and fill this thread up!!

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited November 2015
    Options

My grandmother was a 15 year survivor when she died of Parkinson's. She had node involvement and a tumor stuck to her chest wall. In a strongly worded letter to her family doctor who ignored the lump because she had cystic breasts, she described herself as "metastatic," which may have been the case back in 1984. She had a radical DMX, a year of chemo (flying to SKMCC for her treatments), and I believe radiation. In years after her diagnosis, she was able to meet five grandkids, including me.

When I feel down, I remind myself that I have her tough genes

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi Weesa....Methinks you are in need of a serious Slouchfest. I can do one virtually if you need one. Let me know. 

However, did my share at the conference last week, so trying to eat right at least for a day or so. (Just poured myself a glass of good Whisky.....from Scotland.)

To answer your question, I have a friend who had tumors discovered in her lungs when she went to get her feet fixed. Something like 15 years later, she is just fine.

I send her wine every year for Christmas at this point.

I was Stage II, not III, so don't count in your poll. But I can tell you I am grateful for every single day of the wonderful life I lead.

I am expecting to be here in another 10 years. And if I'm not, it's because I landed in a ditch cycling or skiing.

Much love from Seattle. - Claire

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My friend Minh is a longtime survivor of stage 3 cancer very aggresive grade 3. I am not sure what her hormone status was but she was young and her daughter was 6 months old when diagnosed now her daughter graduated from college she is 23. So Minh has been Ned for 22 years. She had many lymph nodes positive for cancer and both breasts quote "The mammogram lit up like a Christmas tree." She had chemo and radiation.
  • Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2017
    Options

My friend will celebrate her 15th year this year! She had triple positive IDC, 9 positive nodes. Had BMX, chemo, rads, year of Herceptin (it was just starting to be used). She continues to take anti-hormonals. This was a local recurrence, too- she had a lumpectomy prior to this diagnosis

Editing this to change her bio markers: she was ER+/PR-, Her2 positive

She is doing great, other than lymphedema. About to see her youngest child get married.

When I feel discouraged, I think of her!

• JustKeepSwimming44
    JustKeepSwimming44 Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2015
    Options

My therapist's friend is 24 years out. All I know is she had 19 positive out of 22 nodes. She is doing well and living abroad with her husband. :-)

• weesa
    edited November 2015
    Options

So grateful for all the contributors on this new topic. I had started it with some trepidation that it would remain empty, a sign of discouragement for all of us, but the contributions have been heart warming. Thank you all, have a nice holiday today, and keep the stories rolling in. Best regards to an amazing group of men and women, Weesa

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited November 2015
    Options

My sister-in-law is 20 years out from stage 3B or 3C breast cancer. She had a mastectomy, chemo and rads. Of course, we joke that she is only alive because she is so evil that even death is scared of her. But family problems aside, I am delighted that she beat it.

• Karina
    Karina Member Posts: 76
    edited November 2015
    Options

Love, love, love these stories!!! Keep posting ladies ! Thank you Weesa for starting the thread..xxx

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2015
    Options

im new to bc, only 1 year since diagnosis. But I am following this thread, thank you for starting it., it gives encouragement when the dark side tries to take over.

• weesa
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hey, mods, this thread is starting to slip into oblivion--do you think it could become a pinned thread right under 10 years and out?

• oaktownmom
    oaktownmom Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2015
    Options

I have a friend who is 17 or 18 years out from a Stage 3C diagnosis. She was in her early 20's at the time of diagnosis, and has gone on to have two healthy, beautiful kids.

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited December 2015
    Options

oaktownmom, as a Stage III survivor diagnosed in my 20s and still wanting kids, I love that story.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,898
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi Weesa --

We've gone ahead and made this thread a sticky!

thanks!

• MelZ
    MelZ Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2015
    Options

I am so happy to read these stories! It's hard to be optimistic all of the time and was feeling extra fearful today. 15 radiation treatments left and looking for an adjuvant clinical trial to reduce risk. Thanks for sharing and giving me hope!

• live_deliciously
    edited December 2015
    Options

hey melz. Totally understand your fear and go there sometimes myself. It's like trying to catch your breath. Wanted to share I'm in a clinical trial for Affinitor. It's used for stage 4 bc and other cancers but the trial is to see if it can stop stage 3 from moving to stage 4. the thread is under swog trial. Maybe you can ask your onc about it.

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2016
    Options

thanks mods ! this is a great thread !

• funthing42
    funthing42 Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi all!

I'm here for encouragement :)

I'm trying to decide on a treatment. I have nodes left side. Recurrence x3. Anyways also have a skin nodule. I finished Rads last April. Now dealing with this.

I thought surgery and Rads would help.

I have treatment fear. Everyone is pushing Imbrance at me. I just keep wondering what would be offered if this was out of the equation.

I want to have the longest remission possible.

Please keep a eye out for anyone has concurred skin mets.

Thank you.😊

Everyone is so strong. It's just hard being in limbo.

• cupcake7
    cupcake7 Member Posts: 321
    edited May 2016
    Options

so very happy for you

• Milwmama
    Milwmama Member Posts: 84
    edited July 2016
    Options

WAnted to let you all know a friend of mine is a 20 year survivor. Her husband is about to retire and she works as a nurse at children's hospital here. Has grown children and grandchildren she enjoys.

It can be done :)

• live_deliciously
    edited July 2016
    Options

thanks for caring to share that great update with all of us.

• weesa
    edited October 2016
    Options

This poor old desolate thread of mine! Rest assured, I will be reporting on it --legitimately-- a little over a year from now. And I know there are others here who are planning to post in a few years as well.

No news from me right now-- I am just as irascible and irresponsible as ever, tempting fate and setting a bad example as a treatment graduate.

My wish is that this thread will morph into a place of BIG HOPE for those coming after us. In the meantime, if you know stories of breast cancer longevity be sure to deposit them here!

Love and admiration to all of you, Weesa

• live_deliciously
    edited October 2016
    Options

thanks weesa. I want to be like you.......making it a long time. Best wishes. Hope to see you post soon .

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2016
    Options

Always great to hear from you, weesa - and like you, I'm also waiting with baited breath to post my success here in just a few more years....

...long may we roll!

Julie

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited October 2016
    Options

love you irascible Weesa

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2016
    Options

So awesome when you all post here! :)

• ssinuk
    ssinuk Member Posts: 63
    edited October 2016
    Options

YOU are our big hope, Weesa. sugarplum, Lkc... Thank you for caring enough to come back and post for us. Needed some tonight - means a lot.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2016
    Options

Just had lunch with a grade school friend whose mom was a 60 year survivor of what would be considered Stage 3 breast cancer now with a recurrence. She wanted to go to lunch to tell me her mom's story. It was 1956. Her mom was pregnant with her. They wanted to take the baby and do an immediate radical mastectomy, but she refused. She never went home from the hospital after the baby (my friend) was born. The baby went home with her aunt, and my friend's mom had a radical mastectomy. Her mom's MX was extremely deformative as tumor was HUGE and she had lots of lymph nodes involved. She was cut from under her arm down to her ELBOW!! She had surgery and was one of the first people to have cobalt treatments in her small city.

Three years later she had a BC in other breast. And six years later, had ovarian cancer. She had lymphedema her entire life post breast cancer. But every one who knew her loved her.

She lived to be 92 and just died this past year.

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited October 2016
    Options

You're too cool, weesa! I too am doing everything I'm not supposed to as a newly tx grad. I just can't give up what's basically my quality of life at 52. If I'm doomed to be gone much sooner as a result, so be it.