We are 212,422 members in 82 forums discussing 151,899 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Losing weight to up my odds

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Jul 28, 2017 07:37AM - edited Jul 28, 2017 07:38AM by Shellsatthebeach

Shellsatthebeach wrote:

Hi all! Newbie here. I was diagnosed with IDC in March. One of the things said to me by an oncologist is that to up my odds in keeping cancer at bay, I need to get rid of excess body fat (especially around the belly). Since going through perimenopause a few years back, I have put on weight rapidly (approximately 25 pounds) to a body that needed to lose about that amount of weight. Basically, I have around 50 pounds to lose. Any suggestions from people who are going through the same thing or have went through the same thing? There are so many diets out there and I know some are better than others. What has worked for you? BTW, not going to diet until after I finish my treatment. I just want to prepare myself.

Dx 3/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+, HER2- Surgery 8/28/2017 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 6/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 9/24/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 10/17/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere)

Page 4 of 5 (142 results)

Posts 91 - 120 (142 total)

Jan 8, 2018 08:16AM Towardshealth17 wrote:

Two Ingredient Dough Everything Bagels

Good morning Scotbird! I had a culinary discovery today. I found a YouTube recipe to make bagels out of just two ingredients. No fat Greek yogurt and self rising flour. They came out great. Not sure if that works for your preferences but thought I would pass it along. You can also use it to make pizza crust or rolls and it is high in protein from the yogurt.

Dx 10/6/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/8/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 06:48AM ScotBird wrote:

Yessss, I’m down to 143.5lbs today! Good week!

ScotBird Dx 1/18/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/8/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 7/25/2016 Breast

Jan 13, 2018 08:56PM ceanna wrote:

Scotbird, good for you!!! Once past the holidays is seems a little easier. I am down 2 pounds since Christmas, but I have had a great craving for salty things since then! I bought GimMe organic roasted seaweed packets at my grocery store and find that it does satisfy the salt craving with only 65mg of sodium and 25 calories per serving.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jan 14, 2018 06:57AM TwoHobbies wrote:

Good job, Scotbird and Ceanna. I'm also happy I have lost the weight I gained this fall. Next goal is to lose the 5 pounds I've gained to get back to where I was two or three years ago. I have to go with small goals!

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole. Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 15, 2018 01:14PM Towardshealth17 wrote:

Bravo on your scale victory Scotbird! 🙌👍🌟👏🤗💃🤸♀️🌷

Dx 10/6/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/8/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 18, 2018 06:23PM ceanna wrote:

How's everyone doing? I'm still struggling with carvings for salty things. I'm eating some nuts but too high in calories. Other than the seaweed I like, what suggestions does everyone have for low carb salty foods? BP, sodium, and potassium levels ok so I don't worry too much about salt but would like to keep it low.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jan 19, 2018 12:55AM Meow13 wrote:

If you do 1hr of aerobic exercise where you are sweaty I think you should not have to worry too much about salt intake. Drink tons of water.

Jan 19, 2018 02:18PM ceanna wrote:

Thanks, Meow, I don't have a problem with sodium but just craving salty things right now but want to keep it low carb. Already doing my exercises and I try to drink at least 80 oz of water per day. Any suggestions on low carb salty foods?

Jan 20, 2018 03:40AM ScotBird wrote:

145.5lbs today. Up a bit on last week but not too bad considering I did lots of entertaining including a big party after which I ate all the leftovers! The next 2 weeks I have almost no social plans so no excuses for over eating. My physio (for my knee operation I had ACL reconstruction in November) is going well and I’m allowed to use the static bike and crosstrainer so am planning to do that every day for up to an hour. I am sure that I WILL lose this weight, slowly and surely.

TowardsHealth the bagels sound great thanks for the tip - I haven’t got around to trying them yet. Ceanna I know what you mean about salty things. I think it’s OK to eat things that are high in calories if you don’t have too much. I like salted cashews, even though they are calorific, I do eat a handful of nuts most days because I think they are good for me. Every thing in moderation X

ScotBird Dx 1/18/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/8/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 7/25/2016 Breast

Jan 20, 2018 03:05PM TwoHobbies wrote:

I am more a sweet tooth so I cant say I have ever craved salty, but I will mix a few salted nuts with raw- like pecans and that gives you a salt taste without too much. Olives and pickles would be salty and low carb too,

I am on the toobusytoeat diet. Several days lately I didnt get breakfast or lunch. Down to my lowest weight in a year. Whatecer works,

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole. Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 23, 2018 10:30AM wrmbrownie wrote:

I just started eating better since New Years. I think it was because I remember reading this topic title beforehand. It's been three weeks and I feel really good!!! I have a whole bunch to lose but I'm taking it slow, not freaking out if I eat something 'not' low carb and whether my face looks differently or not, I 'feel' like it looks a little bit smaller. That...is my motivation to continue...and of course, helping keep me healthy and not reoccurring. 

Dx 1/8/2015, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 9/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 1/30/2015 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 4/23/2015 AC Surgery 7/28/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Radiation Therapy 9/1/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 10/14/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 23, 2018 03:14PM ceanna wrote:

wrmbrownie, congrats on getting started and taking it slow. I find that has worked for me. Slow but sure is better than rapid and stops. I had a slowdown from Thanksgiving thru the new year, but was pleased to see I finally got past a 10-pound round number on my scale this morning for two days in a row!!! I still have quite a ways to go, but glad to have reached a better place for me. Best wishes on continuing your low carb health betterment!!!

Jan 23, 2018 09:57PM Meow13 wrote:

I have lost 5 pounds trying for 15 more. Exercise aerobic 1hr a day eating 1200 to 1500 calories. I think I might need touch up fat graphing after I get to the weight I want.

Jan 27, 2018 03:06AM ScotBird wrote:

On the scales today for my weekly weigh in. 142.5 lbs today. I’m happy with that. I’ve also been on the too busy to eat diet TwoHobbies, it seems to work! I have a difficult and stressful work week ahead so will have to be on my guard as I often find I reach for cake in that situation. Ceanna your news has spurred me on, it must be great to have lost ANOTHER 10 lbs. I really love that “lighter” feeling especially when I get dressed in the morning and my clothes feel slightly bigger. I’m hoping and believing that I’ll be below 140lbs in a few more weeks. You ladies are really helping with your support and tips, thank you! XX

Jan 27, 2018 05:21AM TwoHobbies wrote:

Scotbird, that's my situation for sure. I am doing in 4 weeks what 3 or 4 people used to do in 8. I think next week should be the last of the super busy. Glad to have lost the few pounds I gained last year and maybe I can get back to my weight of 3 years ago. Also what may be helping me is our refrigerator died. It did start working again but we are waiting on parts to make sure it is fixed before we re-load with a lot of food, so at home we pretty much have eggs and cheese to eat. We have just been eating at panera or I grab a salad at McDonalds and when I eat my meal, I'm done.

So ladies, here's my diet plan - wink wink. Get up at 5, go to work. Coffee only until lunch. Chili or an egg and two babybel cheeses for lunch. Soup and salad for dinner. Work at home some more. Collapse into bed at 8:30.

Congratulations, Brownie and Meow on your weight loss. I know it feels good! Let's keep up the good work. Slow and steady wins the race?

Jan 27, 2018 11:39AM ceanna wrote:

I had a positive experience, and a lot of work, this week as I went through my closet looking for pants that actually fit--instead of baggy!!! I'm on my way to Goodwill to drop off 9 pairs of pants that are too big!!! Talk about motivation!!

Congrats to those losing-- slow and steady!!! TwoHobbies, take care of yourself and don't work too hard--jobs have a way of expanding every time we meet an impossible deadline, I think the powers that be assume we can take on more!!!

Jan 27, 2018 06:11PM Towardshealth17 wrote:

Way to go Scotbird!! Nicely done! Smile

Jan 28, 2018 02:49PM - edited Jan 28, 2018 02:51PM by Hanging_in_there

I lost about 30 lbs from Chemo. Of course only fat people can lose that much. I have 8 lbs to get to the top of my normal weight BMI chart and I would be happy with that. I'm older and that adds weight. I was buff at age 20 at 140 lbs all muscle (but then I thought it was fat, only recently I looked at slides and realized I was buff! The problem was I was a size 12 in 1980, which was considered fat. A size 12 in 1980 is a size 8 today!

How am I going to lose more weight. I don't know. I have switched to a plant based diet. I can't find anything to eat, since I'm still not accustomed to it. I have gotten a much smaller stomach since chemo. That means it takes me forever to eat and I don't eat as much. I just gave up sweets 6 days ago. You can still be vegan and eat smarties, some dark chocolate, oreos etc, but I'm now trying to avoid those for health. Ah, but corn chips have not gone away yet, I haven't found anything to replace them.

I think taking a long time to eat is a good strategy for weigh loss. I used to eat so fast, I would still be eating before my stomach could register I was full.

Dx 10/31/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/26/2017 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Jan 30, 2018 03:55PM IAmElaine wrote:

Ceanna wrote: " IAmElaine, congratulations on keeping it off all these years. I've maintained during the holidays and am trying to get back on low to lower carbs to continue to lose weight. Would you mind describing what you eat during a typical day. I do count calories currently but without the low carbs I don't lose weight even at 1300 calories. Do you eat any dairy or nuts? Thanks in advance."

Ceanna, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back here. I haven't been back to the site in a few weeks.

To answer your question, yes, I eat almonds or walnuts three or so times a week. I eat dairy in the form of cheeses and also eggs. I drink coffee with heavy cream. All of these foods are very low in carbs.

I do IF (intermittent fasting) of 19 hours each day. So a typical day for me is coffee with heavy cream until 2:00pm or so. I drink 64 ozs of water each day as well. My window of eating begins around 7:00pm. This is when I eat my big meal of the day. I start with a very large mixed greens salad with an avocado, tomato, cucumber, black olives and shredded cheese. I use a ceasar dressing that has <1 gram of carb per 2 T. I am having shrimp scampi tonight served over a bed of riced cauliflower and a side of steamed broccoli. Tomorrow night I will have another large salad but we are having pan seared salmon, Brussels sprouts and a scoop of mashed cauliflower.

When we eat out I either order a steak or grilled fish or chicken. Instead of potatoes, I ask for an extra serving of whatever their vegetable of the day is. Eating out is very easy if you are eating low carb.

Congrats to all the ladies who are continuing to lose! You've got this!

Diagnosed March 1, 2004 with stage 3C ILC, 7cm tumor with 11+ nodes

Jan 30, 2018 04:27PM ceanna wrote:

IAm, thanks for the information on your eating patterns. I do use many of your ideas like no potatoes and extra veggies, and do about a 16 hour fast each day. I've probably eaten too many nuts and cheese, but glad to hear dairy works for you. Many Keto diets cut the dairy and I would miss cheese more than the sugar and flour and processed carbs I've given up. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2018 02:58AM ScotBird wrote:

Hello everyone, I’m pleased to have lost a pound this week, weighed in at 141.25 lbs today. I need to try really hard to keep exercising each day and to eat healthily - I want to get towards the middle of the healthy BMI range, so I have to lose about 15lbs to get to a target of 126lbs. I find it quite hard to keep up my motivation and find that thinking about food, and planning what I’m going to eat takes up too much of my thoughts. A broken refrigerator sounds like a great plan. If the food isn’t there you won’t eat it. My weekly check in here helps a lot with keeping me on track. Ceanna it sounds as though you are doing amazingly well, keep it up and let’s allgive ourselves a big cheer for our good intentions and good behaviour!

Feb 3, 2018 06:55AM Momine wrote:

Ceanna, I am not on a keto diet, but I do try to limit white carbs. In the beginning it was hard, but I realized that the answer is to eat piles and piles of veggies, at least for me. So, instead of a protein-rice/potato-2 broccoli spears meal, I have my serving of protein and 2 large sides of veggies. I do eat some carbs, but stick to things like legumes, bulgur and sweet potatoes.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/19/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/12/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/8/2012 Surgery 3/7/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 3/31/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 3, 2018 10:13AM - edited Feb 3, 2018 10:17AM by IAmElaine

Happy Saturday girls!

For those of you interested a keto diet and it's health benefits as it relates to cancer, here is a good link. There are many referenced studies you can click on throughout the site. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-101

Scotbird, I agree that posting a weekly weigh in helps. I did that for a few years on another site as I was learning to maintain.

Feb 4, 2018 06:37AM Misstic wrote:

Hello everyone, as @IAmElaine I am on a keto diet for one month now. I found this diet very easy because of the appetite fading. I have lost 7 pounds. This is the most effective diet I experienced. Good luck to all.

Dx 6/26/2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left) Chemotherapy 8/24/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/8/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 2/4/2016 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting Dx 1/5/2018, IDC, Left, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/5/2018 Gemzar (gemcitabine), Navelbine (vinorelbine)

Feb 4, 2018 06:52AM Shellsatthebeach wrote:

Congrats for all those that are losing weight! I looked into the Keto diet and it sounds interesting. I ended up going with Weight Watchers. They have this new thing now where they have a bunch of foods you don't have to track like fish and chicken which is helpful for me. It makes it easier and more satisfying when I don't have to eat one of those things the size of a deck of cards. No way would that make me feel full. So, I eat a normal size portion of fish for me that about 6 to 8 oz. (not 3 oz) and load up the plate with veggies. I have lost a little over 5 pounds and more importantly feel satisfied rather than hungry.

Dx 3/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+, HER2- Surgery 8/28/2017 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 6/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 9/24/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 10/17/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere)

Feb 4, 2018 12:58PM - edited Feb 4, 2018 12:59PM by Meow13

Another good way is to eat 2 snacks a day. I usually eat an apple plus cheese stick or some other fruit. I find by doing this I avoid being hungry. Because if you are feeling hungry you tend to eat too much. Also drinking water or hot tea.

Also avoid watching food commercials on tv. Turn them off.

Feb 4, 2018 01:11PM marijen wrote:

I found a pack of 14 apples at Costco for $9.98. I thought that was a good deal. I try to eat one everyday. When they come in a pastic pac there’s less handling and bruising by Joe Public.

Feb 6, 2018 01:23PM IAmElaine wrote:

Misstic, I agree that keto is simple and very effective. Good for you on losing that 7 lbs! The thing I like about keto is the loss of cravings and the fact that I never feel hunger. I am a girl who loves to eat and those self deprivation diets just do not work for me. I've been maintaining on keto for so long that it is a way of life for me now, not a diet.

Feb 10, 2018 04:33PM ScotBird wrote:

I tried hard this week but put on weight. I weighed in at 141.75lbs this morning. It’s so difficult for me to eat less and exercise more. I must try harder

Feb 10, 2018 05:00PM Meow13 wrote:

Scotbird, depending on your age and height 141.75 might be fine.

I found a bmi calculator for sbmi (smart bmi) said for a woman age 59, height 5'3" a weight of 158 pounds was considered normal weight. Another calculator said a weight of 116 pounds was considered ideal for a woman 5'3", probably true if you are 20 years old.

If you work out and have muscle tone 141 might be just fine.

Page 4 of 5 (142 results)