We are 199,616 members in 81 forums discussing 146,166 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage III Breast Cancer → Topic: Losing weight to up my odds

Topic: Losing weight to up my odds

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Jul 28, 2017 10:37AM - edited Jul 28, 2017 10:38AM by Shellsatthebeach

Shellsatthebeach wrote:

Hi all! Newbie here. I was diagnosed with IDC in March. One of the things said to me by an oncologist is that to up my odds in keeping cancer at bay, I need to get rid of excess body fat (especially around the belly). Since going through perimenopause a few years back, I have put on weight rapidly (approximately 25 pounds) to a body that needed to lose about that amount of weight. Basically, I have around 50 pounds to lose. Any suggestions from people who are going through the same thing or have went through the same thing? There are so many diets out there and I know some are better than others. What has worked for you? BTW, not going to diet until after I finish my treatment. I just want to prepare myself.

Dx 3/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+, HER2- Surgery 8/28/2017 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 6/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 9/24/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 10/17/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere)

Page 4 of 4 (100 results)

Posts 91 - 100 (100 total)

Jan 8, 2018 10:16AM Towardshealth17 wrote:

Two Ingredient Dough Everything Bagels

Good morning Scotbird! I had a culinary discovery today. I found a YouTube recipe to make bagels out of just two ingredients. No fat Greek yogurt and self rising flour. They came out great. Not sure if that works for your preferences but thought I would pass it along. You can also use it to make pizza crust or rolls and it is high in protein from the yogurt.

Dx 10/6/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/8/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 08:48AM ScotBird wrote:

Yessss, I’m down to 143.5lbs today! Good week!

ScotBird Dx 1/18/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/8/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 7/25/2016 Breast

Jan 13, 2018 10:56PM ceanna wrote:

Scotbird, good for you!!! Once past the holidays is seems a little easier. I am down 2 pounds since Christmas, but I have had a great craving for salty things since then! I bought GimMe organic roasted seaweed packets at my grocery store and find that it does satisfy the salt craving with only 65mg of sodium and 25 calories per serving.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jan 14, 2018 08:57AM TwoHobbies wrote:

Good job, Scotbird and Ceanna. I'm also happy I have lost the weight I gained this fall. Next goal is to lose the 5 pounds I've gained to get back to where I was two or three years ago. I have to go with small goals!

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole. Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 15, 2018 03:14PM Towardshealth17 wrote:

Bravo on your scale victory Scotbird! 🙌👍🌟👏🤗💃🤸♀️🌷

Dx 10/6/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/8/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 18, 2018 08:23PM ceanna wrote:

How's everyone doing? I'm still struggling with carvings for salty things. I'm eating some nuts but too high in calories. Other than the seaweed I like, what suggestions does everyone have for low carb salty foods? BP, sodium, and potassium levels ok so I don't worry too much about salt but would like to keep it low.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jan 19, 2018 02:55AM Meow13 wrote:

If you do 1hr of aerobic exercise where you are sweaty I think you should not have to worry too much about salt intake. Drink tons of water.

Jan 19, 2018 04:18PM ceanna wrote:

Thanks, Meow, I don't have a problem with sodium but just craving salty things right now but want to keep it low carb. Already doing my exercises and I try to drink at least 80 oz of water per day. Any suggestions on low carb salty foods?

12 hours ago ScotBird wrote:

145.5lbs today. Up a bit on last week but not too bad considering I did lots of entertaining including a big party after which I ate all the leftovers! The next 2 weeks I have almost no social plans so no excuses for over eating. My physio (for my knee operation I had ACL reconstruction in November) is going well and I’m allowed to use the static bike and crosstrainer so am planning to do that every day for up to an hour. I am sure that I WILL lose this weight, slowly and surely.

TowardsHealth the bagels sound great thanks for the tip - I haven’t got around to trying them yet. Ceanna I know what you mean about salty things. I think it’s OK to eat things that are high in calories if you don’t have too much. I like salted cashews, even though they are calorific, I do eat a handful of nuts most days because I think they are good for me. Every thing in moderation X

ScotBird Dx 1/18/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/8/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 7/25/2016 Breast

20 minutes ago TwoHobbies wrote:

I am more a sweet tooth so I cant say I have ever craved salty, but I will mix a few salted nuts with raw- like pecans and that gives you a salt taste without too much. Olives and pickles would be salty and low carb too,

I am on the toobusytoeat diet. Several days lately I didnt get breakfast or lunch. Down to my lowest weight in a year. Whatecer works,

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole. Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 4 (100 results)