We are 211,213 members in 82 forums discussing 151,373 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Any Stage 3 taking Zometa with their AI meds?

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Jul 4, 2018 03:46AM

DodgersGirl wrote:

reading about Zometa (a bisphosphonate) and how studies are showing that taking it with your AI helps prevent bone mets.

Anyone already taking Zometa as a mets prohibitor??

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/4/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/10/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 10/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 2 of 2 (47 results)

Posts 31 - 47 (47 total)

Aug 23, 2018 10:27PM JoE777 wrote:

Be sure to drink plenty of water. At least 3 quarts a day

Dx 2/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/3/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 2/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Kisqali Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy Other Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 23, 2018 10:50PM JoE777 wrote:

I'm reading posts about zometo is used for prevention of bone mets. It is used as a support med to treat symptoms of cancer-hypercalcimia, bone fracture. Prolia is lightweight if you have significant mets. Took prolia when none metastatic with stage 2 on femara. If your doctor mentions it to you he must see a need

Dx 2/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/3/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 2/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Kisqali Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy Other Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 23, 2018 11:15PM PreludeSing wrote:

Thanks for the advice ladies 😊😊🙏🙏 I really appreciate it....bless you all!

Dx 6/2/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/6/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/26/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Aug 25, 2018 01:17PM PreludeSing wrote:

ok...did Zometa yesterday. Felt fine, even energetic the whole day. Then, BAM!! at 10pm at night, I start shivering like crazy,, temp spikes to 38.8 and my body starts to ache like I've been rolled over by a train. Blech. Had to take neurofen. Still aching and feverish this morning. hope this goes away quickly...

Dx 6/2/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/6/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/26/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Aug 25, 2018 01:42PM JoE777 wrote:

PreludeSing, hang in there. My first infusion hit me the second day. Much like you. Drink plenty of water. I have an infusion every 4 weeks and each time theSE has lessened. I call it my clean up drug. it has gotten the hypercalcimia under control it and strengthened my bones. Especially in my spine and lower back. After my next infusion the onc says she can spread them out every 12 weeks . Hope you have a peaceful night. It will get better.

Aug 25, 2018 01:49PM PreludeSing wrote:

thank you so much JoE777 - just what I needed to hear...really appreciate your advice 😘. Stay well!

Prelude

xox

Aug 30, 2018 02:07PM FarAwayToo wrote:

Prelude - how are you feeling now?

My MO wanted me on Zometa as soon as I was healed from BMX, but I took some time to get clearance from my dentist - ended up extracting a tooth, and then took 2 months to heal from that at the advice of the oral surgeon. He examined me today and said that my jaw bone is fully healed and I can start on Zometa.

I just had exchange surgery and prophylactic ovary removal last week, but I feel pretty good. Wondering if I should schedule the infusion ASAP or wait a few more weeks to fully heal from this latest surgery, I will send my MO or her NP a message.

My MO wanted me on Zometa because of several trials that showed it to be beneficial in preventing bone mets, but I also have osteoporosis (in one of the hips, osteopenia in another hip and in the spine). I will be doing an infusion every 6 month.

Dx 8/31/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 2/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 2/28/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 8/21/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Aug 30, 2018 08:56PM PreludeSing wrote:

Hiya Faraway...I am much better now nearly 6 days after infusion. I started to feel better about Tuesday after the Friday infusion. Wed was a little more fatigued than usual and today finally feeling a bit like my old self...

Yeah I had both my bottom teeth extracted in March this year and a general dental clean up before starting Zometa.

I would schedule the Zometa for a time when you have been feeling generally well for a weeks and are maybe 3/4 weeks out from surgery and are able to have a few days of rest after the infusion. Then have some Netflix, ibuprofen or panadol handy and drink lots of water if you can manage it to flush your system. I was literally shivering and hobbling to the bathroom and back the first night but it slowly improved.

my Onc says I tend to get the worst of the side effects so your experience may be better than mine. I also suffered horribly with AC chemo. Lost 15 kg, was horribly nauseated all the time and had mouth sores, ulcers, blackened skin, crinkly skin, you name it, I had it 🤪....after that, Taxol was like a lovely walk in a shady park 😊...

All the best Faraway 💐💐

Sep 1, 2018 06:17AM FarAwayToo wrote:

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Prelude!

Dx 8/31/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 2/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 2/28/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 8/21/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Sep 3, 2018 10:12AM hopefour wrote:

I have a question...I receive zometa every 6 months and have for 3 years. How long are some of you doing it for and is there a study that states how long to do it as a preventive. You Thank you for any info.

Dx 5/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 4/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 9, 2018 07:27PM maryannecb wrote:

Hi I started Zometa 10 years ago when I ready about some early evidence for prevention of boney mets. My oncologist agreed as I alos had osteoporosis on my bone density testing. He chose to give it every 3 months...and is reluctant to stop it as he feels it may be why I am stilll disease free. I suffer bad muscle aching for 2-3 days but it is little price to pay. By the way, I am 13 years with NED.

Fists up!

Fists up! Dx 9/20/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Sep 13, 2018 04:37AM Dogwood1 wrote:

I have my first Zometa Infusion today and start Arimidex when I finish radiation in a few weeks. I am wondering if you do have the side effects are they right away? I have a 2 hour drive home and have to work tomorrow and drive back for my radiation treatment tomorrow. Just wanting a heads up on what to expect.

Sep 13, 2018 07:15AM Anna-33 wrote:

sorry for my late answear... I started zometa in january 2018....

Dx 3/1/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 8/25 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 13, 2018 08:40AM sbelizabeth wrote:

Dogwood, I had one dose of Zometa before I was switched to Prolia. The evening of the day after the infusion was when I started feeling lousy. You should be ok for work/rads tomorrow. No guarantees, though!

pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.... Dx 10/20/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/15/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2012 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Sep 13, 2018 12:47PM JoE777 wrote:

My SE doesn't show up until the next day but hangs around for about 10-14 days and is sporadic now. They decrease as time goes by. Been on a monthly infusion since March

Sep 15, 2018 04:59PM Humblepeace wrote:

Hi Dogwood1,

I had an infusion on a Thursday afternoon around 2pm and I felt pretty well until bedtime on Friday night. I woke to get water and go to the bathroom and upon returning to be I began to shiver uncontrollably. It lasted for about an hour, I prayed the whole time. The shivering stopped and went back to sleep and awoke with some aches which I took Tylenol and it helped considerably. I have been okay since and it has been over a week ago.

Hope this helps

Hu

Dx 3/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 6/11/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Chemotherapy Surgery Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Sep 16, 2018 04:05AM - edited Sep 16, 2018 04:06AM by new_direction

Im also doing zometa every 6 months. Flu like side effects only after the first infusion.

Page 2 of 2 (47 results)