Join Us

We are 218,658 members in 84 forums discussing 161,163 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: pain and other sensations near the mx scar

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Nov 21, 2020 12:15PM - edited Nov 22, 2020 02:59PM by TectonicShift

TectonicShift wrote:

I'm nine years out from mx. I have little twinges and vague pain - I'd call it tenderness - in the area of my mastectomy scar. Sometimes I think it's nerves regenerating or scar tissue just being scar tissue. Sometimes I have vague pains in what feels like the ribs or the muscles or cartilage. There is an area on my rib that has some pain when I press on it. Not terrible but it does feel sore.

Does anyone else here have aches and pains, burnings and twitches and twinges and tingling, feelings of tightness, etc, in the chest area at or near the scar or in the ribs undneath so far out from surgery and rads?

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Nov 21, 2020 02:52PM MinusTwo wrote:

Tectonic - I answered your same post on the other thread - PMPS

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 21, 2020 03:07PM TectonicShift wrote:

Oh thanks, MT. It's good?? to hear others with similar diagnoses and timelines have some problems too. (Not good but you know what I mean.) Happy

I'm especially interested in people farther out from surgery like you and others on Stage 3 board. Hence the double post here and on the Pain board.

Nov 21, 2020 07:58PM Ausykaren wrote:

Hi Techtonicshift,

I know I’m not as far out as you but I have rib pain on my cancer side. I was sent for X-rays which came back fine and when I told my oncologist she said it is common and is from the radiation. I don’t poke my ribs anymore cause it makes it worse and just makes me worry.

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 11/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 21, 2020 08:27PM MinusTwo wrote:

OK - I'll copy my other post here too.

7 years out - I still have twinges & some pain mostly on the side & arm when I went back for ALND. And yes - radiation problems are forever. I try to stretch every day so the muscles don't pull back & stiffen up. I was just thinking the other day - since it's constant and not debilitating, I'm brought up short every once in awhile trying to remember what it was like before. Also I have breast & truncal lymphadema so I always have to watch that. It makes it impossible to forget BC.

Like Magiclight - I also have neuropathy in my feet that can travel up my calves sometimes and never regained full feeling in my fingers. Fortunately there isn't much pain, but it's like having dead blocks of ice for feet. I have to watch where I'm walking so I don't stumble or trip.

I guess I just try to ignore random pains - when I'm not pissed about something I can no longer accomplish.
2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 22, 2020 12:58PM sbelizabeth wrote:

It's not constant by any means, but the tissues in my chest, back, and armpit, that were unlucky enough to be in the radiation field in 2012, are very prone to cramp. All I have to do is move a certain way, reach a certain direction with that arm, and boom, agonizing cramp. It's not worrisome, just annoying.

pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.... Dx 10/20/2011, IDC/IBC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/15/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2012 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Nov 22, 2020 04:44PM trinigirl50 wrote:

Hi Tetonicshift

I have exactly the same type of pains that you describe. I have a particularly sore spot on my ribcage above my implant. Its been 5 years. I attribute it to radiation.

trinigirl50 Dx 3/7/2015, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 20/24 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2015 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/13/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/1/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Nov 23, 2020 12:00AM - edited Nov 23, 2020 12:03AM by Newnorm

Hi TechtonicShift

I'm not as far out from surgery as you are but I do have tingling and some times sharp twitches that are painful. These pains happen about every 3 months or so. I've also had two episodes of Costochondritis on my cancer side, which was really painful. Like others here I do try and stretch and rub to loosen the tightness since I never had reconstruction. As I say, BC is the gift that keeps on giving! If it's really worrying you, and lingers around or gets worse, you could always get it checked. During my last chest ultrasound they told me they can check for bone irregularities to rule out mets. Good luck.

Dx 12/23/2016, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/6/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2017 Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 7/28/2017 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Nov 23, 2020 07:08PM - edited Nov 23, 2020 07:41PM by JMouse

Hi, I'm only two years out from my mastectomy (no reconstruction), but you've perfectly described my symptoms, too. I have an achy spot near my drain scars I'm particularly concerned about. My oncologist responded to my concerns with: ribs just can be tender. My surgeon said fat deposits can become sore. I assumed she meant left-over tissue from surgery. (I had hoped by this point I'd look sleek and smooth like a seal, ;) but alas no.) Both of these conversations were frustrating.

I understand your concerns. It's nice to see you're 9 years out. :D I wish you many years to come. Please let us know how you do.

Multiple tumors with lymphovascular invasion. Dx 9/18/2018, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 16/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)