Join Us

We are 222,400 members in 83 forums discussing 162,494 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Stage III and Verzenio

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Jan 23, 2021 06:35PM

GraceBer wrote:

I may need to venture into the mets forum for SE coping strategies, but I’m wondering if there’s anyone else who’s been put on Verzenio (vs Ibrance or Kisquali) to prevent recurrence? My MSK oncs and Yale onc (I switched to Yale this past summer) all agreed that I should be put on a CDK 4/6 inhibitor. We waited until this fall (regional recurrence that made me stage III - DXed July 2019), due to finishing treatments and me pushing it off further due to Covid, to start. And though I was originally going to be put on Ibrance I was put on Verzenio due to its positive data coming out of the trial.

Oof! Verzenio has been rough. The Covid silver-lining is that being at home all the time is convenient for my now daily attacks of diarrhea, but I’ve got to get it under control because I want to have a better quality of life (especially in the Covid After Times).

Immodium is pretty effective at stopping the diarrhea after one or two episodes, but it hasn’t been effective used as a preventative. So, I’ve turned to probiotics a week ago. I’m taking a daily capsule of Align and trying to eat some yogurt every day. So far, I’m seeing no improvement with the probiotics.

I’m trying to up my water intake and have supplemented it with the Liquid IV powder (basically, healthier Gatorade - electrolytes with more vitamins and less sugar). That’s helping me with dehydration and keeping labs looking pretty good.

i’m taking 150mg - the recommended dose. If I can’t find a better way to manage the GI side effects, I think we’ll need to reduce my dose.

Ugh! This sucks 😕

Dx 11/26/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Left

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jan 26, 2021 10:52PM Divergent wrote:

Hi GraceBer

I'm not taking Verenzio but I'm interested in starting it. Sorry to hear about your GI issues! I hope you are able to figure out some way to deal with it. Will you be on Verenzio for 3 years? Has it been approved for early stage cancer already?

Divergent

In phase 3 clinical trial for Keytruda (NCT03725059, Keynote-756) Dx 6/2019, IDC, Right, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/19/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/8/2020 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 2/7/2020 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Jan 27, 2021 01:25PM 2019whatayear wrote:

Divergent it has not been approved for early stage cancer people

5/6/2019 IDC 2cm, micromet 1/9 nodes, BRCA2+, ER+, PR+, HER- BMX 6/2019, A/C & Taxol 2019, Radiation, BSO - preventative 2/2020, Letrozole 3/1/2020

Jan 27, 2021 02:50PM - edited Jan 27, 2021 03:00PM by exbrnxgrl

Verzenio has only been approved for metastatic breast cancer, stage IV. It is possible that an mo can use it off label for lower stages but I don't know if clinical trials have been conducted for patients other than stage IV

* Update- There is a clinical trial in progress and it seems promising for lower stages.

https://www.cancerhealth.com/article/verzenio-improves-outcomes-early-breast-cancer-patients

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jan 27, 2021 07:33PM GraceBer wrote:

Yes, it’s because of the clinical trials that I and others (especially those of us who’ve had a regional recurrence) are getting prescribed Verzenio, Ibrance and Kisquali. My current onc and my former onc at MSK were ready to put me on it months ago, before the Verzenio trial for early stagers (although, I guess I’m technically considered advance non-metastatic stage) released any official data. But I decided to hold off until a couple of months ago because of Covid.

And update RE GI side effects:I met with my onc this morning. My labs from a few days ago continue to look good, but my GI issues are worse. So, she wants me at start taking 2 Imodium pills 12 hours apart. We’re hoping this will get in front of the GI issues. If in a week that doesn’t help things, she’s we’re going to the next dose down: 100mg. So, we’ll see. Wish me luck! 🙂

Dx 11/26/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Left

Jan 28, 2021 03:00AM - edited Jan 28, 2021 09:04AM by Ausykaren

There is the MonarchE phase 3 clinical trial being conducted at the moment on advanced Stage 3's. You can look it up. There has already been promising results realeased. I took verzenio fortwo years and finished up over a year ago.

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 11/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 28, 2021 07:08AM GraceBer wrote:

As a way to manage my anxiety this time around with the new diagnosis, I’m actually not delving deeply into the research and am instead relying on my MO to update me on all new data It’s my buffer strategy. Last time around I got lost down the rabbit holes of research and my anxiety was out of control. So, I purposefully haven’t looked up the trial results. My vocabulary has definitely suffered from it because I couldn’t recall which trial (Monarche or Pallas) involved my specific situation. This strategy has been enormously helpful cooing-wise but damn did it take years if therapy and a handful of switching to MO to find one I trusted implicitly to get to this place. I am definitely a control freak who usually craves every bit of information.

Anyway, TLDR, I won’t be looking up the trial data myself, but my MO does say it’s been overall promising.

I love how the pharmaceutical industry continues to use different brand names across countries for the same medication. It always trips me up. Assuming you were on abemaciclib (I had to look that up because I’m never going to remember it), how did you tolerate it. Karen? Any coping tips? And how many mgs was your dise

Jan 28, 2021 09:02AM Ausykaren wrote:

Yes I was on abemaciclib. I was extremely lucky and had no side effects at all. From memory I think I was on 150mg twice a day with no food allowed an hour before or an hour after the dose. All the very best to you.

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 11/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 14, 2021 10:05AM NotAsCalmAsILook wrote:

my MO wants me to add verzenio. I’m stage 3A. Well. My cancer is stage 3A.

It went through and was ok’d by my prescription coverage, but had a monthly $775 copay. That’s a lot. Especially for a med I’ll be on for years.

I got the savings card from verzenio, which should cover the copay.... but they haven’t updated their site for anything but stage IV. (I called because I wasn’t comfortable checking that I had it...)

the MO mentioned the Monarche study. I’m (idealistically) hopeful that if the study has made this available as a useful therapy for stage 3 they’d update their literature.

I’ve glanced at the studies, but they make my eyes gloss over...

Has anyone had trouble with the cost of this med? Or experience with their savings card

Dx 7/2020, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/12 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

May 4, 2021 02:37PM - edited May 4, 2021 02:38PM by Divergent

I also signed up for the cost savings card. I had to call them too because I am stage 3, not metastatic. So far so good with the card. I haven't started taking it yet because of some problems with healing after my reconstruction. Hopefully I can start in a few weeks.

In phase 3 clinical trial for Keytruda (NCT03725059, Keynote-756) Dx 6/2019, IDC, Right, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/19/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/8/2020 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 2/7/2020 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)