Join Us

We are 224,391 members in 83 forums discussing 163,527 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: 1-month delay in any form of treatment a cause for concern?

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Apr 6, 2021 04:14PM

berkeleydaughter wrote:

Hi everyone, My mom was diagnosed with HER2 positive, Stage 3 breast cancer (6+ cm mass in breast as well as cancer in the axillary and possibly cervical nodes) almost a month ago. I am really worried that this is too long of a wait. For reasons I won't go into, we switched her insurance at the start of this month and she is still waiting to get in with an oncologist, which means she likely won't be able to start neoadjuvant chemo for another couple weeks.

Shortly after her diagnosis, her tumor team told us that she needed to undergo a mastectomy and lumpectomy first before undergoing chemo. The day before surgery, her surgeon consulted with a diff oncologist who advised that she needed to undergo chemo first. So we lost over 2 weeks waiting for surgery to go and now we're being delayed because no oncologist can see her before next week. I also can't get anyone on the phone to reassure us that the additional delay will not be a problem.

Has anyone been in a similar situation who can offer reassurances or suggestions?

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Log in to post a reply

Apr 7, 2021 01:03PM Redcanoe wrote:

her2+ cancer is very aggressive. I personally would push to see if she can be seen sooner.

Toni - age 34, mom to 4 kids ages 11, 8, 5 and 3 Dx 11/19/2020, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 12/14/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 1/11/2021 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/11/2021 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 6/9/2021 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Apr 7, 2021 01:20PM moth wrote:

I've not seen research about timing between dx & neoadjuvant but there's some research about timing from surgery to start of chemo which suggested <60 days was an appropriate goal.

So she has an appointment next week? That's excellent. Bring all your copies of your records with you. get everything - because I'd worry about switches from insurance screwing things up. At the point you don't want any delays due to test results not being available.

Be ready for the appt with list of questions. Find out if they want more tests or scans. HER2+ chemo treatment can sometimes affect the heart so they might want an echo or MUGA test as a baseline.

Hang in there! It will get better once she gets a plan. This waiting & being bounced around part must be so stressful. I hope you can find something fun to do to distract each other.

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx 12/9/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/16/2020 Femara (letrozole) Dx 1/28/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External: Bone
Log in to post a reply

Apr 7, 2021 02:12PM berkeleydaughter wrote:

Thanks for your posts. The good news is the new team reviewed my mom's file this morning and scheduled her for a port placement in a couple of days. So hopefully, she'll be able to start chemo within a couple days after meeting her new oncologist next week. We're heading to the beach tomorrow to take in some fresh air and take our minds off the waiting game.

Log in to post a reply

Apr 7, 2021 03:18PM 2019whatayear wrote:

great news! I hope you and your mom have a wonderful weekend

5/6/2019 IDC 2cm, micromet 1/9 nodes, BRCA2+, ER+, PR+, HER- BMX 6/2019, A/C & Taxol 2019, Radiation, BSO - preventative 2/2020, Letrozole 3/1/2020, Started Lynparza for 1 year preventative on 7/18/2021
Log in to post a reply

Apr 8, 2021 07:47AM jhl wrote:

Good news! Things are moving, just slowly. Enjoy the beach and the spring weather.

Dx 11/15/2019, IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)