Topic: Leaving Stage 3 for Stage 4

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Jan 24, 2023 09:28AM

Posted on: Jan 24, 2023 09:28AM

threetree wrote:

I was hoping to make the 5 year mark this summer, and add my name to the list of those who did make it, but I found out yesterday afternoon in the ER, that the cancer has now spread to the bones in my chest and spine. Not sure about next steps, as need to get in touch with oncologist for "new plan", but not looking good right now at all.

I truly hope that the rest of you in this group, never have to leave it and just stay where you are. Good luck to you all - looks like it really does come down to luck in the end.

Page 2 of 2 (14 results)

Jan 24, 2023 04:18PM threetree wrote:

Love it, Alice. So cute and comforting!

Jan 27, 2023 12:22PM wrenn wrote:

Threetree, I hope you are getting answers and are getting used to this new world you are facing. So sorry you have to deal with this awful news. Take care. Heart

Triple Negative Metaplastic. I had one dose of Cytoxan/Taxotere and was then cut off due to complications. Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Simple; Mastectomy (Right): Simple

Jan 27, 2023 01:22PM threetree wrote:

Hi Wrenn - So nice to hear from you, and thank you very much for your encouraging message! Over the last couple of months, I had been meaning to email you, but just never got around to it. I was a bit extra tired, but had just chalked it up to the winter slump that I get every year. This all seems like it came on pretty suddenly and severely all at once. I had always thought that if things were getting worse, you'd get some gradual, but increasing symptoms of something, but I guess not always.

I am indeed, trying to get used to this "new world" you noted, and it is not easy. Trying to take things one day at a time, but so much to do, and such a mental wreck that it's hard to get organized and on task. I have a CT and bone scan scheduled on Feb 14 (Valentine's Day no less), as that's as soon as they could get me in, as they are way behind due to Covid, etc. After that the oncologists seems to think there is some sort of chemo other endocrine therapy, besides Letrozole that might help me for awhile. It all remains to be seen.

Speaking of Covid, I have begun to wonder if having had Covid has anything to do with this. I'm not one at all that thinks Covid or the vaccines directly cause cancer, but I am wondering if undergoing a bout with Covid, doesn't weaken your immune system enough to let those dormant cancer cells come back to life. I was doing some online reading and there are some researchers who are looking into that. They are saying that while there is no direct cause of cancer from Covid or the vaccine, having Covid can change the "tumor microenvironment" to such a degree that it does literally kickstart those cells that have been lying in wait.

I had the vaccine and booster, but got Covid last April - not a severe case of course, but I have not been the same ever since. I've always been more achy and fatigued, brain foggy, etc. ever since I had Covid. The fatigue got worse the last couple of months, and then bam, I found myself about ready to collapse the other day, so went up to the ER.

That's the deal, and I guess I just have to take whatever comes. I sure hope you're doing OK Wrenn. Again, really nice to hear from you! Thanks a bunch.

Jan 27, 2023 04:13PM wrenn wrote:

I had posted earlier in this thread but I think it might have been when you were typing a message and may have missed it. I have been thinking of you since reading this news.

I can't imagine dealing with the shock of it coming on so fast with no notice. I too expect to be given notice from cancer or at least suspect it or something. Getting the news like this had to be so hard.

I'm not sure about the covid angle. It seems like recurrences are so random and hard to trace why they happen. :-(

Email me any time you need to just vent/rant. Hopefully time until your scans will go by quickly. Jan is almost over. It is hard to track these threads today since the Active thread page seems broken.

Anyway, take care and we are all with you. xo

Triple Negative Metaplastic. I had one dose of Cytoxan/Taxotere and was then cut off due to complications. Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Simple; Mastectomy (Right): Simple

Page 2 of 2 (14 results)

Scroll to top button