Oct 12, 2013 10:26PM Beesie wrote:
Have you had the additional area of DCIS, the area found by the MRI, excised? Or are you thinking of watching and waiting with this area of DCIS still in your breast?
Generally the risk with a watch and wait approach is that there really is no way to monitor DCIS progression so that it can be caught just as (or just before) it becomes invasive. That's impossible. In fact if you have what appears to be more DCIS in your breast, there's actually no way to know if it really is all DCIS or if there might actually be a small amount of invasive cancer already present. When I was diagnosed, my mammo was not overly suspicious, my stereotactic biopsy found just ADH and then when I had surgery, what turned up was two large areas of high grade DCIS with comedo necrosis and a micro invasion of IDC, and no clean margins. Then I had an MRI and even more DCIS was seen - and there was no way to know if some IDC might be in there as well. So very reluctantly, I had a mastectomy. It was not what I wanted, it's not what I would ever have chosen to do, but both breast surgeons I spoke to felt that it was medically necessary. Personally I have a pretty high risk tolerance, higher than most women who post here, I think, but I would not have knowingly left high grade DCIS in my breast. It's a ticking time bomb.
In your case, consider that a 69 Oncotype score means you have a high risk of an invasive recurrence - and that's assuming that all the known areas of DCIS are fully removed with acceptable margins. If you stop now, with questionable margins and possibly another area of DCIS in your breast, I'd guess that a recurrence, and quite possibly an invasive recurrence, is virtually guaranteed.