Join Us

We are 220,441 members in 84 forums discussing 161,933 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Time limit to start rads

Forum: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for DCIS.

Posted on: Jun 12, 2007 09:29PM

rubysmom wrote:

Hi, I'm posting this question for my mother. My mother was diagnosed with DCIS on May 7. She had a lumpectomy with SNB on May 17th. The pathology report came back and it said DCIS, noninvasive and nodes were negative for cancer but one of the margins was 1mm. They gave her the option for more surgery or radiation for 6 weeks. We decided on surgery and then radiation. She had her second surgery on June 4th. Her margins are still not good (1mm). We haven't been able to speak with her doctors because they are on vacation (the rad onc and her surgeon). Anyways, if margins are still not clear then she should need another surgery right? She was suppose to start radiation on June 25th. We are currently in the process of getting her an appointment at UAB breast clinic for a second opinion. My question is what is the time limit to start radiation after surgery? Does the time limit start with her first surgery or last surgery? We don't want her treatments to be delayed but we may have to wait until we see the doctors at UAB to decide on what to do. I appreciate your input.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jun 13, 2007 05:18AM 2timer wrote:

I know that you have to be healed before you can start radiation. I had my lumpectomy on 3/30 and didn't start Rads until May 21 -- almost 2 months. I asked the Rad Onc about it and he said there wasn't any probblem with me waiting that long. The only issue is if your mother would want to do Mammosite radiation instead of the regular whole breast radiation.

Dx 3/19/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Radiation Therapy 6/25/2007 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/31/2007 Dx 7/2/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/27/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 10/23/2013 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 13, 2007 06:35AM winggirl2 wrote:

I also had DCIS and first lumpectomy surgery did not get clear margins. Went back for reincision and had success. Started radiaiton about a month after second surgery. You want to be healed somewhat before starting rads.
Best wishes to your mother.
WingGirl
WingGirl Dx 11/1/2006, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+

Jun 26, 2007 08:36PM rubysmom wrote:

Well, my mother will have to have another reexcision and it's scheduled for 7/11. I hope this will be her last surgery. If this surgery doesn't get clear margins then she will have to have a mastectomy.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)