We are 164,774 members in 80 forums discussing 129,346 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) → Topic: DCIS and Mastectomy?

Topic: DCIS and Mastectomy?

Forum: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for DCIS.

Posted on: Jun 24, 2011 02:41PM - edited Jun 24, 2011 02:43PM by HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture wrote:

Just wondering if there are ladies out there who had low-grade DCIS and opted for a mastectomy instead of lumpectomy, rads and Tamoxifen. I chose a bilateral mastectomy (preventive on one side) and thought I'd start a conversation where we can discuss our decision. I just had my surgery last week.

Dx 04/19/11, DCIS, 2cm, ER+/PR+, BRCA-, Strong family history. Opted for bilateral mastectomy. Surgery with TE's completed 6/14/11. Exchange surgery completed 11//7/11. First fat grafting competed on 3/23.

Page 1 of 11 (322 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (322 total)

Jun 24, 2011 03:06PM - edited Jun 24, 2011 03:06PM by Emaline

I had a uni-MX on my left side with immediate reconstruction.  I had a breast MRI on the right one and it is clear at this time.  My doctor is not pushing for Tamoxifen at this time. He said it is an option but he wants me to get through reconstruction, then we will discuss.

I go back to him in September for follow up. 

I am participating in one breast study. They took my history, some blood, urine and they will follow my mammograms and MRI's in the future.  I also heard about another one that is going on with a new mammogram machine that the hospital has. I think I am going to call to see if I can get in that study as well, seeing as I have dense breast. Both of these studies are for women with dense breast and cancer.

Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jun 24, 2011 03:42PM julianna51 wrote:

Hopeful - I did not have a low grade DCIS but I opted for a BMX and reconstruction.  My surgery was on May 24th.   I chose to have the BMX because I was afraid they would not be able to get all the DCIS in a lumpectomy, I was worried about more being there, wanted to avoid radiation (but still have to have it, darn it!) and I had a LCIS diagnosis in 2002 so I already felt like a walking timebomb.    I dont' have to worry about tamoxifen since I am ER-/PR-.   No regrets on the BMX.  I do miss my breasts more than I thought I would...but I'll be okay.

I'm guessing your strong family history was a factor in your decision?  I've heard from too many women that had a lumpectomy and then later had to come back for a mastectomy who say...I wish I would have done it in the first place.

I hope you are feeling better every day.

Emmaline - the studies sound very interesting.

BMX 5/24/11 T1mic Rads completed 9/22/11 Dx 4/25/2011, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 5/23/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 6/11/2012 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jun 24, 2011 03:59PM cinnamonsmiles wrote:

I had low grade DCIS with ADH and some other precancer in the right breast. The biopsy came back ADH, but they didn't trust that there wasn't cancer in another part of the large lump, so I was scheduled for a lumpectomy to get a bigger sample.After the lumpectomy, the surgeon drew a picture of my milk ducts and it appeared there was rampant pre-cancer and cancer cells all over. It looked to me that with that much in what she took out and no where close to clear margins, that I was choosing a uni-mastectomy. When the MRI pre-surgery came back, there was a spot on the left breast. I had already made up my mind if they ever even suspected anything on the other breast I would have it removed as well,skipping the biopsy and lumpectomy. The left breast turned out to be PASH, a benign tumor whose only treatment is surgery anyway and was so far back, I did not regret my choice. I did not have reconstruction, nor will I ever.My surgeon was great by telling me that mastectomy doesn't neccessarily clear you from radiation or IDC. I was clear post-BMX.

Jun 25, 2011 01:27AM - edited Jun 25, 2011 05:44AM by AgathaFran

My initial diagnosis following a core biopsy, of one of several areas of calcification, was low grade DCIS.  My friend had a lumpectomy for a similar diagnosis which did not get clear margins and revealed a higher grade extensive DCIS. She went on to have a UMX without reconstruction and needed no further treatment.

Being privy to her experience taught me a thing or two and after reading other similar experiences here, I told my BS that I would prefer to go straight to UMX without reconstruction. He agreed with my decision and I'm sheduled for SNB and UMX next week. I am praying that the several areas of calcification on my breast will all be pure DCIS but there is no way of knowing this (I also have dense breasts) until final pathology. I will keep you all posted.

Edited for those of us with dense breasts. Wishing now I had opted for BMX.

Jun 25, 2011 05:50AM Emaline wrote:

That article sounds about right.  My doctor didn't specifically say because of dense of breast. He did say if you have had breast cancer in one breast, your chances increase.  He stated this is why they recommend Tamoxifen. He said it isn't really for the removed breast, it is for the breast that I still have.

Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jun 25, 2011 02:30PM Kate33 wrote:

There were a lot of factors that went into deciding on MX- Grandma who passed away from BC, DCIS that showed up in the margins after having "pre-cancer" removed through surgery (the pre-cancer showed up on the mammogram and US but the actual cancer didn't?), fear of it coming back, fear of complications with reconstruction if I did radiation and fear of it coming back close to the nipple taking NS off the table.  The biggest factor, though, was my gut just kept telling me to go with BMX.  Afterwards my final pathology report showed multiple areas of DCIS throughout the breast that had never been detected.  Had I chosen lumpectomy I probably would have been right back in for a MX 6 months down the road.  Even if that hadn't happen, and despite some challenges with my recon I will never regret my decision.

Kate33 "Yes, they're fake (@)(@) the real ones tried to kill me." Dx 12/27/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes

Jun 25, 2011 02:46PM mom2one wrote:

I had DCIS with 2 small areas of microinvasion.  I started off with a lumpectomy since I only had cancer on the left side.  Due to unclean margins I had a second lumpectomy.  This also came back with unclear margins so I had to have mastectomy.  I opted to have a bilateral because I did not want to risk having to go through it all again a short time later (an MRI showed a possible problem on the right).  The rt side turned out to be negative, but I do not regret my decision at all.  I elected to do immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders and honestly have not regretted that decision either.  I have gotten used to them and it is not as bad as I thought it would be.  I am really looking forward to my exchange surgery.  Because I had the BMX I do not have to have radiation and after many consultations with several oncologists they all agree that Herceptin/chemo would more likely harm me than help me.  Hopefully I am now on the road to recovery with only the exchange surgery remaining.   Wishing all of you good health, Lynette

Dx 12/30/2010, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jun 25, 2011 04:37PM 2Nan wrote:

HI  Hope you are doing well and that your recovery will be swift.. I am a little over 8 months out from my surgery, had it 10/27/10.  BMX, left breast had DCIS low grade er and pr positive, I elected to have the other breast removed and did not do construction.  I have not regretted my decision.  I did not have to have chemo or radiation and did not take tamoxifen either.  The right breast had benign hyperplasia which makes me wonder if something would have developed there, only reinforced my decision to have both sides done at the same time.. It is such an individual thing for each of us.  Our station in life and circumstances lead us to the path we take.  I hope that each of you who are on this journey will find a happy place and love yourself each day.  I am so grateful for this website, it helped me understand what I didn't know at the time and know now. It also helped me to plan ahead for the surgery.  Hang in there and thanks for starting this thread.

Dx 9/14/2010, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jun 25, 2011 05:56PM HopefulFuture wrote:

Hi ladies, it is so good to read all of your stories, and I greatly appreciated that link about dense breasts AgathaFran! I do have dense breasts, and the pathology report showed that the non-cancerous side had lots of benign fibrocystic issues like PASH. At my age (37), and only having nursed one child and wishing I could nurse the next (whenever that might be now), doing a BMX was the toughest decision of my life. I had a very strong feeling that I would get BC again. I'm the 3rd generation on my mother's side to have gotten it, and I worried too much about recurrence. I also hated the idea of rads and getting lymphoma or another cancer from that down the road. I'm trying to be as strong as I can right now, but it's definitely tough and looking at the foobs for the first time was a shock.

Julianna51, I'm with you that I'm missing my old breasts far more than I thought I would, and I hate the feeling because I know I made the right decision. My first thought after waking up from surgery though, was "what the heck have I done?" I think of myself as emotionally strong, and came out of two biopsy surgeries without a hitch. I didn't realize how difficult the mastectomy recovery would be and I'm guessing that I must be grieving the loss right now. I apparently lost a lot of blood during surgery so I was pretty weak for several days. Plus, it's tough dealing with this and a 3 year-old. :)

2Nan, thanks so much for your encouraging thoughts to all of us. I wish you all the same!

Dx 04/19/11, DCIS, 2cm, ER+/PR+, BRCA-, Strong family history. Opted for bilateral mastectomy. Surgery with TE's completed 6/14/11. Exchange surgery completed 11//7/11. First fat grafting competed on 3/23.

Jun 25, 2011 06:13PM goldlining wrote:

I initially had tiny dots detectable only on the imaging (not by touch) that the biopsy said "had some features of DCIS" but not even DCIS yet, and I was ready to toss them both. The surgeon was emphatic that it was not urgent, and I then said, okay, in 6 months then. I could use some time to relax. When that time came, he wanted to do a lumpectomy first, and found it was 4.4cm grade 3, <1mm margins. They wanted the rads, tamoxifen, and revision and I said stop nibbling at me and skip to the mastectomy. But he still wouldn't do both, so I had just the one (and sure enough there was more DCIS in it, grade 2 and up). The med onc still sees me quarterly but doesn't recommend either tamoxifen or rads now. She referred me for reconstruction and that PS referred me to another superPS and I expect to have the contralateral PMX and DIEP in September(ish). I don't have a lot of female history in the family tree, but I do safety analysis things all day long, and wait-and-see is just not how I roll. I can cope with an inferior situation easier than I can cope with uncertainty.

Surgery 10/14/2010 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 12/12/2010 Mastectomy: Right Surgery 12/14/2011 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Dx DCIS, 4cm, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes

Jun 26, 2011 05:44AM CandDsMom wrote:

Hmm, I didn't have low grade DCIS but I did do the BMX. My breast surgeon thought it was overkill but my GYN thought it was the right thing, and my ONC said she couldn't recommend that I do it but it is what she would have done. My gut was to take them both right from the start though, but it is a very personal decision.

For me, no regrets at all. Yes, life is very much different, even with a good reconstruction, but had I known this would/could happen I would have done PBM in my 20s.

BRCA negative but 5th woman in last 3 generations on paternal side to have BC. And at the time of dx I was 34 with a 2 year old and a 9 month old. DH was also very supportive...

intermediate to high grade multifocal multicentric ER/PR negative DCIS. HER-2+ of unclear significance. s/p BMX

Jun 27, 2011 10:56AM Jen42 wrote:

I struggled with my decision, too. I was given option of lumpectomy with 6 weeks radiation, 5 years on Tamoxifen. For me, though, lumpectomy would mean half my breast gone. And every doctor I saw said if I chose BMX, I would not need any other  treatments cuz we caught the DCIS so early. So after lots of consultations with doctors, research, soul-searching, etc., I decided on BMX with immediate reconstruction. Had surgery on May 27. Still getting used to fact that my original breasts are gone, have to live with my foobs for rest of life. Looks OK in clothes, looks strange naked (especially with no nipples!)  Have moved past the "in pain" stage and now am in "discomfort" stage. Still frustrated with some lack of mobility with arm movements..I am used to just "taking care of things" and for now I need my husband to run errands with me, etc.

I don't regret my decision. I am too much of a worry-wart to have done things differently. What I do regret is that I got a cancer diagnosis at all, especially at the relatively young age at 42. And when I feel like I have treated my body well and took care of it. There is a strong sense of betrayal by my body, do you know what I mean? That's what makes me upset ! I am going to start seeing a therapist to work thru my negative emotions...

BMX on 5/27/11 with immediate, one-step reconstruction (saline implants/Alloderm sling). "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes

Jun 27, 2011 11:57AM HopefulFuture wrote:

GoldLining - I totally get the mentality of not wanting to "wait and see." That was a big deal for me too since I have a 3 year-old and couldn't bear the thought of a recurrence at a later, invasive stage.

CandDsMom - my onc said I had a "choice" and didn't recommend one or the other either, but said I was moving down the right path. When I finally made my decision to do the BMX, she told me, "if it makes you feel any better, that's the decision I would have made too." It did make me feel better. :). I truly feel that I made the decision to maximize my chance of living a long life and being there for my daughter.

Jen42, I feel the same way as you, although the DX was not a complete shock, given my family history. PM me any time if you feel like venting.

Hugs to everyone. So nice to have you all here.

Jun 27, 2011 07:10PM DeeLJ wrote:

This thread has helped me so much. I am struggling with the decision of rads vs BMX and have really wanted the bmx from the get-go. Just making sure I look at all options so that I am sure I am not making a hasty decision about a life-altering matter.

Jen42, I hear ya. We are so similar in diagnosis and the same age too. 

Some of my family see this as very radical tx for something that is so small. I think about it as its only small if its in someone else's breast and not your own!

Thanks everyone for sharing.

DCIS 1.7mm, stage 0, grade 2; ER+/PR+ diagnosed May 2011 at 42 years old. Bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders placed 7/25/11. Exhange for silicone implants on 11/21/11. "My boobs lost the battle but I won the war." Dx 5/30/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Jun 27, 2011 07:42PM mom2one wrote:

DeeLJ:  I was also diagnosed at 42 years old.  I tried the lumpectomy but it didn't work for me.  Once they said I had to do the mastectomy I decided I wanted the bilateral.  I did not want to have to go through this again if I could help it.  The bilateral is all the treatment I have needed.  Good luck to you with your decision.

Jun 27, 2011 08:15PM Kate33 wrote:

Jen42- I felt like my body had betrayed me, too.  Like you I felt like I had treated my body well and this was the thanks I got for it?  I'm the one that got BC, not my sister who smokes like a chimney, never gets off the couch and eats crap all day?  Now I realize it's just some crazy cosmic lottery and I got the winning (losing) ticket.  

Dee- Prior to BC I would read about women choosing MX when they didn't have to.  I remember thinking "Are they crazy?"  I said I would never do that.  But you are totally right- it's only small if someone else has it.  I didn't care if I had one tiny frickin' cell in there I wanted it out!  I think it's almost harder for those of us with DCIS because we are given so many choices and it's up to us to figure out what to pick.   

Kate33 "Yes, they're fake (@)(@) the real ones tried to kill me." Dx 12/27/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes

Jun 27, 2011 08:29PM mbordo wrote:

I'm just over 4 years out from the same decision.  No regrets.  I, too had a "wicked" family history (yet BRCA negative) - which really tipped the scales for me (grandmother, great aunt and aunt - my mother can't believe she hasn't had it!)  my recon went smoothly but it still took awhile to get up to speed.  I started with a lumpectomy, then a re-excision and when 1 margin was still "iffy" - I decided "no more" and opted for bilateral.  I had concerns about radiation + Tamox, so finally deciding on surgery resolved several issues/concerns. I had lots of (est total area 7-8cm) grade 1 & 2 mixed DCIS in a barely B breast.  A lumpectomy would have ended up fairly disfiguring...

It was a crappy 40th b-day gift, but I went w/girlfriends to Vegas 4 weeks after my surgery (they all carried my luggage!) and we lived it up!  You will get past this.  My kids were 10, 8 & 4 at the time.

I went to a support group for awhile which really helped me accept the diagnosis and make peace with my treatment choice.

Best to you!

Jun 28, 2011 07:23AM Jen42 wrote:

I went to my support group last night. But I was only one there ! (ha ha , that sounds like a bad joke...) What I mean is, the lady (Pat) who runs the meeting was there....just her and me. But it was fine because she is the Nurse Navigator of our hospital's breast cancer center and I was able to talk to her one-on-one. Literally like a therapy session.

Why I'm mentioning this on this thread is because I asked Pat how another "newbie" to the group was doing. A month ago, at the meeting just before my BMX, I met a gal named Kathy. She had similar diagnosis to mine but had opted for lumpectomy. Did not get clear margins. Was waiting to be scheduled for a second lumpectomy. Told the group she was doubting her decision to not just go ahead with masectomy in the first place. I left that meeting feeling my decision had just been reinforced, one week before my surgery.  Anyway,  Pat mentioned Kathy last night:  "she said she might try to come, but she wasn't feeling well. She has a breast infection from the THIRD lumpectomy she has been thru since you saw her last." I felt so bad for Kathy when I heard that. To me, it seems like the surgeons are just taking her breast chunk by chunk, delaying the inevitable. She has to deal with extra surgeries, extra worry, and now has a complication from the third surgery ! But, as Pat said, "every woman has to make her own decisions about how she wants to proceed..all we can do is be supportive and listen at they go thru their own unique journey."

BMX on 5/27/11 with immediate, one-step reconstruction (saline implants/Alloderm sling). "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato Dx 4/4/2011, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes

Jun 28, 2011 12:13PM vmudrow wrote:

This is a very interesting discussion - as I chose to have preventative masectomies on both sides for ALH (precancerous) negative for gene.  I didn't want to take Tamoxifen, but mainly didn't want to have the worry at every mammo, biopsy, test etc.  I felt like I was just "waiting" for it to be cancer one day.  My surgeion totally supported me and said she would do the same.  I have been very happy with the whole process!!

valerie, Diagnoised 1/24/2010 with atypical lobular hyperplasia, prophylactic NSM on 5/6/10, strong family history, 40% risk of breast cancer

Jun 29, 2011 02:13AM agada wrote:

Since I had a low grade DCIS with multi foci in one breast I opted for a bilateral mastectomy.  Bilateral due to my high family history of breast cancer.  I was happy with this choice as well.

Dx 12/16/2009, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 2/6 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jul 6, 2011 12:54PM HopefulFuture wrote:

Ladies, it's been great reading all if your stories. I think we each made the decision we felt was best in our situations. I wish you all good health and speedy recoveries from any past or upcoming surgeries. I'm 3.5 weeks post-op and the shock us wearing off. I do believe I made the right decision, as excruciatingly tough as it was to make. Hugs to you all and hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend.

Jul 6, 2011 02:53PM LadyGrey57 wrote:

Ladies, excellent thread.  In October 2009 I was diagonsed with Stage 0, grade 3 DCIS. Went through lumpectomy and 32 rounds of radiation. Now on Tamoxifen.  However, since that time with every mamo - there is always "something" the radiologist "discovers".  In April I went through another biopsy and I really believe that all my docs thought the cancer returned.  But, after waiting three weeks for my biopsy to be read by the folks at John Hopkins (I think), it was determined that there were benign.  It was three weeks of hell...not knowing...waiting...and waiting some more.  I decided that I can not live my life every six months freaked out and worried, so July 18 I am having a bilateral mastecomy. I am completely supported in my decision by my team of doctors.  So, I begin a new journey. 

Jul 6, 2011 03:07PM olearca wrote:

So glad to find this thread and read all of your posts. I had a NSSBMx on 6/2 for DCIS and LCIS after years of biopsies and strong family history (although BRCA neg). Last week, I got the "all clear" from the MO and told I should be celebrating the diagnosis and outcome (ie, no chemo or rads or tamoxifen) but I couldn't even embrace the news for a few days. I kept thinking if this was not real cancer why did I just have my breasts removed. I've come to feel joyful and lucky beyond belief but I still want to scream and shout to everyone " just cause I don't need chemo doesn't mean it didn't count as cancer". I have the scars to prove it. Thanks for allowing me to vent and for understanding. Some days this just plain sucks.

~Catherine: Multi-focal high grade DCIS, LCIS.Micromets 1 node, NSBMx 6/2/11, Lymphedema 8/11, Reconstruction/Exchange 10/27/11

Jul 6, 2011 04:17PM Jen42 wrote:

Hopeful Future:  I found the decision to  be excrutiating, too, even though I knew it was the right one for me. I'm nearly six weeks post surgery and sometimes it hits me again like a ton of bricks: "I had my breasts removed and now I have these implants. Whoa."

LadyGrey:  wishing you luck with your upcoming BMX. This is another tough part...waiting for the surgery date. But you will get thru it and start the healing process (physical and mental).

olearca:  yes, we definitely have the scars to prove it. And the foobs, if we went for reconstruction. Any kind of cancer diagnosis is a game-changer. And it sucks big time.

Jul 6, 2011 05:16PM lewisfamily503 wrote:

Hi Ladies!  I had a bilateral mastectomy in December 2007, so I feel like a veteran lol!! I still check in here at DCIS from time to time to offer support and any help/advice that I can.  I have never regretted my decision to have the bilateral, even though it was preventative on one side. I also opted to go much smaller with my implants than my original breast were (36DD).  I have also been able to lose about 40 pounds since then so now my foobs match my body size (yay!)  I didn't get nipple tattos or anything so that is something I still may do down the road..... The only thing negative I can say about all of this is that I do have muscle contractions that can sometimes REALLY bug me!  If it gets super bad, I take a muscle relaxant but that is pretty rate.  However I do want full disclosure as some women may want to consider this side-effect.  There are also the phantom itches that come and go from time to time.  But for me, these were and are rather minor things and well outweigh the choice to keep my breasts!  Plus, I did not want to do the radiation and tamoxifen route so that was a major consideration for me.  I hope anyone in this situation can benefit from those of us who have gone through this.  Please feel free to PM me anytime!

Anne Dx 10/19/2007, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jul 6, 2011 06:32PM mom2one wrote:

Olearca:  I agree with you.  When you have your breasts removed you have had cancer.  We are fortunate that it was caught early and we didn't have to have chemo, etc. but the surgery wasn't exactly a picnic either.  Still waiting for my exchange surgery.  I have 2 more fills before then. 

Wishing you all good health, Lynette

Jul 6, 2011 06:44PM karen2757 wrote:

I had a double mastectomy for exactly the reasons you stated- no radiation or tamoxifin, and most of all, no worries! I am happy with my decision,but anxious for my scar to heal...

Dx 4/6/2011, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1

Jul 8, 2011 07:35PM paulacarter6 wrote:

I was recently diagnosed with DCIS  - for the third time...the first in 1999 with lumpectomy and no radiation (even though I asked to have it was told not needed) and a second lumpectomy in 2001 followed by 6 weeks of radiation. Now- I have DCIS again- all have been calcification.  I am having a mastectomy on the left side in a week. An MRI showed nothing in the right breast. So- I am thinking of no reconstruction - but wondered if anyone has done that and if so, how it goes? That is - with one breast gone and one still there...Thanks.  

PaulaCarter6 Dx 6/14/2011, DCIS, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, ER+

Jul 9, 2011 04:54AM mom3band1g wrote:

I miss my breasts everyday and wish like hell I had never had my mastectomy.  Fake foobs are no substitute for the real thing.  If I wanted to get rid of all the cancer cells I had no other choice but it's hard to accept such a drastic surgery for something that would never kill me (in it's current state).  I was 39 at diagnosis and surgery and have many mny years left with these fake things.  Please don't forget that a mastectomy does not always mean no rads will be needed.  If I had had a small amount of DCIS, especially low grade, I would not even consider a mast.  I am happy for the women who are happy with their decision but that is not me.  I still miss my small but warm breasts!

lumpectomy 2/10/10 bi-lat mx 3/25/10 rads completed 7/10! Dx 1/19/2010, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Jul 9, 2011 11:59PM HopefulFuture wrote:

Mbordo, thanks for the supportive and encouraging thoughts. Interestingly enough, I just got a support group invite in the mail and will be attending my first one this Wednesday. I'm looking forward to meeting other women who have gone through this.

Olearca, I feel the same as you. Now that I've had the BMX, the cancer is gone but for the first two weeks after my BMX, I couldn't help wondering what the heck I had done. What helped me is that I wrote a list of my reasons for the BMX before doing it. I have read, re-read and even edited those almost every day! It helps me to remind the "committee in my head" why I did this!

Jen42, I know the feeling of how the realization and reality of the decision/surgery can hit like a ton of bricks. I decided to take 6 weeks off work for this surgery and I'm so glad I did from an emotional standpoint. It is rough, and I'm having a hard time imagining going back to work in 2.5 weeks!

Although I had low-grade DCIS, I have a strong family history, many years ahead of me (I'm 37), and a young child to live for. Knowing that I'd be able to avoid chemo, rads and Tamoxifen (in my
unique case), I also knew this was the best option for me since I'm considering having another child. I've heard that conceiving after radiation is not recommended for 2 years, and by then I'd be over 40.

Now that the pathology report showed that I'm cancer free, I don't even know how to classify myself. Am I a survivor, when I only had stage 0? I guess I am, considering the radical and excruciating treatment choice I had to make!

Oh, and Mom3band1g, did your TEs feel warm? I've heard several people say their silicone foobs feel cool, but my TEs feel very warm, almost hot! Just wondering if that warmth goes away with the silicone replacements.

Page 1 of 11 (322 results)