Topic: Has this happened to anyone? Lumpectomy and airport security

Forum: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for DCIS.

Posted on: Nov 14, 2011 08:21PM

Posted on: Nov 14, 2011 08:21PM

ej01 wrote:

I am almost 2 months post lumpectomy and 3 weeks post radiation.  I still have a little bit of a lump where I am healing from surgery, but no pain.  I was travelling today and had to go through the body scanner at the airport...you know the one where you raise your hands over your head and gives you an xray type of effect.  This one just shows the outline of a person and puts a big yellow circle when it sees a suspicious area.   My left breast right in the area of the lumpectomy was hilighted as suspicious and I had to get a patdown of that area.  I told the lady doing patdown that I had recent surgery there, and she said 'no that wouldnt be it'.   Well it was the same area and i certainly did not have a knife stashed in my bra.     How long will this last that my area healing from surgery looks suspicious to the airport scanner?

Dx 7/26/2011, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Page 6 of 6 (54 results)

Nov 30, 2015 10:10PM tb90 wrote:

Given the tragedy that is occurring in this world, I would gladly be exposed to security of all types. I was selected for a scan due to my prosthesis and I quietly told the woman my situation and she was very professional and discreet. If that is all I have to endure to ensure my safety and the lives of my family, I have nothing but gratitude. It is not just about us personally, but about an entire airplane with families, children and grandparents, etc. Demand respect and as much privacy as possible, but also respect their difficult situation in this world that threatens us all.

Dx 11/28/2013, DCIS, Grade 2 Surgery 12/17/2013 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 2/19/2014 Breast

Dec 1, 2015 11:54AM labelle wrote:

I guess I'll find out soon enough. Flying to Minneapolis on Saturday-the first time I've flown since DX. I know they left the titanium marker in my breast, but I used to wear underwire bras and never set off any scanners-ditto for zippers on jeans, so I don't know how a tiny titanium marker in my breast will cause trouble. We shall see.

Dx 9/29/2014, IDC: Tubular, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 11/13/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast

Jan 6, 2016 10:54AM Joanie13 wrote:

I have done security at airport and I have worn mine going through security checkpoint. I dont mention it and if I am required to have a pat down, I mention it at that point. That way they know that I am not hiding anything. I have never had a body scan with the xray machine.

JSeath

Jan 21, 2023 11:46AM - edited Jan 21, 2023 12:08PM by chloe71

I can't believe there are not more posts about this. For the past few years I have been pulled aside on the TSA line and had my breasts and my back patted down because my upper torso set off alarms. This past week when I was traveling from FL I was pulled aside as usual and they had to call over a female TSA who proceeded to put on latex gloves. She showed me the parts of my body that set off the TSA x-ray machine and there were big yellow circles all over each breast. I have a history of biopsies and 2 years ago I had a lumpectomy and then 4 weeks of radiation in the right breast for DCIS cancer. It just occurred to me that the biopsy marker tabs are all still inside my breasts. Yet the titanium plate in my wrist from a fracture didn't even show up! I'm thinking it's probably due to all the radiation that my breasts have absorbed into those biopsy markersbefore and during my treatment. I was sad and embarrassed on the TSA line, but now I'm angry thinking about how many mammograms I've had to find the cancers that were probably induced by mammo radiation to begin with.

Page 6 of 6 (54 results)

Scroll to top button