We are 222,922 members in 82 forums discussing 156,987 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: DCIS Re-excision With a Close Margin

Forum: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for DCIS.

Posted on: Mar 28, 2019 12:10PM

Nicole11 wrote:

Hi everyone. I've been following these discussion boards for a couple of months now. I guess I was hoping to know the full scope of my situation before joining, but that keeps changing. So much of what I read has been very helpful and I like the idea of being a part of a community of people who understand what this "process" is like. A little bit about me- I'm 40 years old, and after having my first routine mammogram in January 2019 and subsequent biopsy, I was diagnosed with DCIS in my right breast (high grade, with comedo necrosis, hormone receptor positive). A follow-up MRI revealed two additional suspicious areas: another in the right breast, and one in the left breast. After MRI guided biopsies, both of those areas thankfully turned out to be benign (PASH). Genetic testing revealed that I have a genetic mutation of the ATM gene (moderate risk). My breast surgeon recommended a lumpectomy followed by radiation and hormone therapy. I had a lumpectomy earlier this month which removed 5.2cm of DCIS. The pathology report came back as pure DCIS but a close margin on one side of 1mm. My case went up before a tumor board and they recommended a re-excision based on my age and grade of DCIS. I had a re-excision lumpectomy earlier this week with the goal of obtaining adequate margins. I just got the call this morning from my surgeon that all margins are clear except for one single duct containing DCIS measuring 1mm in size and within 1mm of the new re-excision margin. I am disappointed and confused. My surgeon is recommending that I go straight to radiation instead of having additional surgery because of the tiny residual amount found that the radiation will likely address, but is bringing my case before the tumor board tomorrow to make sure everyone agrees. Has anyone out there had a similar situation? I certainly don't want to take any changes, but also can't stand the thought of yet another surgery. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Page 2 of 2 (31 results)

Posts 31 (31 total)

May 25, 2019 04:21PM Nicole11 wrote:

Thanks, Julie. It is comforting to know there are other cases similar to yours. I'm glad you're in a top notch facility and you're confident in the advice you're getting. That's totally understandable about your desire for an easier procedure with a good outcome. I wish you the best with your upcoming appointment with the radiation oncologist.

Page 2 of 2 (31 results)