Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What were your symtoms of DCIS

Options
missmom79
missmom79 Member Posts: 90

was just wondering what your ladies symtoms were with DCIS or if you had any st all besides a lump

Comments

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2019
    Options

no symptoms at all and DCIS is usually not palpable. It can be, and when it is, presents a higher risk for recurrence. Still, a low risk dx.

• missmom79
    edited August 2019
    Options

well I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS with central necrosis and have reddening in the aré of concern where they took the biopsy. I also had seen another woman in her had DCIS with a red breast. Normally it doesn’t present symtoms.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited August 2019
    Options

I didn’t have symptoms with DCIS or IDC.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited August 2019
    Options

None.

And no lump. DCIS usually is not a lump. It is seen on the mammogram as fine calcifications, which look like sprinkled sand.

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2019
    Options

I had intermittent pain, similar to the feeling of “let down” of milk like I had when I was breastfeeding. I also had a pain that radiated down the inside of my arm on the cancer side.

My mass was just 6 mm. Both symptoms disappeared after the BMX.

• missmom79
    edited August 2019
    Options

yup. Beesie like sprinkled sugar. My friend wrote a book called holistic breast cancer therapies. She brought it into my husbands work the other day. Looking forward to reading it

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited August 2019
    Options

No symptoms, no lumps for my IDC or DCIS.

• ItsHandled444
    ItsHandled444 Member Posts: 41
    edited August 2019
    Options

No symptoms at all, found on my annual mammogram. Yes, sprinkles of sugar clustered together that were not symetrical and the journey began. IDC found during lumpectomy and no symptoms with that either. Thankful for early detection!

• AC1965
    AC1965 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2019
    Options

No symptoms or lumps - grouped micro calcifications were found during a mammogram.

• Glamazon125
    Glamazon125 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2019
    Options

With my initial DCIS diagnosis, my symptoms started with my nipple leaking a clear, orange coloured fluid. I was not that far out from weaning my daughter, so we didn't actually check it out until I discovered a very palpable lump about 4 months later (5.5+cm).

Both my recurrences also had palpable lumps as well (but no nipple means no discharge). I had a skin sparing mastectomy )and TRAM reconstruction) with my first diagnosis. First recurrence I did a lumpectomy with radiation, and then on my second recurrence I ended having a modified mastectomy when they basically took all the previously "spared skin".

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2019
    Options

No symptoms and no lump

• countdooku
    countdooku Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2019
    Options

Looking back, I think that I had a couple of symptoms in that breast that perhaps might have been a sign:

• this sounds weird, but kind of inside the breast, behind the nipple, it felt itchy. Sort of how it felt when I was nursing my younger child & kiddo & I kept passing thrush back and forth to each other.
    • in the upper outer part of my breast towards my armpit about 5-6 months before I was diagnosed, it was sore. Felt like I had pulled a muscle or something. I blew it off thinking that maybe I had done something wrong while doing yardwork.
    Other than that, didn't feel any lumps or anything like that.
  • HappySpring13
    HappySpring13 Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2019
    Options

I would get a stabbing burning pain in my right breast when I would turn onto my stomach when sleeping. Didn't happen all the time. Just thought I moved the wrong way and pulled something. Went on for about 6 months maybe. I don't remember.

Then in Aug I was due for a mammogram. Mammogram came back fine.

End of Oct I was just feeling around and found a lump on the upper part of my right breast where I would get the pain. It wasn't there before as I always checked myself.

Biopsy = DCIS = DMX. Wasn't taking any chances.

• Maryliz99
    Maryliz99 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2019
    Options

Just diagnosed with "Hi grade ductal carcinoma in situ solid mass encapsulated with micro calcification". following lumpectomy and five weeks of radiation 12 years ago. Symptoms now: right breast inflamed (very pink), very warm to the touch (like the breast had a fever), dimpled (like orange peel), thickened skin (feels like a dried out piece of leather), and itching. No lumps felt. Scheduled for surgical consult next week. Meantime, I have lots of questions. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes: From symptoms, my research shows this could be inflammatory breast cancer (IBC). Are hi grade ductal carcinoma and IBC one and the same? Is "hi grade" the same as "stage 3"?

• missmom79
    edited September 2019
    Options

Mary

This is the reason I asked this question on this forum because I too was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in Situ high grade solid with necrosis. It was scattered like sprinkled sugar. The reason I went for the mammogram in the first place was redness and hair like follicles (like orange peel) no pain or any other symtoms. Just those two. The day I went for my mammogram the Radiologist told me flat out (before) biopsy that I had inflammatory breast cancer. I was not really shocked because when I googled my symptoms that is what popped up! So on August 15th I get my biopsy back and it’s dcis with necrosis. Ok so I thought that is good news I guess. But they wanted a second look because on my mammogram imaging it showed diffuse thickening on that effected right breast. I went to get another biopsy of that reddened area and they found more DCIS but in my armpit they found a mynute focus on ductal carcinoma. So therefore that led the surgeon that I seen also to belive i had inflammatory breast cancer and it was already in my lymph node after only 3 weeks upon noticing the redness and orange peel skin. And inflammatory is aggressive and that why it spread so fast to my lyphm node. However I still questioned the diagnosis and still kind of am. Where are you getting treated and what did they say are your options

• missmom79
    edited September 2019
    Options

no high grade 3 is not the stage it’s how different the cells look under the microscope from your normal breast cells. Grade 1 being more closely resembles your good breast cells and grade 2 looking less normal than your breast cells even more. Grade 3 is highly differientated from your normal breast cells and is more aggressive. Your stage is whether or not it has spread to your lymph nodes or not. If you had cancer 12 years ago it could be possible that you have a secondary cancer and have IBC. Get it checked out as IBC is aggressive as I’m sure you have read.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited September 2019
    Options

Actually missmom - that's not what the stage is either. I'll try to find a good definition, but it involves 3 or 4 metrics for each stage. Spread to a lymph node could be classified as a 'local recurrence' & classified as Stage 2 or 3 depending on other characteristics. Stage 4 is mets.

Originally I had no symptoms & no lumps. Other than the fact that I had very dense breasts and had a call back for every mammo for 37 years before DCIS was diagnosed. I had a bilateral mastectomy & they found lobular characteristics as well as lots of DCIS places but got clear margins.

And Mary - two years later I had a "local" recurrence to a lymph node that was then classified as Stage 3, partly because it was now IDC and HER2+. Don't go by your research. Do go see a doctor.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited September 2019
    Options

Here's one link to the staging puzzle. There are lots of good links if you google breast cancer staging.

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/st...

• missmom79
    edited September 2019
    Options

thanx I am stage lllb, grade 3 and her2+

• missmom79
    edited September 2019
    Options

oh and lots of DCIS 60mm and they found 2.5cm idc

• Maryliz99
    edited September 2019
    Options

I have done tons of research over the last two days since learning of my Grade III (High Grade) DCIS. First, the symptoms that caused me to make an appointment with my regular doctor, an internist: Swelling, redness, warm (like a fever on the breast), intense itching, very small dimples - like the skin of an orange, thickening of the skin, skin flaking (but mostly after I had scratched the heck out of it!). Over a three month period, from my initial observation on 5 July to 27 Sep - when I received diagnosis, I had the following appointments in this order.

(1) Internist (Regular family doctor): he manually examined both breasts by palpitating. Referred for diagnostic mammo. (2) Diagnostic mamo: showed nothing; followed by ultrasound: showed nothing. (3) Referred to dermatologist (!) He took one look and said this was not a dermatology issue...referred me for 1st MRI. (4) Referred for MRI. MRI: showed the following:

2.3 cm linear branching nonmass enhancement in the right breast 11 o'clock position for which targeted ultrasound is recommended. If targeted ultrasound is negative, MRI guided biopsy should be considered. Diffuse right breast skin enhancement and thickening consistent with clinical history. No suspicious enhancement noted in left breast. Adequate bilateral contrast minimal background enhancement. Diffuse right breast skin enhancement and thickening consistent with clinical history. There is 0.7 x 2.3 cm linear branching nonmass enhancement in right breast 11 o'clock position, middle depth (image 52).

(5) Referred to breast surgeon. Conducted two punch biopsies on right breast. Lab work on those tissue samples came back negative. In other words -- they showed no cancer. No suspicious enhancement in left breast. Both axillary regions are unremarkable.

(6) Back to breast surgeon; referred for Targeted MRI Biopsy:

(7) 2nd MRI with targeted Biopsy: Comparison made to exams dated: 9/19/2019 MRI biopsy and 7/10/2019 mammogram. TECHNIQUE: Mammographic views obtained using digital acquisition. Current study also evaluated with a Computer Aided Detection (CAD) system. Current study contains 2 films. BREAST COMPOSITION CATEGORY: Scattered areas of fibroglandular density in right breast. FINDINGS: Scattered benign appearing calcifications present in right breast. Evidence of post surgical and radiation changes associated with right breast. There is a marker clip in the appropriate position in right breast at 11 o'clock middle depth. Marker clip placement is at biopsy site. The clip marks the biopsy target (mass).

BIOPSY RESULTS: Hi grade ductal carcinoma in situ solid mass encapsulated with micron calcification (DCIS) = non invasive breast cancer; stage 0 breast cancer.

(8) Consult with breast cancer surgeon...

Grade III (high-grade) DCIS

In the high-grade pattern, DCIS cells tend to grow more quickly and look much different from normal, healthy breast cells. People with high-grade DCIS have a higher risk of invasive cancer, either when the DCIS is diagnosed or at some point in the future. They also have an increased risk of the cancer coming back earlier — within the first 5 years rather than after 5 years. High-grade DCIS is sometimes described as "comedo" or "comedo necrosis." Comedo refers to areas of dead (necrotic) cancer cells, which build up inside the tumor. When cancer cells grow quickly, some cells don't get enough nourishment. These starved cells can die off, leaving areas of necrosis.

My conclusion based on the research I've done so far: High Grade DCIS is not invasive, but if left untreated, can lead to a higher risk of invasive cancer. At this point, id the DCIS cells have not broken through the ducts, this cancer is not (yet) invasive. So, I'm hoping that's the good news. I have a pre-surgical appointment with the breast surgeon on 8 Oct '19, and will probably also have a coordinated consult with an oncologist. At this point, with history of prior cancer in same breast, treated with lumpectomy and five weeks of radiation, I don't yet know what the options will be, however, I am assuming, because of prior cancer and radiation, the recommendation will be for full mastectomy of right breast. Regarding chemo...I don't know yet.

Missmom: I am a bit shocked that your radiologist told you that you had IBC before you had any biopsies. It is my understanding that there is a specific step by step protocol to follow when attempting to diagnose and that the mammo does not show the type of cancer. That's why I have listed each medical visit above (numbers (1) through (5)) - for your reference. and also that's why I've provided so much detail here, I hope it helps you.

Minus Two: Whew! you've been through a lot! I hope you are doing well now. I am amazed that you had a callback after every mammo for 37 years. Didn't they call for additional testing? Thank you so much for your advice not to rely solely on research. ....as you can see from above, I've now had seven trips to get all this done with #8 coming up. Meantime, I continue to research so that I know what questions to ask.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 551
    edited October 2019
    Options

I had been having the "milk letdown" feeling for several months but didn't know why as I had not nursed in 2 years. The side where the DCIS was found was also the low-flow side where I got a clogged duct when I was breastfeeding. Otherwise, no symptoms.

• missmom79
    edited October 2019
    Options

Mary I was a bit shocked too that the radiologist told me that without biopsy. But my mammogram had diffuse thickening and I had came in with a little pinkness on my right breast is what prompted me to go. My first mammogram ever at 39. If I’m right didn’t you mention thickened on mammogram? Yes I had all the same symtoms and still do until I start treatment on October 9th. The thing is the redness and the orange peel are still there and had not gotten worse since July 25th when I noticed them. Then when I met with the oncologist he told me that the symtoms for IBC could wax and wane. I’m just like they haven’t even waxed and waned. My breast is the same and has had not got worse. At all. Pet scan was clear. Other than it showed like one dominant node and two borderline ones in pet and also the thickness on pet. I’m still wondering if they diagnosed me correctly. I had DCIS on the first biopsy and they took 10 core samples. All high grade solid DCIS grade3. There was 60mm of DCIS that I know of. That’s a lot of it scattered but the surgeon told me that DCIS would not cause pinkness like that or thickness on the mammogram. But what if it does cause symptoms? I dunno but from what I read about IBC it gets worse over months and it’s been almost three months with no getting worse. The surgeon was adimant that he find something more invasive because that’s what they needed to diagnose the IBC. So on the second biopsy they found more DCIS in the breast and a “mynute” small amount of ductal carcinoma in the lymph node. So that is what made him believe I have IBC cuz of the lymph node.

edited October 2019
    Options

Missmom,

I don't know if you were diagnosed correctly with IBC, but I do know that you do not have a diagnosis of DCIS. Your pathology includes a lot of DCIS, but it also includes some invasive cancer, and you have a positive node. This is an invasive cancer diagnosis.

A diagnosis of DCIS refers to a diagnosis that is pure DCIS, with no invasive cancer present. DCIS cells are fully confined to the milk ducts. This is Stage 0 breast cancer.

Most (about 85%, I think) invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) diagnoses also include some DCIS, either a little, or a lot (yours has a lot). This makes sense, since IDC usually develops from DCIS. First the DCIS develops, and then some of those DCIS cells continue to evolve and become IDC. These IDC cells break through the duct walls and move into the open breast tissue, and from there, could possibly move into the lymphatic system or the bloodstream or the skin. The final pathology therefore finds some of the original DCIS that had not progressed further and remained in the ducts as DCIS, along with the IDC that had developed from other parts of the DCIS and evolved to become invasive cancer. This defines Stages I through IV. And IBC is included in here.

So, to your comment/question, "That's a lot of it scattered but the surgeon told me that DCIS would not cause pinkness like that or thickness on the mammogram. But what if it does cause symptoms?" No, it doesn't.

DCIS and IBC are at opposite ends of the breast cancer spectrum. There may be confusion in your diagnosis as to whether or not you have IBC, but there is no confusion that you have IDC. Therefore there is no possibility that your diagnosis is DCIS Stage 0 and that those symptoms of pinkness and thickening were caused by the DCIS.

Since this thread is in the DCIS forum and is talking about DCIS and IBC, I think this clarification is important. We don't want women with DCIS who are reading here to be worried that their DCIS might be connected to IBC.

• missmom79
    edited October 2019
    Options

beesie i was just responding to Mary99 as she said she presented with redness and all that with DCIS.

edited October 2019
    Options

Missmom, understood. Smile

Knowing that lots of people read this forum who don't register or sign-in or post, I just wanted to ensure that we weren't confusing or scaring people, since the discussion has moved onto topics that are not aboutStage 0 DCIS.

• missmom79
    edited October 2019
    Options

oh definitely not! I see wgat you’re saying I was just bewildered by her symptoms so maybe something else is going on with mary99. But as in no way are those symptoms of DCIS. It just confused me.

edited October 2019
    Options

Missmom, I agree. Just as in your case, it appears that there might be something else going on with Mary99 besides the presence of some DCIS.

• missmom79
    edited October 2019
    Options

yup agreed

• Maryliz99
    edited October 2019
    Options

I am so totally confused. If diagnosis is Grade III DCIS solid mass encapsulated with micron calcification, and it is, then why was I having IDC symptoms -- the dimpling, itchy, swollen, pink, hot (breast) and thickened skin - but no lump; symptoms that prompted me to see doctor in first place. Here is the write-up:

Correlation is made to exam dated: 7/10/2019 mammogram - Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Temple.
    An MRI biopsy was performed for the 2.3 cm lesion located in the right breast at 11 o'clock middle depth. This was described on the previous MRI report. The skin was prepped in the usual manner. 1% lidocaine was used for local anesthesia. A small incision was made in the breast. The abnormality was approached from the lateral aspect. A 9 gauge biopsy needle was placed adjacent to the abnormality under MRI guidance. Additional MRI images were obtained to document needle placement. Once the needle was documented to be in the correct location, six specimens were obtained using the Suros ATEC system. A titanium clip was inserted into the biopsy cavity. A skin closure strip and a sterile dressing were applied to the access site. Post procedure digital mammographic imaging demonstrates the clip at the targeted area. The specimens were sent to the laboratory for pathological analysis. The labeling was confirmed with the patient, the nurse and the MD.

IMPRESSION: MRI BIOPSY MALIGNANT

MRI biopsy of the 2.3 cm lesion in the right breast at 11 o'clock middle depth was successful with no apparent post procedure complications. Pathology indicates malignant ductal carcinoma in situ. Pathology results are concordant with imaging findings. A surgical consult is recommended. Surgical consult has been arranged for the patient.

In my earlier post, I was trying as best I could, to respond to Missmom, as she had asked us what our symptoms were. Surgical consult is 8 Oct and I'm sure I'll learn more then. My confusion stems from results of MRI targeted biopsy showing the DCIS; yet symptoms of dimpling, etc. are what lead me to see doctor in the first place and no IDC was found. If DCIS and IBC are at opposite ends of the spectrum, then why do I have the dimpling, etc. symptoms in the first place?