Join Us

We are 218,168 members in 84 forums discussing 160,926 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Different types of fatigue and cell division DCIS

Forum: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for DCIS.

Posted on: Jul 24, 2020 10:50AM - edited Jul 24, 2020 10:52AM by KARW41

KARW41 wrote:

I apologize in advance if this is a very basic question but am curious about people's experience in light of what I'm going through.

I had extensive DCIS, a lumpectomy in April and now a bilateral mastectomy in July.

This seems weird to me but I can notice different types and gradations of fatigue.

Before any surgery, I had a sort of “dragging me down," kind of fatigue, that had been with me for the last year or a bit more, when I first had pain in the right breast that had the extensive DCIS.

Question- does anyone know if the internal cell division of intra-duct cancer cells in growth of DCIS takes away from the energy that normal cells use and also from our overall energy level????

A reason I ask is- I now have a different feeling of post-surgery fatigue, that doesn't constantly drag me down anymore, but instead, that old “dragging," chronic fatigue is gone and now I have more intermittent and “end of day" fatigue.

I am leaving my job, just doing grad school full time as an older adult, until I find a job that doesn't also require night work as well as day work.

I'm on leave without pay.

I'm trying to rest etc but not doing a good job of resting but I am curious about this because the earlier “dragging constantly" fatigue is gone.

I don't know if it could have been stress but I'm facing more stress now than before, so I don't think that's it.....

What it weirdly feels like is that the accelerated DCIS cellular division caused some type of dragging chronic fatigue.

I had higher grade comedo necrosis DCIS so I don’t know if that mattered.

I had unusual and sharp pain in that breast off and on for more than a year (even got a second opinion but they said it was likely nothing wrong- they were clearly mistaken).

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Jul 24, 2020 12:17PM MinusTwo wrote:

Karw41 - Have you had regular blood tests? Some of those number might be a clue. Maybe thyroid? Maybe your diet needs adjustment to get more energy? Or vitamins?

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 24, 2020 12:29PM KARW41 wrote:

Hello, thank you. The blood work was all normal. I take a lot of supplements. No vitamin deficiencies detected in blood work. I am going to try Googling this to see but so far, I don’t immediately see anything on it.

Jul 24, 2020 01:14PM DATNY wrote:

Did you ever noticed that your bilurubin level.is sligthly above limit?

Jul 24, 2020 01:28PM KARW41 wrote:

Well, actually, at one point, yes, but I do not think I have it anymore. Last blood work was normal. Do you know what that means?

Jul 24, 2020 02:00PM MountainMia wrote:

Before I was diagnosed in Feb 2020, I was very tired for at least several weeks. It was more than just winter blahs. I was just really tired. And yes, it was completely different from the tiredness after surgery or the fatigue after chemo or radiation.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Jul 24, 2020 02:13PM KARW41 wrote:

Thank you, MountainMia, that sounds similar to what I felt. It was just a different, dragging fatigue to me. That fatigue is now gone. I am just theorizing it could have been that the cells were rapidly dividing in there, stealing my strength and energy. I'm 50 years old, but hiked and ran etc. but I could tell something was wearing on me. I am hoping the post-surgery fatigue clears up eventually. Thank you for answering. It helps to validate the hunch that I have.

Aug 9, 2020 11:32AM DATNY wrote:

If only bilirubin is slightly higher from time to time, while all other liver enzymes are perfectly normal you may have Gilbert syndrome. There is a genetic test that can be done to prove it. Many people with Gilbert don't even know thyy have it because it does not give them terrible symptoms. For other is a debilitating condition, it gives fatigue, brain fog, and abdominal symptoms such as bloating.

Aug 10, 2020 05:21AM Rah2464 wrote:

KARW41 I had intense fatigue for 6 months prior to diagnosis and it was indeed for me different than any other fatigue I had felt. It was one of the reasons I was so persistent to pursue getting diagnosed. That along with some "heaviness" in my left breast. Luckily I had a BS who listed and ran that MRI. I was originally diagnosed with DCIS but upon surgery I upgraded to IDC.

I do experience different types of fatigue now, some medicine related, some old age stuff.

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/26/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/26/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 10, 2020 09:08AM KARW41 wrote:

DATNY: I asked a doctor about this before, with the bilirubin, I think. I will try asking again if it shows up elevated again. Thank you.

RAH2464: Thank you and I am sorry you had that intense fatigue. That sounds a lot like what happened to me. I had actual burning pain in the right breast that had extensive but non-invasive cancer (9 cm+ worth). I think this goes to show that listening to what our bodies are telling us is wise.

I got two opinions in 2018 and they did NOT believe anything was wrong but then in 2019, it showed up on mammography.

After my bilateral mastectomy, I wrote an email to the breast surgeon who had said in 2018 further screening at that time was not needed.

I let her know that the burning pain was actually something, in case that helps any other woman she sees.

I have different fatigue now, from surgery but am taking vitamins and supplements as I remember to, and that seems to help a bit.

I hope your fatigue eases up over time. I am reading your summary and that is a lot of surgery. I am not sure how you do all of that. I could barely tolerate the bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction.

My Mom went through reconstruction, a couple of times.

I just did not have it in me to handle it. Sending positive karma to you on the fatigue.

Aug 11, 2020 04:50AM Rah2464 wrote:

Karw41 - thank you for your lovely karma ! Sending some positives right back to you and blessings. I am so glad you also listened to what was happening in your body and pushed to be diagnosed. I am very impressed that you took the time to send a letter to your breast surgeon in order to educate. You will probably never know how many people will be impacted by that effort.

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/26/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/26/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 11, 2020 07:21AM - edited Aug 11, 2020 07:26AM by everythingwillbefine

karw41,

I am 48 and just had mastectomy to remove left breast which found extensive DCIS 8cm. Last year ultrasound d was still fine this year MRI shows extensive MRI

I had sharp pain occassionaly in my left breast and itchy around my nipple a year or two before the diagnosis. I googled and found some article said pain was not related to cancer so I dismissed it now I know I should not.

One thing I did notice is my white blood cell number dropped to below normal a year before my diagnosis. Mine was 2.8 and normal is above 3. Mine used to be around 6 prior years so my pcp has me re check a month later and it did went back up but only stayed around a little over 3. And it was the same right before the diagnosis. I had consulted hematologist and my pcp as that time I was diagnosed ALH so I was concerned that was related but both told me I am fine this is no relation to cancer but now after DCIS diagnosis I am wondering

I also did not have good relationship with my husband and think that might contribute the disease.

I now try to improve the relationship and also plan to start exercise routine after I recover

Dx 7/7/2020, LCIS, Right Dx 7/14/2020, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/31/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 7/31/2020 Mastectomy: Left Dx 8/6/2020, LCIS, Right Dx 8/6/2020, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)