We are 161,502 members in 81 forums discussing 127,278 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After → Topic: Fever during chemo--help!

Topic: Fever during chemo--help!

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Apr 2, 2008 08:23AM, edited Apr 2, 2008 08:25AM by formygirls

formygirls wrote:

I have had two ac sessions so far. The first one I did not get the Neulasta shot since the onc said I was young(36) and would probably not need it. By day 14, I was running a fever over 100.5 and when I went in to do blood work, my neutraphil count was only 0.5.

They gave me antibiotics and by day 21, my blood work was back to normal. I was supposed to do dose dense but had to wait an extra week for the blood work to come back. Last Tuesday, I had my second dose and did get the shot on Wednesday. But I am running a fever again (around 100). Yesterday was day 7. My onc nurse said that this is probably just how my body reacts to chemo. Does anyone else have this problem?

I am so tired of this and I know I am at the beginning--I have not even had surgery yet. I have no energy to work or do anything. Thankfully, my parents have moved in for six months and take care of my two little girls and me.

Initially diagnosed with triple neg stage 3 bc in Feb 2008. Mets dx in Feb 2012 with change in receptors .Mets to liver, brain, bone, lung and nodes and central nervous system. Dx 2/3/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 2/29 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Apr 2, 2008 09:18AM TenderIsOurMight wrote:

Dear Formygirls,

A fever during chemotherapy always must be taken very seriously. I must differ with the thinking this is how your body responds during therapy, as this may result in a dangerous situation for you.

The most common reason for fever is the compromise of our immune system from the chemotherapy and as you've already had, a precipitous and dangerous drop in our white counts. This allows bacteria and virus which may be present to get a foot up so to speak, and create havic.

I encourage you to insist on being seen today for your temperature. A white count should be done, and cultures of urine, throat, and maybe blood obtained and run. Once again, your doctor must consider additional Nuelasta, and advise you on isolation if your white count is low.

Please call back to your doctor, and rally his or her direct help. Fever is never normal during chemotherapy.

All the best to you,
Tender

It cannot be emphasized too strongly that treatment of each patient is a highly individualized matter. (FDA-approved labeling for warfarin (Coumadin) NDA 9-218/5-105)

Apr 2, 2008 11:02AM , edited Apr 2, 2008 11:03AM by LorenaB

I was told to call if I had a fever above 100.5.  But considering how badly you are feeling on Day 8, I agree that you should call and ask to be seen.  I know that everyone's body reacts differently, but I don't think it has to be so hard.  I'm back at work today (day 7 after my first A/C treatment) and finally feeling almost like myself (not quite, but almost).

Good luck to you, and I hope you start feeling better soon!  I'm also on the young side (41), single mom to a 7-year-old child, and I can sympathize with how hard it is to switch from being the caregiver to the one who needs help.

Dx 12/20/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 2, 2008 11:13AM formygirls wrote:

Thanks ladies. This morning my fever is down to 99 and my onc nurse said to only come in if it was above 100.5

I might call in and say it is higher just so I can get blood work done. I want to know why I feel this way when I got the shot and am supposedly young and healthy. Of course I was up all night because of the fever/thinking about possible mets and found a paper online  that paitients who get fever during chemo have lower survival rates:) I really need to back off researching cancer as there is too much bad news out there. As it is I am addicted to this board. I should stick with you ladies.

Initially diagnosed with triple neg stage 3 bc in Feb 2008. Mets dx in Feb 2012 with change in receptors .Mets to liver, brain, bone, lung and nodes and central nervous system. Dx 2/3/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 2/29 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+