We are 157,782 members in 80 forums discussing 124,842 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After → Topic: neuropathy and alpha lipoic acid

Topic: neuropathy and alpha lipoic acid

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Apr 13, 2009 04:03PM

apple wrote:

Has anyone taken alpha lipoic acid for neuropathy.

i am currently taking glutamine and B6 and it seems to be working (who knows) but have read with interest studies showing the alpha lipoic acid (an otc supplement) is prescribed for neuropathy.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/alphalipoicacid/a/alphalipoicacid.htm

http://www.ralapure.com/neuropathy.asp?page=2

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Apr 13, 2009 04:07PM kmmd wrote:

Apple: thank you so much for finding and posting this.  I had just asked on the Jan thread for help from anyone because I had read about B6 and glutamine but was looking for other things as this get worse

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrpJD2... Keep breathing is my new motto. Kate

Apr 13, 2009 04:31PM , edited Apr 13, 2009 04:33PM by apple

let's just hope it doesn't get worse.  i find that after chemo, on days 1 - 5, the glutamine obviously helps in the 5 hours after i take it.. i actually feel the need to take that next dose.  Particulary in the mornings that i do not take it, i awake and my hands are swollen and feel fat, inflexible and the fingertips ache.  i haven't had problems with toes yet but i wear big shoes and extra thick socks which reduces pressure.   After the taxol wears off near the end of my treatment cycle the neuropathy feelings for me are not that bad, and i hardly take the glutamine at all.

it's just so darn expensive.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Apr 13, 2009 05:25PM BerkeleyKim wrote:

Apple: Yes, my onc recommends 600 mg/day of the Alpha Lipoic Acid and L glutamine 10 mg 3/day. I'm taking some B6 but he said the research on that working isn't as strong. I've done 7 of 12 taxols, and notice some tingling especially the day or 2 after tx, but not so bad. Got my first bottles of l glutamine at gnc when the had the buy one-get one free. It is pricey.

Good luck!  kim

Dx 9/18/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 13, 2009 05:32PM SoCalLisa wrote:

I did take it...but didn't do much good for me....Lyrica is what is working

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

May 1, 2009 02:18PM MoinTexas wrote:

Hi - late to this thread, but maybe this will help.  I saw a new study starting last summer at MD Anderson about this, specifically for cisplatin.  But I was just getting ready to start taxotere and I had heard it was really bad for neuropathy.  I followed the same plan as the Anderson  one - take 600 mg alpha lipoic acid every day starting the 4th day after the infusion, and continuing until 2 days before the next one.  Sometimes it was hard to get it down, depending on how I felt!  I also did what my onc laughed at me for -I  used small ice packs, like you use for a lunch bag, for each hand and under my toes during the taxotere part of the IV infusion.  Don't know which worked, but I had NO neuropathy at all, anywhere.   A friend of mine who also had taxotere had neuropathy so badly she didn't realize she had touched a red-hot fireplace grate, so I know it happens.   I have just started retaking it, 600 mg a day, and it seems to be helping with the muscle and joint pain from Femara as well as the nerve pain from the axillary dissection.  Hope this helps someone.

Marilyn

Dx 3/4/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 8/35 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-