We are 161,542 members in 81 forums discussing 127,311 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After → Topic: Refusing Arimidex

Topic: Refusing Arimidex

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Aug 22, 2009 04:54PM, edited Aug 22, 2009 04:54PM by nancypat

nancypat wrote:

Hi ladies,

My onc stopped my T/C after the second round.  Within five days I was in the hospital with pneumonia, anemia and edema.  I had to have 16 transfusions and  an open decortication of my right lung and was in the hospital for the whole month of June.  I am still healing because my ribs had to be broken to get to my lung, and I have a lot of scar tissue that has formed causing my lung to adhere to my pleura and every time I move, I tear it lose.  Was that a run on sentence? lol. 

When I asked my onc about the Arimidex about a month ago, he said.  " We'll see.  Lets get you over this first."  After doing some research, I have decided I am not going to take it.  I can't risk the chance of bad se's again and I would rather have quality of life rather than quantity.  I also have a lot of other medical conditions and day to day living is hard enough.  I guess I sound as though I'm giving up but I'm not.  I am just making a decision about the next step in this bc treadmill.  Supposedly, I am cancer free.  That is good enough right now.  Just wanted to admit this because I know some of you will have thoughts you can share.  I see my onc on the 27th.

Thanks for listening.  Good thoughts to everyone.

Nancy

The good times don't last forever so neither will the bad. Lumpectomy with SNB. Right mastectomy with no recon. Open decortication for Parapneumonic Effusion due to pneumonia, from 2nd round of chemo. Dx 3/2/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+