We are 161,362 members in 81 forums discussing 127,198 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After → Topic: HAIR AFTER CHEMO

Topic: HAIR AFTER CHEMO

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: May 9, 2010 07:45AM

Deborah51 wrote:

Hi

Can anyone out there advise what the best shampoo is to use for hair coming back after chemo. I was diagnosed in June 2009 and had 4 months of chemotherapy followed by one month of radiation. All my hair came out after chemo and is slowing growing back although not very fast. I just need some advice on what shampoo to use as it is all new growth and are there any supplements that will speed up the growth. I try and go out now without my wig but there are days when my confidence dips so on goes the wig!

Debs

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

May 9, 2010 07:53AM pupfoster1 wrote:

I'm just starting to get mine back now after finishing chemo in March.  Peach fuzz is what I call it!  If you get any good tips, I'll be checking for them too!  I wear a bandana a lot and try to keep it off around the house during the day when my kids aren't home and at night, hopefully that may help it come out a bit.

Take care,

Sharon :)

Sharon Dx 9/17/2009, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 13/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 13, 2010 09:19AM Deborah51 wrote:

Thanks Sharon

I will pass on any tips I get about hair and what the best shampoo is to use. Just heard today I have another mammogram in July (scared or what) it's been a year since I was diagnosed am sure it will be ok.

Debs

May 13, 2010 09:42AM cbm wrote:

Hi; congratulations on completing treatment, both of you.  I used a mild shampoo called Free and Clear because I have allergies and needed something mild.  I have heard that Nioxin products, which you can find online or at specialty stores that sell wigs and prostheses, are good for post chemo regrowth and scalp nourishment.  Though I did not use them, I know women who were pleased.

My own hair started slow and then came on strong, so be patient.  You know by now I;m sure, that if you were curly you may be straight and if you were straight, you might have to get used to curls.  It took a year for my new curls to start to straighten.

Eyelashes take longer; much longer.

Warmest,

Cathy 

May 13, 2010 11:15AM , edited Aug 1, 2010 02:08PM by lovemygarden

This Post was deleted by lovemygarden.

May 13, 2010 01:55PM LJ13-2 wrote:

I used the Aveeno foaming face wash while I was mostly scalp and a little fuzz. When there was 1/2 inch of hair, I switched to Burts Bees baby shampoo. It IS baby hair. It's soft and fragile. I liked the BB baby shampoo so much I've just kept using it. Good stuff.

May 13, 2010 02:14PM , edited Aug 1, 2010 02:08PM by lovemygarden

This Post was deleted by lovemygarden.

May 13, 2010 02:20PM negirly wrote:

I used both Nioxin and Mane and Tail.  I'm not sure if it made a difference - hair regrowth is slow.  I also took Biotin (B7) which many stylists recommend. I think anything that is gentle would be good.  I'm also an Aveno fan - all of their products are great and affordable.

Karyn

May 13, 2010 02:25PM o2bhealthy wrote:

I use Nioxin for the first six months after chemo...not sure how well it worked but did have growth.  Started Biotin two months ago and the growth really took off (posted pic's under the Hair, Hair, Hair thread) and now use whatever shampoo we bought on sale last week :)   Good Luck!!!  

Michelle ~ DCIS and IDC - Thyroid Cancer dx 10-27-10, partial thyroidectomy 11-23-10 Dx 5/15/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 6/23/2009 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 7/19/2009 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/19/2009 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/11/2009 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2009

May 13, 2010 02:25PM ruthbru wrote:

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner worked really well for me (for anyone still doing chemo, use the 'for chemically treated hair'  bottle during chemo even when you don't have hair (because your hair is being chemically treated from the inside out Frown!)
"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, , Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 18, 2010 10:55AM Deborah51 wrote:

Hi Bonnie and everyone else who replied about my hair problem.  It is so nice to get so much feedback from this site and I think I will try the Burt's Bee shampoo am so frightened of what I am putting on my hair now - it is definitely growing back curly it had a kink in it before now but this is something totally different (me thinks I may have to buy hair straightners eventually !!)

It is the one reminder that I have had cancer which I am sure most of you can relate to but hey girls we are still here and our hair will grow back eventually (I just thought it would be quicker than this) chemo finished end of December 2009.

Debs

Debs

May 18, 2010 02:38PM LJ13-2 wrote:

I guess sometimes it stays curly/wavy, but mine has straightened out completely after about 2 years. It was a good year of some serious wave action though.  Laughing

May 18, 2010 02:48PM Sugar77 wrote:

I finished chemo on Feb. 8th and I'm using Biolage hydrotherapy shampoo and ultra hydrating balm. I was using Nioxin 2 after chemo for about a month and liked it but my hair dresser wanted me to stop using it. I had used Biolage before so I just switched back to what I had used in the past before all this BC ordeal started! 

Good luck!

Sherri 

TC x 4, started 12/07/09, finished 02/08/10 Dx 10/27/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-