We are 155,725 members in 80 forums discussing 123,338 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After → Topic: Anyone have an open mastectomy wound while taking chemo

Topic: Anyone have an open mastectomy wound while taking chemo

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Nov 7, 2010 10:30PM

nurseronda10 wrote:

I got an infection 16 days postop mastectomy and had to be opened up and had a wound vac on for 3 weeks.  5 days after wound vac was removed, I started chemotherapy (Carboplatin, Taxotere, and Herceptin).  It has been 11 days since my first chemo and wound is not looking so hot.  I can't tell it has healed at all since wound vac was removed.  It is approx. 1 inch wide at widest part and 3 1/2 inches in length.  I have looked all over these boards trying to find someone that has started chemo with a chest wound.  Oncologist said I needed to start chemo as soon as possible since it had already been delayed by a second surgery.  Any input would be appreciated.  I am wondering if this wound is going to be there until I finish all treatment.  I change the dressing twice a day using saline wet to dry gauze.  I am considering having my bs refer me to Vanderbilt Breast Center.

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Nov 8, 2010 02:45PM kira1234 wrote:

nurseronda10, You and I could be twins. I also got an infection, but in my case my breast burst open, but it was after the 1st treatment I was on TC, and ended up in the hospital with the infection on IV's. My BS has not let me get any more chemo till  it heals. In my case it was a lumpectomy, but as I see it an infection for either surgery makes things dicey. I am seeing a new Onc. Thursday, and will see where we go from here.

BS is hoping he can take the stitches out on Thursday, but I have my doubts, I'm still leaking from where he sewed me up. By the way it's been 3 months I've been dealing with this crap.

Dx 6/1/2010, ILC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 10/05/2010 Aromasin (chemical name: exemestane, class: aromatase inhibitor) Surgery 07/10/2010 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side Radiation Therapy 08/03/2010

Nov 8, 2010 08:16PM Shrek4 wrote:

I know I was told I cannot start chemo until I'm completely healed from surgery, even if it means delaying the chemo, otherwise, the risk of life-threatening infection would be too great.

Nov 8, 2010 08:22PM calamtykel wrote:

I have had a chest wound all through chemo.  When they placed my port, which happened between chemo 2 and 3 due to my veins not doing well, there is one part that has not healed.  It's about half the size of a pencil eraser and it keeps scabbing over and when it gets wet - as in a long shower, the  scab falls off and it bleeds clear liquid and blood like crazy.  Then it scabs over again.  It doesn't happen every time it gets wet and today the nurse knocked the scab off when she cleaned my port to access it and it didn't bleed.  I think it's FINALLY healing but it has been since the first week of September!! 
Skin takes much longer to heal on chemo -as long as it's not getting worse and isn't getting infected (Whenever mine opened up, I kept it covered with an antibacterial band aid.)   I stopped using neosporin and anti bacterial solutions because I felt that it wasn't allowing it to heal. 

"But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” Matt. 14:28 Dx 6/12/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 8, 2010 10:56PM nurseronda10 wrote:

Well, it looks like I'm not the lone ranger after all.  My chest wound looked horrible day 10 after first chemo (skin around it got red and inflamed) but after three days on antibiotics it is back to looking like it was prior to chemo.  My breast surgeon in Bowling Green, KY is moving so I am going to be followed at the Nashville Breast Center by Dr. Pat Whitworth.  Just praying that wound will heal so I can get back to work. 

Dx 8/25/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy 04/15/2011 Arimidex (chemical name: anastrozole, class: aromatase inhibitor) Targeted Therapy 10/27/2010 Herceptin (chemical name: trastuzumab) Surgery 06/13/2012 Reconstruction of my left breast; Reconstruction of my right breast Surgery 03/07/2012 Reconstruction of my left breast: Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement Surgery 09/13/2010 Mastectomy of one or both breasts: Mastectomy of my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Underarm (axillary) lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side Surgery 03/07/2012 Prophylactic (also called preventive) mastectomy of one or both breasts : Prophylactic (also called preventive) mastectomy of my right breast ; Reconstruction of my right breast: Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 10/27/2010 Carboplatin (brand name: Paraplatin), Taxotere (chemical name: docetaxel)