Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting Chemo in Feb?

Options
swimmingmom
swimmingmom Member Posts: 121

My first apt is set for Feb 15. Would love someone else to go through this with me. Karen

Comments

• NarberthMom
    NarberthMom Member Posts: 382
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi Karen --

I'll probably be starting in late Februrary or early March. I had my lumpectomy and SNB on 1/9. There are some complications -- my nodes were clear but one margin was not. The surgeon and radiation oncologist have to argue that one out. Also, my onc still wants me to go through a bunch more tests (including an MRI-guided biopsy on the "good breast" to make sure that I don't need a bilateral mastectomy) before starting chemo.

Quite frankly, I wish that I had a start date so that I could plan my life!

I'm stage 1, triple negative. What about you?

Also, did you doc give you a choice about clinical trials?
  • swimmingmom
    edited January 2007
    Options

I am stage two with 2+ nodes. The tumor was small but has spread to the nodes. Don't know about ER/PR or Her status yet. They did give me information on one clinical trial. Haven't made up my mind. Going to look at wigs tomorrow. They say to do it know before your hair falls out. I am thinking of having it shaved. I don't want to shed it off. Also my son is a swimmer and state is coming up. We can get them shaved together! Scared as hell. Still waiting for the CT scans to rule out further disease. I won't sleep or stop crying until that comes back negative. Karen

• marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited January 2007
    Options

Hey Karen, I get my port in tomorrow so looks like maybe we will go through this about the same time. I don't have a scheduled first chemo date, but hell the port is going in! I had the PET/CT scan last Thursday and it was perfectly normal Yippee. So I will see you on this thread and we can do this! (I think). I am having A/C X4 every 3 weeks then Taxol for 12. What about you? Hello new friend.......Marsha

• NarberthMom
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Welcome Karen!

Good news - the surgeon and radiologist have agreed that I don't need new surgery. Now I just have to get through an MRI-guided biopsy on the other breast and I can start scheduling the start of chemo.

My cancer center doesn't use ports -- I'll be getting everything directly by IV.

If I do the clinical trial, then I'll have one of three possible regimens:
    AC X4 every two weeks, followed by Taxol X4 every two weeks
    ACT X6 every three weeks
    AC X4 every two weeks, followed by Taxol/Gemzar X4 every two weeks

-- Hillary
  • marshakb
    edited January 2007
    Options

Hi Hillary, so glad you don't need more surgery! Move on to preventative treatment and call ourselves survivors! You seem to have the same "cocktails" presribed for you as me A/C followed by taxol. I'm ER/PR pos and HER/FISH Neg. I had a 5 cm ILC with 1 of 13 nodes micro pos. Right mastectomy Dec 29. Healing nicely. I am ready to move on along cause I got a lot of living to do. Here we go girls, fasten your seatbelt. Marsha

• swimmingmom
    edited January 2007
    Options

Marsha, I am glad you are in this group. I need your positive outlook right now. Those around me are shocked because I am normally the stubborn Irish head first into anything tough. Now I am a pile of mush. Still have two kids at home, single mother. I have to keep working through all this. Staying at home in bed is not an option to keep the bills paid. I will feel soooo much better when I get the CT scans and bone scan done. STILL not scheduled. The port is not an option as I am an impossible stick. The clinical trial proposed to me is the same one Hillary listed. Welcome -our group karen, Hillary and Marsha

• MAJ01
    MAJ01 Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi Karen,

I am also beginning Chemo beginning Feb 9th. I had lumpectomy/SNB last Monday with and will have my port placed Feb 5th. Tumor was 1.7 cm. SNB was negative with clear margins. I'm ER/PR pos and HER2/ negative.

Even though my stats were good, my oncologist recommends
    chemo because my sister was also diagnosed with this same horrible disease. We are currently going through genetic counseling. She currently finished her 4th round of chemo I wish we lived was closer to each other.
    We live 2500 miles apart.

I'm ready to get this overwith and it's comforting feeling
    I'm not alone.

-Melody
  • NarberthMom
    edited January 2007
    Options
    hi Karen, Melody, Marsha!

Karen -- I know how you feel about the waiting. We've been back and forth about whether I have anything in the right breast -- I'm still waiting to get the MRI-guided biopsy scheduled. I totally freaked out during the first MRI, so I hope that the sedation that they use for the biopsy will knock me out. My onc seemed less anxious about a bone scan. Have you decided whether to join the clinical trial? I meed again with onc next Tuesday afternoon to go over more details about the trials. I'm having my MUGA scan that morning.

Melody -- I'm going through genetic counseling right now as well because my mom also had pre-menopausal BC. My two younger sisters are anxiously waiting the results. So far I know that I don't have any of the three major mutations in BRCA1/2, but they are going to sequence both genes.

Marsha -- It seems as if we'll need you to keep our spirits up. This disease has kicked me into a pretty bad depression -- I was already primed for it because of some family tragedies and mid-life professional crisis. I have a five-year old and it is taking all my energy to put on a good face for him. I've taken a temporary leave of absence from work, but need to make a long term decision at some point. I'm going to wait until the anti-depression meds kick in!

-- Hillary
  • ErinsGram
    ErinsGram Member Posts: 150
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I too have just had the clinical trial discussion - I'll be starting early- to mid-Feb. Had a left mast Jan 16 - 5+cm ILC and 1 of 26 positive nodes. She wants to hit it with both barrels and suggests this is the way to do it. Karen and Hillary - I'll be interested in what you gals decide. She's going to submit me for approval and we'll meet Feb 5th to discuss further. I just wanna get started and git 'er done!
    Phyllis
  • Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I don't have a date yet for my chemo, but I'm sure it'll be in Feb. I had my bx surgery Jan 3rd, and was given my dx Jan 11th. I'm seeing my onc on Monday, then will schedule my next surgery. I wanted his opinion on a mastectomy vs lumpectomy before proceeding. We are sure the cancer is in my nodes because one can be felt, so having an axillary node dissection as well. His office asked if I'd had a bone scan yet, which I haven't, so I think they will get me scheduled for it soon. Terrified of the possibility that it's spread beyond the nodes. I have an almost 5 yo dd, and a 20 mo son, and I'm so afraid for them. I don't want them to grow up without a mother like my poor husband did. I cry so much that my dd barely notices anymore. LOL

So sorry we're all dealing with this, but I'm glad I won't be alone during chemo.

Cynthia
  • NarberthMom
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Cynthia -- Welcome to our group. I'm sorry that you're crying so much. I have an almost six year old son and was the same way. You need to get some prescriptions for some anti-anxiety and/or anti-depressants. I'm NOT a pill taker, but I was convinced to take these so that I could remain strong for my family. The antidepressants take a while to kick in. I started on the 17th and today is the first day that I haven't had a long crying jag. Call your primary care physician and see if he/she can get you something to help.

The good news is that you're ER positive -- wish I was, as it has a better prognosis than ER negative.

Keep in touch and let us know what your decide between lumpectomy and mastecomy. They typically start chemo 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.

-- Hillary
  • marshakb
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Karen, Hillary, Melody, Phyllis and Cynthia...well gals looks like we are in this together. Thank God for you all, not that I would wish this on anyone else, but so nice to know we can be here for each other. Alot of us are starting with A/C is seems? Got my port put in today, a little sore but got that pain medicine filled. I have very small veins and my onc said the port would make things much easier. I started anti-depressants 2 weeks ago today and can't really tell much difference yet. Still taking the xanax!

Wow you girls with the small kiddies to deal with. I just have 2 big dogs to contend with who want to jump up on the bed! Phyllis...sounds like our dx was alot alike. Mine too was ILC (I like being different) 5 cm with one stinking node positive.

I didn't have the option of lumpectomy over mastectomy because of my little itty bitty titty. 5 cm in a b size cup pretty much spoke for itself!

I will be glad to get the first chemo done so the UNKNOWN is behind me. This dang BC is trying to steal my sense of humor but I absolutely will not allow that. I take pride in being the funniest one in the room and admit this whole thing has given me some new material (I know I'm sick, sick, sick). However I have been reduced on occasion to throwing myself on the floor and crying like a baby. Jeez..........Hugs to my new friends.....Marsha
  • swimmingmom
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Marsha, Hillary, Melody, Phyllis and Cynthia,
    I feel just a little bit better now that I have a support group now.
    My son is in high school and a swimmer. He has districts the day after I get my first chemo. This is a huge deal for him because he really has worked hard to make it to state and hopes to swim in college. I can't imagine not being there. Anyone think that it is a possibility or am I just crazy? It is at night and about one hour away at Miami University. Typical bleacher seating. Meet lasts about 3 hours. Of course I would not want to embarrass him either. Need you thoughts.
  • Lynn12
    Lynn12 Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi Karen,

I'm in the Jan. 07 group and just had my first chemo last Friday. Just wanted to pop in and say that the day after the first chemo for me was the easiest (so far). The day after I was a little foggy and had a bad taste in my mouth, but could have gone to a swim meet or basketball game with no problem.

I'm sorry you all are here, however you'll be amazed at how supportive it is to have all these wondeful women to talk to as you all go through this together.

Fists up! You can do it!

Lynn
  • marshakb
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Karen,
    Isn't it great of Lynn to pop in and say YES go to that meet. I have heard others say it is day 3-4 that is the worst. I'd plan on going if I were you. Kepp his life as normal as possible and that will make you feel better too!! Hugs, Marsha
  • swimmingmom
    edited January 2007
    Options

Lynn Thank you so much for the encouragement. I will hope to be there for him!! Karen

• NarberthMom
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Karen -- You should definitely go -- and get someone to drive you. I'm going to have to deal with my son's 6th birthday party while on chemo!

I just found out that they've scheduled my MRI-guided biopsy under sedation for my other breast on Feb. 1st. They want to check on two suspicious areas. I'm nervous, because I totally freaked out during my first MRI. I hope that they give me lots of sedation.

My other news is I started wig shopping. I looked at wigs at the boutique at the breast cancer center. Today, a friend is taking me to another place to try on wigs. Any one else started to plan about hair loss?

Finally, the anti-depressants seem to be kicking in, otherwise there's no way I could have looked at wigs without bursting into tears. So, I guess that's good news too!

-- Hillary
  • marshakb
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hillary, I have not started the wig shopping yet. I have very long hair so need to cut it first. I'm thinking a short shag cut so I don't have to look at 2 foot long hairs on my pillow or have to get a plumber in to unclog the drain LOL. Anyhoo, until I cut it I can't try on wigs because I understand it needs to fit snug? I'm looking into Locks For Love to donate it to and then a cute cut to enjoy for 3-4 weeks.

Here's to ruling out something suspicious. Hang in there honey and take a xanax. Hugs, Marsha
  • linnieva
    linnieva Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi Karen,
    I'm probably going to start chemo in Feb and also looking for a group to share with. I had my 3rd surgery last week because my SNB turned up pos after the original neg. Had my scans on Wed and my port is going in next Mon. If nothing else shows up, I think I'll probably start on 2/6. Still can't believe this is happening .....

Linda
  • linnieva
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi Marsha,
    I also have long hair. I bought a wig a few weeks ago and it didn't seem to be a problem for them to fit me. The one that I bought has stretch bands on the inside so I think that helps with the fit. I've also been thinking about trying a short cut before my hair falls out since I haven't had short hair since I was probably 6 yo.

I already feel better joining this forum (should have done it weeks ago). I'm so tired of feeling scared.

Linda
  • NarberthMom
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Welcome to our group, Linda!

Marsha -- I have really long hair too! Definitely get it cut first. The suggestion that I got was somewhere between the chin and shoulders with layers around the face. I'm also going to get it colored. I'm salt and pepper, so I thought it might be fun to go different. Besides if I don't like it, it's going to fall out anyways! Maybe folks will be so surprised by the new color that they won't necessarily notice the wig, pale face, etc!

-- H.
  • marshakb
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Welcome Linda to the Feb group. I too have had the long hair all my life. Oh well, I heard from someone can't remember who that not everyone loses their hair, but most do. Also heavy hair is going to fall out easier....so off to the salon to get rid of some of the weight. Also if I am going to be fatigued it will just be easier washing/drying a short shag. I do alot of theatre and they have a whole room of wigs and the theatre is about a mile from my house. I've decided to have fun with it. Maybe blonde one day, brunette, redhead, short, long, curly etc. teehee if it's gonna happen you know what they say "when life hands you lemons, get out the tequilla and salt" !!
    Hey Hillary, has anyone told you about the Look Good, Feel Better program the American Cancer Society has? I heard you get a bunch of FREE make-up, the expensive kind and they also give suggestions for scarves, etc. I am definately looking into that. Marsha
  • marshakb
    edited January 2007
    Options

Oh and Linda the group so far consists of: Karen (sween), Hillary (Narbertmom), Melody (MAJ01), Phyllis (ErinsGram), Cynthia (Cynthia1962) and now you Linda (linnieva). I've got everyone written down so as to make sure we hear from everyone and am here anytime anyone needs me. Because girls, I NEED YOU. Hugs, Marsha

• linnieva
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi to my new friends, Marsha, Karen, Hillary, Medody, Phyllis, and Cynthia,

I'm thankful that we'll have each other for support in getting thru this. I'm available anytime if you need to talk, cry, or laugh. Wish we were meeting under different circumstances (a margarita party perhaps?)

Has anyone checked into whether you can go on short-term disability while on chemo? I'm seeing my onc next Wed and I'm going to ask about it.

One other question. My onc said my HER2 test was positive but that she needed a FISH test run to be certain. Did anyone else have this happen? I guess if it comes back positive, she wants me to take Herceptin in addition to A/C and T.

Linda
  • marshakb
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Linda, my HER/neu came back 2+ which is borderline so they then order the FISH which is a much more definative test for it. Mine came back Neg on that. So it is A/C and T for me. A margarita party sounds fabulous. Maybe we can all meet in the chat room sometime when we know we will all be online.
    I don't know about the short-term disability. I thought for that you had to be stage IV? But not sure about that. Maybe one of our other new friends will have info on that. I'm lucky as a realtor I can basically work out of my home and take a nap if I get tired mid-day. Marsha
  • linnieva
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Thanks Marsha for the info on the HER FISH test. Mine, too, came back 2+ so that must be why the onc ordered the FISH test. Yours then came back negative so that gives me hope

Today is the first day I have felt that I can do this. I think this board/forum is going to be a life saver. Thanks to you all ....

Linda
  • swimmingmom
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Linda,
    I am on FMLA with STD pay for my surgery. Then for chemo and Radiation I went on an intermittent FMLA. This allows me to call off as needed and still protect my job. I have a total of 12 weeks. So each day off just takes one day off the 12 weeks. So for my first chemo which is on a Thursday I will be off Thursday and Friday and hopefully return on Mon. Who knows-never done this before. Plus if you are having a bad day, tired you can call in with full prtection. I am actually a nurse but oncology is far from my thing. I have been an ICU nurse for 25 years. Now I am a manager and work with FMLA and STD all the time for my employees.

Two nurses at work are going through this. I swear one never missed a day of work-plowed right on through it. Said she never felt bad. The second ended up taking off the weeks of A/C and said she just could not have worked she was so sick. Now she is back full time on the second half. I guess that proves that we are each going to respond individually.

Bought my wig today. Looks better than my real hair!! I have chemo on the 15 and on the 17th I have an apt to get it all shaved off. I don't want to wake up to hair all over or get it everywhere.

I think I am getting a seroma (lymph pocket) tonight from where they pulled the drain. It is growing and of course it is Friday. I bet I will have to wait until Monday to get it drained. It hurts already. anyone else have that happen?

My poor daughter had a meltdown today. I felt so bad for her. Crying about the idea of losing me. It was hell.

But hey the wig looks good!
  • MAJ01
    MAJ01 Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi friends Marsha, Karen, Hillary, Phyllis, Cynthia, Linda

Linda - I am also going on FLMA and opting for intermittant STD during the chemo. I also have LTD which kicks in later once I use up my Short term disability. Each company is different, so you may just need to talk to your HR department. My company benefit is 100% pay for the first 64 days before LTD kicks in with 66 2/3%pay up to one year. My manager is very supportive and flexible - so I'm able to work when I can. My goal is to take a week STD for each Chemo treatment, followed by working full time the next two weeks, providing I am feeling up to it. My sister is having an awful time with the Chemo. Has ended up in the hospital 3 of the 4 times so far because of dehydration. I'm praying I do not respond the same. However I'm easily nauseous. Has anyone investigated meds prescribed for Nausea and which ones are best?

Question for you all? How did you learn about the clinical trials? My oncologist has not mentioned anything.

Where did you go shop for wigs?

Linda - My daughter also had a meltdown this weekend. She is in college in Florida. I'm flying in for a visit to enjoy a couple of days and try not to think of BC before I start the Chemo.

Take care everyone...

Melody
  • wayover20
    wayover20 Member Posts: 191
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Count me in ladies. I start chemo on Feb 8th (and I turn 50 on feb 11th....happy birthday huh). I had my right mastectomy on Jan 9th for a 4.3cm mass ILC with neg nodes and triple neg. Also, in 2004 I had a left lumpectomy due to dcis and neg nodes which is when I first found this lifesaver of a place.

Sween, I am also a nurse and I work in a busy outpatient surgery center and I am currently using up the last of my vaction and sick days and will probably dip into my short term disability until I see how this chemo thing goes. Heck, I think I deserve to stay home and pamper myself as much as I can until I feel ready to go back. As it is, the drain was removed after 5 days ago and right now the incision is hurting and swollen so I think when I see my surgeon on Monday 1-29, he'll probably have to drain it then we'll plan for the port insertion.

As I stated on another post, I'm scheduled for the 2D echo and the PET scan and I'm petrified they'll find "something else". You know, like when you take your car to the shop for something simple and they find it needs this and that. I don't want/need anymore bad news.
    It's just my daughter (22yrs) and I, and she's in school fulltime so I'm the breadwinner for the household. I see the fear in her eyes so I'm making sure to spend time talking with her, letting her know I'm feeling ok, that I'm going to do everything to make sure I spank "the beast" into oblivion, never to return again.
  • NarberthMom
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Welcome wayover20!

Melody -- My onc nurse gave me a list of potential wig places. I double-checked in the yellowpages, then made some phone calls. You could also ask your hairdressers.

As for clinical trials, not all oncologists are involved in them. If you are going to one in a large comprehensive cancer center, then they will be more likely to be involved in one. Also, the clinical trials have very specific guidelines, so you may not fall into the right ones even if your onc is involved with some.

It's amazing that we have so many nurses as February sisters. I'm actually a scientist (molecular biologist), so we've got a broad range of backgrounds on which to rely!

-- Hillary