Topic: Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Apr 5, 2007 10:04PM - edited Aug 9, 2022 08:58PM by moderators

Posted on: Apr 5, 2007 10:04PM - edited Aug 9, 2022 08:58PM by moderators

cinrae123 wrote:

Anyone out there on taxotere, carboplatin, and herceptin? I am starting this program in May, I will be doing it every week instead of every third week...and would like to know what sort of side effects anyone has had. Examples:hair loss, nausea, vomiting, etc. I chose the every week routine as I was encouraged by a woman in the drs. office that is halfway thru and has not had any hair loss. I was thinking that because each cycle is spread out every week instead of a big dose once,,,,,that maybe that has something to do with it. I am having a difficult time with the thought of losing my hair. Silly I know...everyone says it grows back...but it's just a personal thing for me. So anyone out here that did TCH every week? I would truly like to hear from you.

Thank you.

Cindy Dx 1/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Page 1880 of 1,882 (18,817 results)

Nov 6, 2016 02:05PM amylsp wrote:

I definitely bruise more now than before Chemo. The bruises are also more 'dramatic' looking and take longer to go away. My platelets are normal, but in the lower normal range. The fact is, all my blood counts are depressed from their pre chemo counts and I am 21 months out from final chemo. The Hematologist I consulted with said my counts might never get back to my former levels. Only time will tell.

Dx 7/30/2014, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 8/18/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 9/9/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 10/3/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Targeted Therapy 10/30/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/30/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 3/16/2015 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 5/2/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/25/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 8, 2017 10:55AM LeslieS wrote:

Hi. I had my first TCHP March 30. Taxotere Carboplatin Herceptin Perjeta. It is 8 days out and the only food that doesn't make me nauseated is chicken noodle soup and peanut butter crackers. Any suggestions? Does it get better through the weeks? I'm getting treatment every 3 weeks for six times.

And does icing the hands and feet protect from neuropathy?

And did anyone at this point just still feel weird and spacey?

Leslie

Apr 8, 2017 11:09AM specialk wrote:

Leslie - this is an older thread and many of us were treated prior to the approved use of Perjeta, so we got TCH without P. It is normal to feel spacey - I usually felt off and had GI upset for the first 10 days after infusion, then the second 10 day period leading up to the next infusion felt ok but my taste buds were still affected. I found that bland foods, fruit, smoothies were good first 10 days, then tried to eat high protein the second 10 days even though I couldn't really taste it, in an effort to keep my red cells and hemoglobin up. I am not personally convinced that icing prevents neuropathy, I did it to protect my nails - hands and feet during Taxotere. I took L-Glutamine and Vit B-6 for neuropathy prevention. What kind of anti-nausea meds are you taking

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Apr 8, 2017 11:47AM Joemommy wrote:

Hi Leslie,

I also did the TCH combo awhile back (2012) before Perjata but I can still remember how you are feeling! The first week was always the hardest. The best advice I have is to eat whatever you can get down st that point! One thing that happened to me though is that I developed food aversions so the foods I could eat during chemo (particularly that first week after treatment) don't appeal to me to this day! Comfort foods like mac and cheese and chicken pot pie helped me then but now turn my stomach even five years later.

I didn't ice and didn't have any neuropathy. I did use tea tree oil on my nails and did not lose them.

I wish you the best!

Stac

Dx 6/8/2012, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/27/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 9/6/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/6/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/22/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/14/2013

Apr 8, 2017 01:09PM minustwo wrote:

I did TCHP. I had no nausea but ongoing diarrhea. Mostly I just ate the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce & toast. I drank Carnation Instant Breakfast with Nestles Bene Protein powder added. I did ice (with frozen peas). It not prevent neuropathy which is ongoing 3 years later, but it did keep me from loosing my nails. (fingers & toes). I also took L-Glutamine & B-6 & B-12 to counteract neuropathy, but in my case it wasn't successful. Or maybe it was - since I have only profound numbness in my feet & still occasionally in my fingers, but no pain. I usually had an additional bag of saline/fluids half way between the every 3 week treatments.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Apr 8, 2017 05:02PM bellasmomtoo wrote:

LeslieS: I also did TCHP, every 3 weeks for 6 cycles. I had very little nausea, but my taste buds went wacky. Fortunately, fruits, veggies, citrus, and tomato-based products tasted good to me thoughout my chemo. Most days I didn't have an appetite, but forced myself to eat. Apple sauce and bananas were my go-to foods. Before chemo I was a daily coffee drinker, but coffee didn't appeal to me until about day 12 after chemo. (Around day 12 my taste buds improved and other foods were more appealing, until the next chemo round.)

I didn't do any icing, and haven't had neuropathy. After my 6th and final round my finger nails starting cracking but I don't know if icing would have prevented that. My toe nails are fine.

I remember feeling a little weird after the first round. I assumed it was from stress and anxiety.

Good luck to you!

Dx'd at age 56. Tumor found by my annual mammogram -- cancer can grow fast! Dx 10/6/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 10/6/2016, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+/PR- Targeted Therapy 11/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 11/2/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 11/2/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 3/27/2017 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left)

Apr 21, 2017 10:22AM mdba wrote:

pasmithx2- I know it has been a long time since you posted..so I am hoping you get this message. I finished Taxotere and Cytoxan with Herceptin 12 weeks ago (4 rounds). I am now getting Herceptin every 3 weeks until Nov 2017. I too have had eye twitch and muscle twitches all over my body ( cant see) but I can feel them they are constant in random places. It is very anxiety producing. My Onc is young and she says she has never had a patient complain of twitches. But, I have read so many posts regarding this.. How long did it take for yours to go away? Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you!

mdba

Jun 4, 2017 09:23AM Upheld wrote:

Was wanting some feedback on when, in the 3 week cycle, you experienced the most side effects? I want to work and am trying to anticipate. Also, did your side effects worsen with each successive round? I will have 5 more rounds, once every 3 weeks.

Dx 5/3/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 5/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 5/29/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/29/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy

Jun 4, 2017 12:27PM specialk wrote:

upheld - I usually felt ok day of infusion and day after, but had fatigue, and some GI issues from days 3-5-ish, didn't schedule much for the following few days but then felt pretty normal for the remainder of the time until the next infusion. That is pretty typical for TCH, and I iced fingers and toes, and held ice chips in my mouth for the Taxotere infusion to prevent nail lifting and mouth sores. I took vitamin B6 and L-Glutamine to prevent neuropathy. I had tingling after the first infusion, which resolved by the next infusion for the first 3, then it stayed. I continued the B6 and L-Glutamine and all neuropathy dissipated by about 90 days after the last infusion. I took Claritin prior to my Neulasta injection, didn't have bone pain.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Jun 4, 2017 09:06PM jandjmom wrote:

Upheld - everyone reacts differently so be prepared for the worst, but expect the best. My experience was the first 3 sessions were alright. Yeah, some tiredness, a little bone pain, some taste issues - no real big deal. But on cycle 4 I had debilitating nausea, diarrhea, and tiredness that kept me home bound in bed for days at a time. The 5th cycle was the worst with active vomiting despite 7 meds and exhaustion I didn't dream possible. Taste issues made water taste like pond scum and food (especially bread products of any kind) wasn't much better. Slept for days and lived on ensure shakes. By 6th cycle, the doctor lowered the dose and I handled it better, but not well enough to 'work'. I am a homeschool mom and cancelled school that entire cycle. Now, others breeze through it in comparison. You never know how it will hit you until it you go through it. So be prepared for all eventualities.

Dx 7/16 Age 49 4.6 cm tumor & 1+ node cleared w/chemo 6 TCHP (~pCR 2mm tumor left). Clinical Trial Rads:No Nodes. 25/6. Treat. Done 4/17. Herceptin till 11/17 Dx 7/26/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, Chemotherapy 8/28/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/29/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 8/29/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 1/23/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/15/2017 Whole breast: Breast

Page 1880 of 1,882 (18,817 results)

Scroll to top button