Topic: Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Apr 5, 2007 10:04PM - edited Aug 9, 2022 08:58PM by moderators

Posted on: Apr 5, 2007 10:04PM - edited Aug 9, 2022 08:58PM by moderators

cinrae123 wrote:

Anyone out there on taxotere, carboplatin, and herceptin? I am starting this program in May, I will be doing it every week instead of every third week...and would like to know what sort of side effects anyone has had. Examples:hair loss, nausea, vomiting, etc. I chose the every week routine as I was encouraged by a woman in the drs. office that is halfway thru and has not had any hair loss. I was thinking that because each cycle is spread out every week instead of a big dose once,,,,,that maybe that has something to do with it. I am having a difficult time with the thought of losing my hair. Silly I know...everyone says it grows back...but it's just a personal thing for me. So anyone out here that did TCH every week? I would truly like to hear from you.

Thank you.

Cindy Dx 1/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Page 1881 of 1,882 (18,817 results)

Jul 21, 2017 08:29PM - edited Jul 21, 2017 08:31PM by april25

Checking in! 2 years post LX, 2.5 years since DX and start of TCHP.

Dental-- I have horrible teeth... I was lucky to have no problems while getting treated for BC (worried about infections). I don't notice any worse teeth post chemo. I have a possible cavity, but mostly likely due to having Type 2 diabetes, which DOES mess with your teeth. My diabetes is pretty much under control... so maybe it's just a random cavity! --I did not have problems with dry mouth. I think my MO said the L-Glutamine was supposed to help that.

Diarrhea-- During chemo, I had it BAD. Not C-Diff. It would start within a week after the infusion--so much that I was hospitalized for several weeks the first two cycles! AND I had HOME saline drips the other 4 cycles. AND that was after my MO reduced my Taxotere for the last 4! It didn't seem to make a difference, but they still reduced it. I would lose 10-20 pounds each cycle and gain some back between cycles! UGH. Plus, everything tasted like cardboard, so I hated eating. I didn't get nausea (well, once or twice only)... mostly just couldn't eat and couldn't keep anything in me anyway...

Neuropathy-- I had it. Got tested by neurologist and had weakened nerve response in both legs and a bit in the arms. I didn't really get pain... some tingling. And got a bit of drop-foot, so that I actually tripped and sprained my ankle! BUT... most of that resolved after chemo! I currently have a little tingling in my thumb, but that came on about year or so later and could be carpal tunnel! And my foot no longer drops, but sometimes I feel like I'm not picking up my feet enough--so maybe some of the weak nerve signals remain.

GI tract-- Not fully back... I get diarrhea still, but not at all as bad. Rumbling tummy a fair amount. But not really a problem.

Perjeta/insurance -- When I was diagnosed I was at Kaiser. They wouldn't give me Perjeta until I got an outside 2nd opinion. I switched insurance after that--worried that I'd have to fight for everything...!

======

Got a junk call one day asking if I'd had taxotere... something about lawsuits. Anyone else got anything like that? I wonder how they search that kind of thing??? but maybe they can pick up stuff from online posts??? *__*

======

I hope you all are doing well. I'm pretty much back to normal... I just need to exercise more and get my energy up, and things would be better, but that's all. (Oh, and am Fosamax, so I guess my bones aren't doing so well, but hopefully the meds will help, and that could just be from being post-menopausal and older.)

Dx 11/19/2014, IDC, Right, 3cm, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+, Targeted Therapy 12/15/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/15/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/16/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 5/8/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/9/2015 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/3/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 20, 2017 12:21AM Blownaway wrote:

I saw an ad on tv about a class action lawsuit involving taxotere and permanent hairloss....

Dx 3/31/2014, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, Surgery 5/13/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 6/3/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 7/3/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 7/3/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 10/7/2014 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Breast

Dec 21, 2017 11:45AM rljes wrote:

I brought this up to my MO (the Taxortere Class action lawsuit) and he laughed it off.  Easy for him to.  But if my hair doesn't come back, I'll take the money.  I'm ok with no hair. (for now) 

Finished Chemo March 2018, No reconstruction "Going Flat" Dx 6/26/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Dx 8/22/2017, 1/7 nodes, HER2+ Surgery 8/22/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy

Dec 21, 2017 12:15PM specialk wrote:

rljes - the class action suit does not hinge on whether or not your hair returns, to join the class the basis for the suit has to do with whether or not you were made aware that the possibility exists that your hair loss could be permanent. This class action stems from the previous lack of warnings in the US from the manufacturer, which constituted a lack of full disclosure on their part. If you have received the current warning sheets from your oncologist at the time of drug administration it does include the information that permanent hair loss can occur. It is incumbent upon the patient to read this information, and it absents you from the class if you received it and did not read it in full.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Dec 21, 2017 03:47PM rljes wrote:

Thanks Special K - I will read my paperwork and see if I was made aware in the thin fine print! You are such a wealth of information - thanks for looking out for us!

rj

Finished Chemo March 2018, No reconstruction "Going Flat" Dx 6/26/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Dx 8/22/2017, 1/7 nodes, HER2+ Surgery 8/22/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy

Dec 22, 2017 12:28AM specialk wrote:

Fine print is pretty accurate! You really have to look for it - but it is now there. When I had Taxotere in early 2011 I don't think it was included, but I learned about the permanent hair loss on this board and did discuss it with my oncologist.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Dec 22, 2017 09:54AM amyisstrong wrote:

Paperwork? I don't remember getting ANY Taxotere paperwork. But it was all a blur to me then, so who knows.

BUT more importantly, my hair (which has always been very thick) is NOW thinning DRAMATICALLY. On the top and along the sides, especially. I can't imagine this could be related, could it? (I did the chemo in 2009) I just had my thyroid tested b/c that could be a cause of hairloss, but nope - it's normal. It is a small thing, but I am really bothered by it. Any thoughts?

Lumpectomy 4/09, TCH 4/09-8/09, Rads 8/09-10/09 Herceptin 4/09-3/10,Tamoxifen 10/09 - 10/12. Cervical polyp from Tamox, had D&C - benign. Now on Arimidex 10/12. Total hysterectomy 4/13 Dx 3/2/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 22, 2017 11:33AM specialk wrote:

amyisstrong - the side effects and black box warnings are on the inserts - like you get at the pharmacy when you fill a presscription - I had a big folder from the manufacturer - Sanofi-Aventis. It is unlikely that it is Taxotere this late causing your hair problems - that loss is permanent at the time it happened. Are you still on Arimidex? Lack of estrogen can definitely cause thinning, mine has as well. Did you have the T3 thyroid test, the T4, or both? Sometimes you need the more sensitive test to uncover thyroid issues.

Dec 22, 2017 11:56AM rljes wrote:

I buzzed my head as soon as my first hairs started coming out.  I'm not worried about it.  Just more curious. 

Feb 12, 2019 08:21AM Cassie23 wrote:

hi. JUST WANNA KNOW IF ANYONE HAS THIS SIDE EFFECT. Just started my 1st cycle. Its been 4hrs and my my chest hurts a bit. Its like compressing but not that bad. Like 2 out of 10 pain scale. But its not normal for me. I just wanna know if anyone has experienced it. I feel normal other than that. No stomach pain or nausea or anytging. Just my chest is compressing at the center and its bugging me out. I can breath normally but theres a stabbing pain. Compressing my chest. My onc said that it may be the meds reacting. Im not thinking well right now. And im freaking out. And also, do u wear masks? Just wondering. Thank u for ur time! I appreciate it so much if someone could tell me im not the only one experiencing this.

Page 1881 of 1,882 (18,817 results)

Scroll to top button