We are 228,650 members in 84 forums discussing 159,786 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: How much did your chemo cost?

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Nov 1, 2007 11:15PM - edited Nov 1, 2007 11:15PM by chemo072

chemo072 wrote:

Just wondering how much your chemo costs?  I added up my onc. bills for 4 rounds of AC plus 4 rounds of taxol, and their total charges are approx. $90K (almost $50K for neulasta alone).  Ins. paid them $34K and the rest is a writeoff. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Nov 5, 2007 07:11PM cinrae123 wrote:

Hi Amya,,,,,,,,,,I'm from the May group.  I have gotten the explanation of benefits from my insurance,,,,,,,and omg I was shocked at how much chemo is.  For each chemo,,,,,,it was 14,000 and for each neulasta it was 5,000.  Luckily I have Blue Cross EPO and my portion was $15 each time.  I couldnt imagine not having insurance or having to pay like 10 or 20 percent of the total bill.  Well,,,,,,I wouldnt be able to pay that,,,,,,,,,so I feel blessed. I dont know how people who have to pay like 10 or 20 percent do it.  Its awful huh?

Cindy

Cindy Dx 1/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 6, 2007 10:00AM - edited Nov 6, 2007 10:01AM by Carolina59

So far, between $37,000 and $40,000 for EACH chemo treatment. Not including Neulasta. When I went back one week after my first tx to get rehydration, antinausea, pepcid, magnesium and potassium (I had lost 8 lbs. in one week due to nausea), it was $17,000. I live in NYC, and go to one of the top breast cancer centers, so I don't know if that factors in to the cost.

My insurance pays 100% of my chemo txs, thank God.

What I'm wondering is: where is the incentive for doctors and pharmaceutical cos. to find a real cure for BC when they are making billions on treatment?

Argh.

Carolina

Dx 5/31/07: left, DCIS; right, DCIS (10cm) & IDC (multifocal >2cm); Stage I, grade 3, 0/12 nodes, ER+/PR+/HER2+; bilateral mastectomy 6/26/07; TCH, Arimidex-5 years; BRCA2: variant of uncertain significance; bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy 2/29/08 Dx 5/31/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Nov 6, 2007 09:22PM cinrae123 wrote:

Carolina,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats a gooooooooood question.  When you find out the answer let us know ok??

The cost of chemo is horrendous huh?  I seriously dont know how people do it without good insurance.  To be honest,,,,,,,,if my insurance didnt pay ( I only have a co pay of $15 ) I guess I couldnt afford it either.  But glad I have good insurance.

Take care ladies

Cindy

Cindy Dx 1/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 6, 2007 10:32PM mrs_X_Sunneedazee wrote:

I have to pay 30% of my treatment, but we have a maximum catastrophic coverage of $5000 a year.  My treatments so far total $40,000, and I will be on weekly herceptin at about $1000 (after the insurance write-offs, our portion is $300) a week for the rest of my life.  Kind of staggering, but what price can you put on life???  At least there is a yearly maximum, otherwise we would probably go bankrupt!

Every day is a gift...........www.amberchase.weebly.com Dx 5/10/2007, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, 3/5 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Nov 13, 2007 07:28AM paxton wrote:

I've been curious to see how much all this will cost, too.  Mine is completely covered so I am unbelievably lucky.  But with all the surgeries, dr visits, 2nd opinion at the mayo clinic, tests, labs, chemo, the shots, a couple of hospital stays and ER visits, genetic couseling, radiation and then follow ups, the total cost must be gynormous. 

Good point about the motivation to find new cures with the income coming in from treatment.  I'm sure its quite expensive to begin with so it would be interesting to see what's tacked on by the time we pay.  But I'm grateful to be treated and I'm hopeful that enough people are out there doing the studies and the research. 

Dx 12/2/2009, IDC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Nov 13, 2007 07:32PM mthomp2020 wrote:

I once came across a website that listed out what the actual cost to the treatment center was for the drugs being used - A/C, Taxol, Herceptin.  The Adriamyacin was only about $300 or so per dose.  Not sure about the Cytoxin, but I doubt it's that expensive.  My treatments were running around $7,000 each for that combo, not including the Neulasta shot.  The Taxol/herceptin is considerably more expensive.  I haven't checked to see what they're charging the insurance company for that one.  Quite a profitable little business, isn't it!

Marsha Dx 5/21/2007, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 29, 2013 10:05AM Waffy444 wrote:

This Post has been removed by the Community.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)