Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Eye twitching

Has anyone else had problems with their eyes twitching from chemo? both of mine get going sometimes at the same time. There are worse things, of course, but it is annoying. Or is it just from stress?

Comments

• revkat
    revkat Member Posts: 122
    edited September 2008

It's probably from chem. I know mine twitched something awful on TC. And it took quite a while afterwards for it to settle down, but I'm about 12 weeks out now and I haven't noticed it recently. It sure is annoying, isn't it?

• Senora
    Senora Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2008

I was on TC as well and had terrible eye twitching.   I finished my last tx on June 30 and within a month all of the twitching had disappeared.  It is very annoying and made trying to wear contacts very difficult.  Hang in there.  It will get better once you have finished your tx.  Take care.

• tkone
    tkone Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2008

I usually get this at about day 6 or so after each treatment.  It only lasts for a couple of days, but glad to know it isn't just me!

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited September 2008

I belong to this club, too.  My eyelids twitched during TC chemo.  It wasn't severe, it only lasted for a few days each tx, and it quit right after my last tx.

otter 

• GrammyNancy
    GrammyNancy Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2008

Add me to the list of eye twitchers.  I was on TAC and had the twitching for about a week after each infusion.  The twitching stopped after chemo and I haven't had a problem since (finished chemo July '07).  I also noticed some vision differences after each chemo but that is gone now.

Good luck to you,

Nancy

• texasmom
    texasmom Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2008

Yes, mine have twitched and been runny on and off during my whole time. My lips started twitching after the last chemo but that went away in about a week.

• magentagirl
    magentagirl Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2008

I'm glad to hear there is an end in sight (no pun intended). I swear, two seconds after I read about the LIP TWITCHING mine twitched a few times. Thanks for answering!

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2008

Yes, my eyes twitched during my four treatments with AC.  I was glad when I realized that the twitching was chemo related and not something that was going to continue.

• mommy3abm
    mommy3abm Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2008

I am on TAC and have the eye twitching too!  So glad I noticed this post.  Saw onco yesterday and he said no one had ever complained of that before.  Told me it was most likely just stress...I don't think so.  VERY ANNOYING and can go off and on for hours!

Stacy

• enjoylife
    enjoylife Member Posts: 187
    edited September 2008

I too got the twitching I am flying out east to my sisters to see my PS next week I said just look for the twitching, swallon, bald, watery eyed, finger nail falling off red faced lady.... I have to laugh or I will cry I have done enough of that and I never had the chaffed face my skin is nomally so oily from being Italain so this is different but the twitching is after the chemo and then it will go away until its next time.

• BBLady
    BBLady Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2008

Looks like this is another 'club' I belong to!  My last chemo was almost 4 weeks ago, and I still have the eye twitching.  I hadn't really thought of it being a side effect of chemo.  I, too, thought it was probably just stress.  It does seem to be happening less often now, so I'm hoping that it will soon quit all together.  Just another one of those 'special' things chemo gives us...

Kathy

• Alice100
    Alice100 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2010

I know this is a post from 2008, but is this happening to anyone?  I can't stand the eyelid twitching it is driving me crazy.  I really think it might be from Chemo...I just want it to stop, both my eyelids have been twitching for about the last 5 days.  My chemo treatment was on the 30th and didn't start until the end of the second week of treatment.

Alice 

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited September 2010

Mine still twitch and I finished TCH on March 10th this year. Drives me batty.

Sue

• Alice100
    Alice100 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2010

Hi suepen:  

You finished on March 10th?  Yikes, I hope that this doesn't continue that long. I know it is the least of our worries, such a small SE in the scheme of things, but it's driving me crazy as well.  I guess there is no way to stop it.  Maybe I'll check with a naturopath or something.

Alice 

• sherrie1964
    sherrie1964 Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2010

Hi Alice -

I haven't posted in a while, but saw your post and had to respond.  I had a horrendous left eye twitch for about six weeks which started about 4 months after my last TC treatment.  My eye doctor said that it was more than likely due to stress and it should go away on its own.  I decided to go to an ophthalmologist for another opinion (my regular eye doctor is an optometrist) and he did a schirmer test (not sure of the sp).  This test showed that my left eye was very dry.  Dry eye can cause twitching.  Anyway I kept putting moisturizing drops in and it gradually got better and better and finally stopped.  It was so annoying, but chances are that it is nothing serious.  Hope this helps!

Sherrie

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519
    edited September 2010

On TC, I had not only eye twiching, but also lip twiching and... nose twiching. Right above the nostrils. It's completely gone now, 7 weeks PFC.

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited September 2010

Alice100: I'm still on herceptin - it might be from that.

Sue

• Laurie_R
    Laurie_R Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2010

I'm another member of this club. I noticed  it got worse if I was doing close up things  Iike needle point.  My eye doctor also said my eyes were dry and recommended that I use eye drops

• sherrie1964
    sherrie1964 Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2010

Nancy -

I can't remember what the brand was of the eye drops  I used, but you can get a recommendation of a good lubricating eye drop from your pharmacist.  There are many over the counter choices.

Sherrie

• violingirl
    violingirl Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011

Anyone still twitching?? I am on Taxatere and Cytoxin and just finished my fourth and last infusion. I've noticed the twitching after the last two infusions. This time I'm having alot of eye watering, worse in the left eye. The skin under my eyes is getting sore. I'm using a gentle cleanser and face lotion which helps a little. I'm hoping it will stop soon. Last Tx was two weeks ago. Wondering if anyone else had trouble with eye watering too. Only other lingering side effect is mild sensitivity (neuropathy) in fingertips, less this time.

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited August 2011

Violin girl: you are not alone. I finished tx x 4 2 weeks ago and have been experiencing eye twitching, first in my left eye, now in both eyes. I thought it was due to not getting enough sleep, I wake up every morning at 2-3 am with a hot wave (like flash, but lasts a long time) and am awake until about 6:00 am. My eyes are not watering, but they do look red and a little swollen. Hopefully it goes away on it's own. I'm not sure whether to blame it on tc or lack of sleep.

• violingirl
    edited August 2011

Deb

Thanks! That was a quick reply. I too wake up with red and puffy eyes, and often in the middle of the night. And I'm noticing the warm spells, not really flashes but definitely enough warmth to wake me. Wondering if tamoxifen will cause full blown flashes as people say. Havent started it yet. Anyways, I think eye problems are most likely chemo related side effects, not lack of sleep. Just my gut feeling. Sure hope we both get a break soon! Hope you sleep well soon!!

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited August 2011

Violin girl: when my onc saw me last week, he commented on thickening/ redness around my eyes. He said it is chemo related.

We also discussed tamoxifen and hot flashes/chemopause. He indicated that what I experience now should be what I experience when I start tamoxifen. I guess time will tell.

• violingirl
    edited August 2011

Hi Deb!

I see the oncologist tomorrow and suspect I'll then start Tamoxifen so I'll post here if we discuss anything new. It would be nice not to have horrible hot flashes but we shall see. I was premenopausal and very regular before surgery (age52) so this is all really new to me!! I'm three weeks out now from last chemo and just over the wknd my eyes finally stopped twitching and just yesterday very little watering, and today none! Yay! Hope your eyes feel better soon! mine were so sore and itchy!!

Sherry

• Webbkb
    Webbkb Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011

Glad to see I am not alone. I will try eye drops for extra moisture. Sunglasses have helped as has massaging a circular motion around my eyes and putting light pressure on the trigger points. I think I'll try an ice mask too. this is the scientific method. Ladies let's all try something and figure this out

• Webbkb
    Webbkb Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011

The eye drops helped a lot. I used Systane and got great relief. Thanks for the suggestion

• Melinda_in_NC
    Melinda_in_NC Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2011

I too am a twitcher. This started after round 4 of TC. Thanks for the eye drop suggestion. The twitching is driving me crazy! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

• Believe47
    Believe47 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011

I'm so glad I looked this up on my own cause my doc said she couldnt find anything on this. My left started on my 2nd treatment and its non stop. With my 4th treatemnt now my right eye has started a little, not as bad. I noticed on my really good week it wasnt as bad. I told my doc it was the chemo and now I have proof. Thanks Ladies and I wish you all the best of luck with life. This is an awful desease and my heart breaks for anyone who has to endure chemo every day. There has to be a better medicine out there for all of us who have had to do this journey. I'm all done with my chemo but now I begin Tamoxafin...

• peachy-pie
    peachy-pie Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2011
    The eye twitching started for me 1 week after my 1st chemo.   Today is exactly 2 wks later and I have it under both eyes,  and it's driving me crazy!   Glad to know I am not the only one experiencing this.   Smile
  • TaraD
    TaraD Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012

I'm on Taxotere Cytoxan and my left eye has been feeling like someone keeps tugging on it in the outside corner. It started after my 3rd round and now I am one I am a week after my 4th and last round and it has not stopped. How long did it take to go away? Did any medications or eye drops help? I've tried everything. (I was on A & C and taxol 6 years ago and it didn't happen then). Thanks for the help.