We are 199,590 members in 81 forums discussing 146,151 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After → Topic: Head Cold Remedies during chemo?

Topic: Head Cold Remedies during chemo?

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Sep 27, 2008 05:56PM

oldlady wrote:

I'm in Day 17 of my 1st 21 day TC cycle.  I was very lucky in terms of side effects except for the hair...

In any case, I have a horrible sinus/head cold that started as sniffles on Thursday.  I've been taking my temp since I think I feel warm but it's been at 99.1 and below all day.  I am not taking any meds right this second but would like to know what we are allowed to take for colds while undergoing chemo.   I will be taking my pre-chemo Decadron starting on Wed which would be Day 21 of Cycle 1. Cycle 2 will start on Thursday.

I read somewhere chemo patients shouldn't even be drinking OJ because Vitamin C and chemo don't mix well plus the OJ can be too harsh on their sensitive mouths.

Any advice???

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Sep 27, 2008 08:50PM dacox wrote:

Did my first round of chemo on the 9/19, started with the sniffles on the 26th and I was told to call the docs if I feel the slightest bit sick, I had some yellow stuff too(gross) so the doc call me in a script and according to the pharmacist it pretty heavy duty stuff!! He asked who was taking this and why because it's so strong and its called levaquin.  So make sure your listening to all of your body, he also told my husband before this stuff, chemo patients would be in the hospital.  I don;t know about you, but I have been there enough in the last 3 months, don't want to go back anytime soon!  Don't know anything about the OJ, I was told not to do any extra stuff like during radiation.  Can you even taste the OJ?  My buds went bye bye and everything taste crappy to me.  I can tell the difference between spicy and salty, however their intensey is another.  Hope this helps.  Good luck with your treatment and your sniffles

Debbie Dx 5/2008, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 27, 2008 11:50PM oldlady wrote:

You are in the nadir since you are on Day 7.  I think my MD would have been more worried if I had also been in the danger zone.  I did call the Triage Nurse early Friday AM to see if I needed to be seen and apparently not as the onc didn't call me back until late afternoon.  They said I was fine since I wasn't breaking 100 degrees and the mucous was clear.  I don't think I am sick-sick just a head cold with the corresponding congestion headache etc.  That's why I was curious as to what OTC cold meds are okay for chemo patients to take.

Everything did taste blah and/or metallic for awhile but I can taste again.  We'll see if my taste buds start losing their ability during the next round.

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)