Join Us

We are 218,168 members in 84 forums discussing 160,926 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: wig advice

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: May 31, 2009 06:56PM

Leah_S wrote:

I am an Orthodox Jew, and so for religious reasons I have been covering my hair (hats/scarves/wigs) since I got married. Since that's almost 33 years, I thought I would post some information/advice about wigs and wig care.

Style - if possible, choose a style and color that is similar/the same as your current hair style. It will be easier to accept the way you look, and might also keep casual acquaintances from asking questions you don't want to answer.

Whether to get a synthetic or human hair wig depends on many thing. A good quality synthetic wig will look and feel good, but won't last as long as a human hair wig. However, since a decent synthetic wig should last for at least a year, there's no reason to spend a lot more on a human hair wig if you find a synthetic that you like. However, a human hair wig is usually lighter and more comfortable.

Care - if you're going to be taking care of it yourself, use very good quality shampoo and conditioner. Synthetic wigs usually keep their set when you wash them, so you just need to put them on a wig stand to air dry. Human hair wigs can be styled with rollers etc the same way your hair is. However, if you use a blowdryer, do so only until the wig is ALMOST all dry and let it air dry for the rest. If you use hot rollers, do so ONLY when the wig is dry. Use a brush with plastic bristles, preferably the type with little balls on the end of the bristles. If the wig is long (over your neck) you'll need to brush the inside where it touches you neck since it tends to get tangled there.Don't be afraid to brush it frequently.I brush most of my wigs every time I wear them. If you want it set by a professional, you're best off finding someone wo does a lot of wigs. I've been told by a number of hairdressers that working with wigs and working with hair are different. Wigs don't need to be shampooed or styled very often.

Keep it on a wig stand when you're not wearing it. To keep it free from dust, cover it with a kerchief (silk or synthetic, it doesn't matter).

Wigs are designed to be worn over hair, which is why so many women who have lost their hair find them itchy. If you can get a wig liner where you get your wig, that will help. If you can't get one, a cotton cap is good (the kind football players sometimes wear under their helmets) or you can cut the foot and lower leg part off of a pair of pantyhose and use that. I've been using the cotton cap since I lost my hair and find it comfortable.

If you get your wig before you lose your hair, make sure the cap is adjustable. It should have two stretchy tabs that attach with either a flat hook or with velcro on the sides of the cap.

If I think of anyting else, I'll post it on this thread.

Now, you would think that since I've been covering my hair for so many years it wouldn't bother me to lose my hair.

You would be wrong.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 3 of 4 (107 results)

Posts 61 - 90 (107 total)

Feb 19, 2011 07:59AM Carrol2 wrote:

I got three synthetic wigs and i rarely ever wear them. The first one I got from AMC. They had a very limited selection and nothing like my hair so i took one that was totally different and thought it might be fun. I did not really feel comfy in it. It itched and it looked like someone else in the mirror to me. Then I found out i qualified for a free wig at the hospital so I went there and picked one as close as I could find to my hair and it is just really wrong and got worse when i had it cut.

Then I found this website that had some great wigs that they donate. My avatar I am wearing it. http://crickettsanswerforcancer.org/

Got a great wig closer to my hair color but much longer. They sent me a gel band to wear under it that makes it way more comfy. It has a kind of mesh front that makes it look more real. I wore it a few times but mostly i just wore hats as its been cold. 

I am at about 10 weeks PFC and my hair is slowly growing back but I still can't go topless. 

Dx 6/23/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2010 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 10/4/2010 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/2/2011

Apr 14, 2011 02:54PM Pegs wrote:

Dont most insurances cover wigs, i know mine did but the prescription had to say something other than "wig" if forget now....

Dx 5/4/2010, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIB, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 14, 2011 03:06PM Carrol2 wrote:

yes Pegs but I have medicaid and they would not cover it. But you need a prescription with most insurance for a cranial prosthesis and then i think normal insurance would cover it. I am 18 weeks PFC now and my head is covered albeit super short, i can go wihthout anything now but i look very butch. I am going to try to find some kind of cute cloth headband or something.

Dx 6/23/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2010 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 10/4/2010 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/2/2011

Apr 15, 2011 12:31AM pejkug3 wrote:

My insurance didn't cover the wig at all.  I have Cigna.  I asked about a "Cranial Prosthesis" and the only thing they would cover was a helmet.  A HELMET!  LOL

Dx 1/13/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 1/26/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy 2/23/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/23/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 6/27/2011 Hormonal Therapy 8/31/2011

Apr 15, 2011 09:17AM Carrol2 wrote:

pejkug3 well if you can't afford it try these people http://crickettsanswerforcancer.org/

They were very nice and got me a good quality wig. You get a choice of wig on wig.com i think it was. They let me pick any wig i wanted no price limit. 

Apr 18, 2011 02:23PM Pegs wrote:

I thought i heard somewhere that if insurance doesn't cover for wigs, that the american cancer society helps people out.  its work some investigation.... 

Dx 5/4/2010, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIB, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 18, 2011 02:36PM Carrol2 wrote:

Yes I got a wig from the American Cancer Society but it was a used wig and they did not have many to chose from I ended up with something totally different than my hair. When this is all over I will donate all my wigs back to them.

Apr 28, 2011 05:36PM determined3 wrote:

okay, i will post this in april chemo and IL too, but i just got my wig today and it does not fit/feel right. i got it from ACS.  do i need to wear something under it? also, someone once mentioned about body glue. i live in the chicago area and it was windy as hell yesterday. i could barely keep my cap on and i still have hair. i will start chemo tomorrow. so,.................trying not to panic......trying to breathe, but HELP. OMG what the hell am i going to do! thought i was proactive by getting started now, but man. okay, help please...seriously.

Apr 28, 2011 06:24PM Carrol2 wrote:

determined3 you can exchange your wig at the ACS if it does not fit. You will have about 2 weeks before your hair begins to fall out so that gives you some time to explore other options. Personally i got 3 wigs and almost never wore them. I wore hats 24/7. I would suggest if your worried about the wind wearing a scarf that you can tie. There are lots of pretty options for scarves and when chemo is over you can still use them. I put a hat on over my wig on windy days. ALso i got this gel band from wigs.com that really helped my wig stay in place and made it more comfortable. Keep in mind it will fit different without hair.

Take a deep breath you will be ok. Losing hair is a heartbreaking expereince but it is only hair, it is still you inside. 

Apr 28, 2011 09:35PM determined3 wrote:

hi carrol2, thanks for responding. yes, i will look for the gel band or something like that. i am mortified about my wig coming off.  i know that hair is a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but i am trying to look as normal/healthy as possible. i am not comfty w/ scarves and maybe it is b/c i teach middle school and i am not ready for the ?s. PLUS i have been out a month and will return next week. i don't feel like answering all the questions.

anyone use the wig hugger from tlc?---just asking b/c someone just sent me a link.

May 12, 2011 08:56AM kathylyon wrote:

hello - can anyone tell me where is a good place on-line to order wigs?.  Is the recommendation for a real hair wig or synthetic?  I will be starting Chemo soon and losing of the hair is bothering me the most.  I am sure most of you understand that. 

Thanks 

May 12, 2011 07:51PM AtaLoss wrote:

Thank you for these ideas. Just had my mastectomy and am heading toward chemo..

May 13, 2011 04:03PM epgnyc wrote:

My wig caps are so uncomfortabe and I'd love to know what it is you have that is so comfy, Cat123.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dx 5/2002, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 2/4/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 14, 2011 03:53PM Leah_S wrote:

epgnyc, I sometimes cut the foot from a pair of pantyhose instead of a cap. Some wig caps are small & tight.

My husband said the cap I have now looks like the type football players wear under their helmets. I guess you could call a sports uniform store & get info on those - don't know where else.

Best of luck.

Leah

May 19, 2011 06:41AM GuyGirl wrote:

You can contact Crickett's Answer for Cancer at crickettsanswerforcancer.org.  They are a wonderful organization that provides services to women with breast cancer.  I was fortunate to have them pay for a massage for me.  They can get you a wig free of charge.  

Ellen Dx 6/3/2010, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 19, 2011 06:46AM Fearless_One wrote:

I just want to add that it's not necessary to spend big bucks on a wig.  You can find a pretty one for under $50.00 on many sites.   They will be synthetic, but that can be a good thing - easier to care for. 

www.beautytrends.com

www.paulayoung.com

www.twcwigs.com

I didn't have much money to spend on a wig and was schocked when I went on wigs.com and some other sites.   And not all insurances reimburse you, even with a RX.   Mine didn't.

lump/chemo/rads/hyster-ooph/mastectomy/implants

Aug 4, 2011 07:23AM - edited Aug 5, 2011 07:51AM by Flautalee

Hello, since this is my second time through treatment (the first was in 2000), I went ahead and cut my hair into a pixie cut like I had in 8th grade.  Has anyone seen a really short pixie cut wig?  My thought is that I (and friends) get used to the short hair before I need the wig and that my hair will regrow to the short length sooner than  the bob style that I've worn since 9th grade (LOL).

lee Dx 6/1/2000, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 6/9/2011, IDC, <1cm, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 24, 2011 04:47PM Amos wrote:

Wigs are fun! If you're going to lose, or have lost, your hair, have fun with it! I have 8 wildly different wigs and love them. My hair now is long enough to go without but still wear them some. And I just bought a new one today:-)

Dx 10/28/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 24, 2011 07:16PM ellenquilt wrote:

lorenar: My free Gaila hat just came today! Grey velvet. It' really pretty!

12 Weeks Taxol (switched week to Abraxane)+Herceptin, 5xweek for 5 weeks radiation after and then herceptin every 3 weeks for the rest of the year. Then the obligatory 5 years of Tamoxifen. Oy Vey! Dx 5/20/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Aug 28, 2011 10:07PM - edited Aug 28, 2011 10:07PM by Denise2730

This Post was deleted by Denise2730.
DMX 8/11/11 - TE's put in. Exchange date was December 16th. Hate them and had them redone by a different PS in June, 2012. They look so much better. Still waiting for nips & areolas. Dx 4/29/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 02:35PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Leah,
I just found this thread today. Although I am Jewish, I am not Orthodox, however I have told friends that soon, I will be wearing a sheitel. You have done a great mitzvah by giving so many women practical tips on wearing wigs. Hope you had a good New Year.
Caryn

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 4, 2011 02:57PM Leah_S wrote:

Caryn, thank you!

May you be inscribed for a good, sweet, HEALTHY year.

Leah

Oct 7, 2011 09:34AM maryk4 wrote:

So far, I haven't seen anyone with my particular problem.  My natural hair is short and very thin/fine.  healthy looking, but fine nevertheless.  My first experience with the wigs was awful, as  the amount of hair on them was three times what  I have on my own head!  Even the lightest ones had such thick hair, my face more or less disappeared under it.  Also, my head is on the small side.  Even the petite size was large.  Help!  Anyone with this particular situation out there?  I mean not everyone has movie star hair to begin with.  Don't these wig makers take that into consideration?

Oct 7, 2011 01:24PM Carrol2 wrote:

maryk4 I took my wigs to my hairdresser and he was able to thin them out to suit my face better. They looked very good in the end, but really I wore hats all the time and only wore my wigs a handful of times.

Oct 10, 2011 08:47AM maryk4 wrote:

Thanks, Carrol2.  I found the courage to try again on Saturday.  This time my daughter came with me and we went to a real salon.  I couldn't believe how wonderful and patient the stylist was, and I actually found one.  The color and style were perfect, so once I committed, she thinned it and styled it right then.  My daughter thought it looked so good, she encouraged me to wear it home.  Guess what?  My husband was talking to me about different things and he didn't even notice the wig!!! When I asked him what he thought, he said "About what?"  And I pointed to my head and he said "Did you go today?  Did you get anything?"  I guess that said it all.  One load off my mind. A small thing in the grand scheme of things, but important to me nevertheless. I will have my first chemo treatment tomorrow.  I am still nervous but I guess I'll get through it.

Oct 11, 2011 08:12AM Carrol2 wrote:

maryk4 I wish you an easy treatment. I am glad you found a wig you like. Keep your head up, think positive. Remember the chemo is temporary it will end. And never be afraid to call your oncology office with questions about any side affects no matter how small.

Oct 15, 2011 07:35PM Mardibra wrote:

So, I went for my first wig appointment today.  Pleasantly surprised. The salon has a private room in the back where the do the wig consultations.  They clearly do a big business in wigs at this place.  They have synthetic wigs, real hair wigs, and synthetic/real combo.  I opted for the 100% real hair.  It looked and felt the best.  But, expensive!  The cost includes the color and cut they will do to exactly match my current hair.  I was surprised how good they looked!  If im going to be bald, im going to rock a great wig!  I will pay anything to not look like a cancer patient.

IDC and DCIS. Lumpectomy/AND 10/21/11. Chemo 12/1 - 3/15. UMX 4/13/2012. Rads completed 7/3/12. DIEP reconstruction to begin Jan 2013. Dx 8/31/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 7/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 15, 2011 08:20PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Congrats on your wig purchase. I got mine a few days ago but opted for synthetic as I know I will not be motivated to care for human hair, or pay for it. It still looks pretty darn good and most people would be hard put to tell it is a wig. Also got a halo (fall) to wear with hats and scarves. Not looking forward to being bald but I hope to have a bit of fun with it! Caryn

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 15, 2011 08:54PM Mardibra wrote:

ya, the cost was a bit shocking but we all end up with what we are comfortable with.  Im thinking i should buy a pink or blue or green synthetic for fun.  Why not?  I will cross that bridge once hairless.  Never in a million years thought i would end up buying a wig.  BC sucks.

IDC and DCIS. Lumpectomy/AND 10/21/11. Chemo 12/1 - 3/15. UMX 4/13/2012. Rads completed 7/3/12. DIEP reconstruction to begin Jan 2013. Dx 8/31/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 7/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 12, 2011 10:07AM RachelsLife wrote:

I went wig shopping for the first time this weekend - decided to take my 3 older kids (aged 8, 7, and 5) to make the wig wearing seem more "normal" and to get their opinions - my 5 yr old picked out a wig that looks just like my natural color, but my 8 and 7 yr old daughters begged me to get the bright blue one they had displayed :) I did try it on - and while I opted not to pay hundreds for a bright blue wig, I went on-line and found a colorful wig for $9.99.... I will wear it for special occassions! I agree that if we have to deal with baldness, we might as well do it with humor :)

Dx 10/27/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 8/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/30/2016, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 9/1/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Page 3 of 4 (107 results)