Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Eyelashes falling out a second time?

sweetbean
sweetbean Member Posts: 433

*sigh*  so my eyelashes are falling out again.  I am a little over 5 months PFC.  The lashes on my right eye fell out a lot more, although I can see that they are already growing back in.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How many times did your eyelashes fall out? I was just starting to look semi-normal.  *sigh*

Comments

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze Member Posts: 250
    edited September 2011

Sorry.  They fall out like this because of their growing cycle.  It should stop after this.  You might try latisse if it doesn't!

• AnnetteS
    AnnetteS Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2011

I have heard that this is very normal, although I have not experienced it. I lost my eyelashes at the very end of chemo, but kept my eyebrows.  But then, my eyebrows all fell out 4 1/2 months PFC

• jdeking
    jdeking Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2011

I am over 2 years out from last chemo, and noticed about a month ago that my eyebrows and bottom lashes are gone again *big sigh*. I have super blonde brows and lashes, so it takes awhile to notice that they've gone. I think my situation might be due to some thyroid issues that I am having, so take heart, I don't think this is likely for you! Initially I think I only lost them twice.

• sundermom
    sundermom Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2011

I'm almost 5 months PFC and have noticed that my eyelashes are starting to thin again, too. I had lost all eyelashes and most of my eyebrows by the end of chemo. I really don't want to experience that again!

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2011

Hi all - what's PFC stand for?  Do you mind telling me what chemo you had?  I've heard of eyelashes/eyebrows falling out post chemo for taxol/taxotere, but not AC and I had AC.  Curious if mine will fall out.  thanks!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited September 2011

Yup it happened to me too. Once 5 weeks after chemo. Then again in April. They grew back but not as thick this second time. It could be thin because of the AI but I won't know for sure for a while. It might be that more fell out as the other grew in. My onc says this can go on for a bit. Like others have said the growing cycle of the hairs needs to get out of sinc again.

Anastasia Brow Powder Duo is  great to fill in the brows. Looks very natural. I have all the gals on the Illinios Ladies thread using it. They love it.

I also still have the light hair growth all over my face and neck from chemo. My onc says that will eventually go away too. It's been 7+ months PFC. I'm trying to be patient. Thank goodness the hairs are light and people don't notice.

• sweetbean
    edited September 2011

hi there,

bcisnofun, i had ACT and am now on Herceptin.  Having the eyelashes thin multiple times is definitely a bummer.  they grew in so nice and thick the first time -i'm going to give it a month and then I might try something like Latisse.  Right now, I'm just using a little castor oil. 

• tninalabama
    tninalabama Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2011

I am using false eyelashes this time. It took a few times to get them easily handled, but there is a difference. Just like using an eyebrow pencil really helps making me feel more normal looking.

Pam 

• DiDel
    DiDel Member Posts: 733
    edited September 2011

Sweetbean Yes this should be the last time..My PS didnt recommend Latisse because once you stop using it your lashes fall out again. I am one year PFC and my lashes are finally really filling in like crazy now. It did take a while to get them going but ny PS said to just be patient that it could take up to 2 years to be completely back to normal. I am happy where they are now but look forward to one more year of growth.

I like Lago still use the Anastasia brow kit. it is pricey but last a long time and great!! Even in hot humid weather they stay on!!

Good luck and hang in there

Diane

• starbeauty
    starbeauty Member Posts: 106
    edited September 2011

sweetbean... been a year and a half since chemo ended... have lost my eyelashes 4 times - but with each successive time I had a few still hanging on after the majority were gone - so they are finally staggered in their cycle and they just look "thinner" now vs. all gone.  It REALLY bothered me... I think because it makes me look odd and sick again.  Sorry you are experiencing it.

• sweetbean
    edited September 2011

Aaargh!  Four times?  That stinks - I'm so sorry!   I hope this is the last time they thin - I hear that it is different for different people.  Ugh. Cancer.  It's just not that awesome.

• lisamed123
    lisamed123 Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2011

I am three years out and I find my lashes still "thin" somethimes.  Seems to be some sort of cycle.  Eyeliner became my best friend during chemo and I still love it.  I like the Bobbi Brown gel, but pick what you like and practice and done properly, it will be your best friend.  For brows, I liked Benefit's brow zings.  It is a wax and powder.  My brows are very thick and people had no idea that at one point, I had about 6 eyebrow hairs.

• Priscilla0929
    Priscilla0929 Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2011

The eyelashes of my left eye are almost gone - I try not to rub my eyes because I always find one in my fingers. I hope my eyebrows don't fall out completely-they are pretty thin

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited September 2011

Huh, actually, this is giving me hope.  My eyelashes and brows are still a mess one year PFC (actually, September 14, my 40th b-day, was my last chemo).  Maybe they will still bounce back!

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2011

Eventually, your eyelashes and brows will somewhat randomized their growth cycle so that you won't be losing all of them at the same time.  I had herceptin for a year so that may have slowed down my process a bit.

About four years out from AC (3 years herceptin), I noticed my eyelashes and brows seem to be back to their old thick , long selves and don't fall out at the same time.

• sweetbean
    edited September 2011

I take a q-tip and dip it in castor oil.  Then I run the q-tip along my lash line and on my lashes.  Castor oil is an old grandma trick, but I think it is  helping.  :)

• citykitty
    citykitty Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2011

Sweetbean, I too am experiencing just what you described!  I'm 6 months out from chemo.  In the past couple of weeks I've lost so many lashes that using mascara is seeming somewhat futile.  This thread is very encouraging.  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, and that there may yet be hope for my poor lashes!  Thanks, everyone, for posting!

• sweetbean
    edited September 2011

Citykitty, we  are on the same timeline - I finished ACT on March 22.  (Started Herceptin on May 26th.)  So we must be having a similar experience.  My eyelashes are growing back, but s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y.  I think it's the Herceptin.

• KSteve
    KSteve Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2011

So I am on the third time of losing my lashes (finished chemo 12/30/10). At least this time the little short ones were there by the time my last long ones were gone. Easier to take this time but still ticked me off! Such a journey we are on! Compared to where I was a year ago, I'll take this problem!

Kathy

• dorothym
    dorothym Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2011

I lost mine about 6 weeks PFC, they grew in beautifully and then about a month later gone again - but came back.  It was wierd.  They started falling out slowly from the inner eye to the outer - by the time the outer lashes fell out, the inner one were growing in again.

• allilab13
    allilab13 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2019

Me too. My eyelashes and eyebrows somehow survived the A/C regimen, but fell out about 1/4 of the way through Taxol. Now they’re all falling out again. It’s so frustrating.

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2019

Hi, all, Eyelashes, and brows, will fall out and grow back numerous times. It happened to me too at least 4 times, lost all my lashes, all grew back. Finally they stabilize. What happens is that lashes have a growth cycle, a dormant cycle, then a fallout cycle. Usually every lash in in a different cycle, so they don't all fall out together. But chemo disrupts the cycle, then at first they are all in the same cycle together, growing in, and resting, then falling out! Eventually they all get in different phases, and you will be back with a full set of lashes, but took me about 1 year! Brows too, at least for me! Good luck😍

• TiffanyThornton
    TiffanyThornton Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2020

I have been using Dermalmd eyelash grower serum for approximately 2 months. I started out out with very short eyelashes that would fall out. I now have eyelashes which are over half of an inch lengthy. They are also thicker. I apply it every night before bed just to the base of my eyelashes on the upper lids. I'm amazed at how properly Dermalmd Lash Serum works. I am 64 and I've beautiful lashes that appearance splendid with only a little mascara. Just be patient and before you know lashes galore. Well worth the high price tag and there is plenty of product to last. I have just ordered my second bottle.