Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Melrosemelrose
Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607

This thread is for the new sisters starting the Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo regimen in February and March 2013 so they can easily find each other. Hopefully each of you will find that support and comraderie as well as share practical tips and experiences to help you get through the chemo rounds. Please post your chemo start date and number of chemo rounds. Wishing each of you the best of luck and minimal side effects.

(edited to add: I have completed my chemo so this thread is for others, not me. I started this thread at the request of someone who will be starting chemo in March 2013)

******EDITED ON SEPTEMBER 28, 2018 ----YES!!!!!! THIS THREAD IS STILL ACTIVE AND WELCOMES ALL!!!!

*****EDITED ON MARCH 13, 2017 ----YES!!!!! THIS THREAD IS STILL ACTIVE AND WELCOMES EVERYONE!!!!!

****EDITED ON FEBRUARY 15, 2016 ----YES!!!!! THIS THREAD IS STILL ACTIVE AND WELCOMES EVERYONE!!!!!

***EDITED ON FEBRUARY 24, 2015--- YES!!!!! THIS THREAD IS STILL ACTIVE AND WELCOMES ANYONE NO MATTER WHEN YOU START YOUR CHEMO!!!

** EDITED ON MAY 16, 2014- YES!!!!! THIS THREAD IS STILL ACTIVE AND WELCOMES ANYONE WHO IS HAVING CYTOXAN/TAXOTERE CHEMO REGIMEN.

*EDITED ON APRIL 26, 2013- THIS THREAD WELCOMES ANYONE WHO IS HAVING CYTOXAN/TAXOTERE CHEMO REGIMEN NO MATTER WHEN YOU START YOUR CHEMO.

Chemo 4/24/2012Taxotere/Cytoxan X 6 & Herceptin B-47 clinical trial:4/24.5/15.6/5/,6/26,7/17.8/7. DX 2/17/2012 Encapsulated DCIS 4cm/IDC 2cm, ER+/PR-/HER2- (+1), Stage IIb, Grade 3,0/5 Nodes
Surgery 02/15/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 03/14/2012 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 04/24/2012 Cytoxan, TaxotereTargeted Therapy 04/24/2012 HerceptinHormonal Therapy 09/06/2012 Tamoxifen

Comments

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited February 2013

Melrose, thanks so much for helping us newbies connect! I hope to see some others who are just getting started with Cytoxan & Taxotere Chemo join me here. I will have my Mediport put in on March 1 and first chemo treatment on March 7.

• anniebell
    anniebell Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2013

Just dropping by to give you words of support and reassurance.  I'm from the December 2011 T/C group.  That thread was my lifeline through chemo and the friendships that developed from it have been priceless. Wishing all who find there way here, the best as you start your journey.  There will be good days, and some, not so good.  You will get through it and find strength in yourself that you didn't know existed.

• AnnieLane
    edited February 2013

Thanks, AnnieBell. It's so encouraging to hear from women who've been through this and come out on the other side!

• Melrosemelrose
    edited February 2013

Bump for the Cytoxan and Taxotere Newbies!!!

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited February 2013

Hello Fellow Newbies.  Today is the big day!  "I'm Off to See the Wiazrd" for my first T/C infusion.  Yippie !  

Anniebell - thanks for your kind words and encouragement

Melrose - I DID finally find the thread and thanks again for starting it.

All - May you all find Peace, Luv and Blessings as you start your T/C journey.  I'll keep you posted (pun intended)!

Carolyn

• AnnieLane
    edited February 2013

Carolyn, you've been in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes as well as it possibly can for you today and afterward.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited February 2013

Welcome Newbies:  Glad you have found this thread.  If you need some practical info about this chemo regimen, let me know.  I'll try to help you find the info you are searching for. fBTW:  i did not do the penguin cold caps but there is great info in the Chemo Discussion forum and other places.... just type in the search "cold caps".  Plenty of gals have used them.   HUGS to each of you!!!

• AnnieLane
    edited February 2013

Thanks again, Melrose. I don't plan to try the cold caps. It would be wonderful to keep my hair, but it sounds pretty cost prohibitive for me, not to mention extremely uncomfortable. My indulgence for the sake of my vanity was to get permanent upper eyeliner and eyebrows done. I will probably try icing my hands and feet to try to prevent neuropathy. I can't imagine freezing my head at the same time Surprised Did you have much of a problem with neuropathy?

• Melrosemelrose
    edited February 2013

While I was still in chemoland, I did have a little neuropathy... like my fingers may get stuck in one position after using them ( stirring with a big spoon; using pliers/tools).  When they did get stuck I would carefully move them so they wouldn't stay in that one position.  Before I had chemo, I used to massage my hands and feet but stopped doing that when I started chemo.  I did not want to accidently break any capillaries in my hands or feet when I massaged them since one can develop hand/foot syndrome with chemo. ( the chemo breaks through the blood capillaries and it can be very painful.)  I always made an effort to keep flexing my feet, toes, hands and fingers everyday.  While on chemo, my feet hurt but I think it was bone pain and joint pain.  (I'm not a young chickadee.)  However within a month or two of being PFC, the aches and pains and neuropathy diminished.  The icing may have helped the nails as well as the neuropathy.  If you do get neuropathy, there are supplements you can take to help.  I don't recall those off hand but I'll look for them and let you know.

• AnnieLane
    edited February 2013

You are so helpful, thanks! I'm not a young chickadee either - 57. I'm hoping to be able to work as much as possible, but that requires using the computer keyboard and mouse all day.

• cmbernardi
    edited February 2013

Hello All,

My first chemo infusion on Wednesday took a very long time but I am fine and really no worse for the wear, thank God.  My schedule will be 1  - four hour treatment, 1 treatment the next day for white cell boosting, 1 visit with the Oncologist the next week for lab checks and questions and if all goes well with my white and red blood cells, platelets, etc.,  I will have my next treatment in 2 weeks.   Then after a 3 week break in the fun, the process will start over again in an identical manner for 3 more treatments and I will be done.  So, it is much better than I thought as far as the length of time goes and now it seems that things will be over and done with as far as the chemotherapy goes in approximately 4 months total barring any blood count problems. They did warn us at the chemo class that I will feel pretty good for up to 8 days after the infusion and then if I am to experience any side effects, they will kick in at about the 8-10 day time period after the infusions.  I suspect my side effects will mainly be related to the nausea and severe reflux disease that I have had for over 20 years but I am very hopeful that they will be manageable with more medication of course (YUCK).  Although it was originally thought I did not need the chemo, the large size of the tumor (3.2cm), the fact that I cannot tolerate the Tamoxifen at all and my strong family history pushed me into a gray area so I decided that 4 infusions of a "chemo-lite" course of drugs would probably be the only way I would not have to hear this cancer word again in my lifetime.  Of course radiation will still be needed and will start after the chemotherapy.  Yippie! 

As mentioned it was a very long day that ended for me and my Sister looking for wigs and having no luck because I have a very BIG head.  Funny, huh?  I will forge ahead tomorrow on that front as my hair will start to fall out about 2 - 3 weeks after this first treatment.   So, a new project!

Other than that, I am walking the dog and lifting weights as much as possible to keep up my strength and stamina and drinking tons of water and fluids.  A daily staple is my healthy diet is Activia yogurt, fruit and veggies, all forms of protein and my Kefir probiotic drink plus Ginger Capsules and crystallized Ginger to ward off the nausea.  I am hoping to start taking a free yoga class for breast cancer patients and survivors very soon too.  I have worked as a Registered Dietitian for over 20 years so if anyone out there needs any suggestions or has suggestions on food choices I would be happy to share.

I hope this journey for me and all of you is lined with peace, love and blessings daily.

Fondly,

Carolyn

• cmbernardi
    edited February 2013

Hello again Folks:

Has anyone tried probiotics for the gut?  I have severe GERD (massive heartburn) that just kicked up again today after my first chemo (T/C) treatment.  The RN told me it was because of the steroids used in the cocktail.  I've read many differing opinions on using probiotics for GERD and some are not so good.  If any of my fellow warriors have insights to help with this persistent problem, I would surely appreciate knowing about it.  Thanks in advance.  Peace! 

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013

Carolyn, I am so glad to hear from you and to know that you are doing so well so far. Walking the dog is part of my daily routine too. Lifting weights? You inspire me.

And I'm excited to hear that you are an registered dietician. I'll look forward to hearing anything you have to say about food and nutrition during chemo. I've been experimenting with smoothies and pureed bean and veggie soups, but who knows what I'll have a taste or aversion for?

Your diagnosis and decision to go ahead with chemo sound so similar to mine. I got a private message today from a well meaning lady on this site questioning whether I really need chemo. Arrrggghhhh! Pulease! The decision was agonizing enough, but it's made and I have my port put in tomorrow. This is not the time. All I know is that if this cancer comes back some day, I don't want to look back and regret not having done all I could to fight it now.

Anyway, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,

Gail

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013

Hi Gail,

I have been having an Egg in a Mug breakfast 2-3 times per week.  It is a fun, easy way to microwave an egg or two.  Be sure to spray the mug with cooking spray or lightly oil or butter the inside if you prefer.  Next take 1 or 2 eggs and scramble them right in the mug with a little milk or water.  Today I added a small handful (1/2 handful really) of shredded cheese and some fresh spinach and put the whole concoction in the microwave for 45 seconds.  Remove the mug and stir the mixture and put back in the microwave for 15 more seconds or until the egg is fully cooked.  Let cool for 1 minute and enjoy!  Remember to lubricate the mug as mentioned above though or you will never get the remnants out again.  Substitute 2 egg whites for 1 whole egg if you would prefer no fat and less calories.  Also use any ingredients that you have on hand to flavor the egg mixture.  I just love cheese and spinach.

Keep strong and do not fret about your upcoming chemo venture.  My MO suggested that I take Ginger Capsules (500mg) twice daily for 3 days before and 3 days after the infusion and it seems to keep the nausea away nicely.  I purchased them at Walmart in the Vitamin section.  Also, when you get the shot the day after chemo to aid in the white blood cell production, take a Claritan or Zyrtec 1 day before, the day of and for 3 days after the shot. (again, I buy the generic version of Zyrtec at Walmart for a cost savings).  I was told to do that today AFTER I got my shot and broke out into hives and a rash 30 minutes later.  A little scary when I looked in the mirror but all is well tonight. 

Thanks for your thoughtfulness and for checking in with me.  Peace and blessings to you today and always.

• melody46
    melody46 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2013

Gailann I too am taking the treatment just to have the peace of mind I did everything I could to wipe this out.  It was sooo hard to make the decision.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013

Hi Melody, it's good to have you join us here. Smile So you started chemo Feb. 20? I'm sure Carolyn and I will both want to hear how it's going for you, since you're about a week ahead of her and she's a week ahead of me.

I had my Mediport placed early this morning and it went well. Friends of mine who've had chemo tell me that in the coming months, I'll be very thankful for that foreign object under my skin. I came home, had a nap, some lunch and coffee and plan to work 3-7 PM, which is the second half of my work day. I'm blessed to be a telecommuter, so I can work from home most of the time. I don't like taking Hydrocodone, so I'm getting by with extra strength Tylenol. Trying to save the paid sick leave for when I really feel crummy farther down the road.

Carolyn, I'll have to try doing an egg that way. I like frittatas with lots of veggies. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013

Here is a book that I was given before I started chemo which was helpful with the eating;

Eating Well Through Cancer by Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello, MD - this book has chapters on what to eat when you have certain side effects and what to eat the day leading up to chemo and recipes, shopping lists and tips.  It was good to have a book right there that I could just pick up and look at and not have to think of where to find food information.

Another book that I have is the Cancer Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz.  The recipes are pretty good and the pictures are great.  I remember there were times that I didn't want to eat but knew I needed to and looking at pictures of food in recipe books and magazines help stimulate my desire to eat.

Also if you have favorite foods and you want them to stay favorite foods after you finish the chemo, try not to eat them during your time in chemoland.  Since one's tsste buds go on vacation after the chemo infusion, those favorite foods may not taste so wonderful.

Have a great weekend......

• 122012bc
    122012bc Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013

I am due to start CT on March 13. They are saying 4 treatments at 3 week intervals. That seems short. And they said nothing about a port. I'm wondering if I should seek a second opinion.

• melody46
    melody46 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2013

Hi GailAnn, I've been really lucky with few side effects, today at day 10 has been a very lazy day for me I'm really tired which is new.  I had to have a ct of my chest today because of chest pains and a little shortness of breath but it came back fine.  

I have opted not to get a port since I didn't have one in for the first treatment and I only have 3 to go.  If I need to I'll get a pic line because my vein isn't very happy. 

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013

Melrose, I will try to get my hands on those books. Hey, maybe the key to post chemo lifelong weight control is to eat all my "naughty foods" during chemo, so maybe I could develop an aversion to them. Wink

Melody your regimen sounds just like mine except that the oncologist thinks I should have two more cycles if I tolerate the first four ok. It's encouraging to hear that you're doing so well.

• LW122713
    LW122713 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013

Hi all. I just found this thread. I too qualify to be a member of this elite group of ladies. I am on day 8 post treatment. I had the Neulsta shot the day after my first chemo treatment and it was rough going last Saturday night through Tuesday but came through and made it it the other side. I'm also trying to work full time through this but missed 2 days so far, 1 for treatment and the other was for pain. Before this diagnosis I was working 50-60 hrs a week. That will definately not happen again for a while! I was also initially told 4 treatments but then was told if I can tolerate 4 then I need to do 6. So I guess I am 1/6 of the way through this rough ride now.

It was definately a hard decision to make to agree to this. I too was in the "intermediate" area. Stage 2, Grade 2, onocoscore of 20. The deciding factor for me came when I got the final pathology back and found that there was a 4mm mass in the lymph node that hadnt been previously detected. The MO left it up to me and you all are right, the decision was excruciatingly painful to make but here we all are.

I've got a wig, a halo wig and a couple of hats for the big event is supposed to happen next week. The waiting on the hair to come out is a little unnerving for me...not knowing when and where I'll be or how I will react. I can already feel what can be described as something similar to having hot needles prickling my scalp and some itching. So now we wait...I'm hoping for strength to get through the hair loss part.

Hoping to have a good, SE free weekend for all of us!

• Lolalou
    Lolalou Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013

Hello Ladies, glad to find a group for all of us doing the same treatments. I have a similar story to all of you. My onco dx was 17 which put me right at the edge. My MO recommended chemo due to my age (40) and size of my tumor (3 cm). 

I'm starting on the 14th and get my port next week. I didn't think too much about whether or not to do the chemo. I decided from the beginning that I'd do everything I needed to, to give myself the best chances for no recurrence. I'm glad to have you all to go through this journey with. Laughing

GailAnn - it looks like we have the same Dx & surgery. 

I've talked alot with the ladies from January/February and they have been so great. I'm also in a group on Facebook with many of them. I was so nervous to start this but reading what they have to say daily has really made me feel more confident about this being do-able. The boards and that FB group have been so fantastic. Good to know we're all here for each other!

• Lolalou
    Lolalou Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013

GailAnn it looks like we have the same Dx & surgery.

• Starynights
    Starynights Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2013

Well this is a train I thought I wasnt going to be jumpin on last week ! Thanks to the Symphony tests showing that I have a high rate for reoccurance here I am. 30% RO without chemo 12% with. Not too happy about either one of those stinkin numbers ! Have my first treatment on March 8. More afraid of the immune system booster than the chemo ! 

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013

GailAnn- You are too funny!!!  Love how you thought a way to stop eating favorite high calorie food post-chemo!!! Tongue Out

LW122713- I know that dealing with the hair loss is not easy for anyone.  Fortunately, you will not wake up one morning and find that all of your hair has fallen out and is laying on your pillow.  It starts to come out a little and then over the next few days the fall out increases.  I can tell you that the hair falling out everywhere is annoying more than anything else.  I know the moment I realized my hair was really going.  It was when I was in the shower and ran my hand through my hair.  There was a little more hair than usual.  I knew then it was going and I had a choice.  I could either have a meltdown in the shower or recognize the situation for what it was and clean my hair from the drain.  I chose to do the later.  I also opted not to get in front of mirrors and look at myself.  I knew that if I did that, it would only upset me more.  I didn't shave/buzz my head when the hair did start coming out.  I just left it alone since I wanted to see how much would stay.  It was my own personal science experiement.  To my surprise, it didn't all fall out.  After 6 rounds of chemo, I still had a very thin veil of hair.  As my new hair grew in, my pre-chemo hair did finally fall out.  I had a wig but never wore it.  I wore baseball caps, bandanas, Buffs, hats or nothing.    You will find your way through the hair part of your time in chemoland and works best for you.  You see, there is no right way or wrong way; only your way and on your terms.  Always remember that you are beautiful because your inner strength will come shining through.

Wishing the best to all !!!!

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013

@122010bc,

Hello

I am having 4 T/C treatments  with 3 week breaks myself and took my first one last Wednesday.  I opted to NOT get the port either and it worked out fine.  3 more to go and I'm sure my veins will hold up.  Best of luck to you.  I'll send more info. when I have it.  Do ask your doctor about Ginger capsules tho and taking an antihistamine before you get your WBC shot.  I took the Ginger Caps (500 mg) twice daily for 3 days before and 3 days after my T/C and it helped keep the nausea manageable.  Also I had an allergic reaction (hives and itching) after my WBC shot the day after my treatment because  they forgot to tell me to take Claritan the day before, the day of and for 3 days after the shot.  I use the generic form of Zyrtec (same as Claritan) and buy it and the Ginger caps from Walmart for cost savings.

Best of luck and prayers and hugs coming your way from Texas!

Carolyn

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013

cmbernardi- FYI- the chemical contained in Claritin and Alevert is Loratadine.  I'm not sure that Zyrtec contains the same chemical as the same as Claritin. There is an ongoing clinical trial to see if Loratadine helps with the bone pain from the Neulasta shot/Neupogen shots.  Not everyone including oncos and infusion staffs know about this use of Claritin to help with the bone pain.  You may want to let the infusion staff know at your next infusion that you had the hives and itching after your first chemo and Neulasta shot.   

• wrh58
    wrh58 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013

Hello I am having 4 TC treatments every 3 weeks started March 8 The Doctor told me I didn't need a port I hope she is right. Glad to see others going thru the same as me I was thinking I was alone.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013

Melrose, thanks for the tip about the Claritin vs Zyrtec. I used Costco brand Zyrtec (Allertec) for allergies, but I think I'll get some store brand Claritin to take before my first infusion and Neulasta shot just in case it does have an edge over Zyrtec.

It's interesting to hear that you experimented to see if your hair would ALL fall out. Maybe I'll try that too. Everybody else has said to just buzz it off when it starts falling out. My hair is super thick and I've cut it shorter than I usually wear it, hmmm, I wonder if I might keep some of it. Time will tell. I have bought some Buffs and some hats from www.softhats.com, I just can't imagine wearing a wig, although one of my dear friends has actually offered to cut off her longish hair if we could find out how to get a wig made for me. Sweet thought but it "wigs me out" a little Laughing

Carolyn, I'm going to get some of those ginger caps for sure.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013

GailAnn- You may want to keep taking the Zyrtec to see if that takes care of the bone pain.  It just may.   I did get a wig through the American Cancer Society Look Good Feel Good program.  They have make up session and will give you a free makeup bag and also you can get a free wig.  As for my hair after chemo, I did notice that the hair around my hairline stayed the longest.  So when I wore caps/hats, it looked like I just had short short hair.  You may also find yourself rubbing your head more often and touching what pre-chemo hair stays.  I found it rather comforting for some reason to feel what little hair I had left and to touch my head.  One other thing I did for myself was not to stare at myself in mirrors.  I knew it was one way to protect myself from getting upset about my changed appearance. 

You can also get ginger candy/bites at Walgreens and Whole Foods.  I also drank ginger ale for a few days after my chemos.  The bubbles seem to make my tummy feel better.  One of my side effects from chemo was burping (and I mean burping like a drunk sailor.)  In fact, that was probably one of the worst side effects I had.