Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FEC-D regime

Options
Amazonwarrior
Amazonwarrior Member Posts: 140

If you are currently undergoing or have already undergone FEC-D treatment you are in the right place! I hope that you can find in this group the right information, support and friendship during this difficult time. Who wants to get started?

Comments

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited November 2013
    Options

hi Amazonwarrior1, I had your regiment but unfortunately can't answer about the flu shot. I started the end of jan and don't normally get the flu shot. I did get neulasta shots the day after chemo and was fortunate enough not to have gotten ill from my tx. I found the FEC very easy to tolerate and took everyone's advice about taking the nausea meds whether I felt I needed it or not. My MO told me if I feel nauseated that I should tell her right away as it meant she wasn't doing her job! Never had to and actually asked her if she was sure I got chemo after the first one! As tx went on I found myself getting tired and took 3 days off work each time.

Unfortunately the docetaxol part was very hard on me. Please remember, everyone reacts differently and many find the D part easier.

I see your going for a picc line. I had that as well and once the procedure was done, I was grateful for it as it made each chemo easy. My chemo nurse gave me two rubber tourniquet bands and I sewed velcro on each end-this was used to secure around a freezer Baggie top and bottom to keep dry. I found this easy to manage on my own and developed a method of holding one end down with my chin as I wrapped the band around the bag on my arm. I don't know if your a suck like me, but I got myself all worked up (and then some) after hearing the procedure-I really should have asked for Ativan but didn't realize that I could have. As a result, I laid on the table trying to do deep breathing and relaxation imagery-but failed miserably with tears streaming down my face. I only tell you this so you can ask for something to relax you now, if your the type who may need it. I learned my lesson and was prepared with Ativan for my snb dye injection.

Many find they prefer bland food while going through chemo. I heard anything white was favourable, but I was the opposite and craved spicy food-I guess just so I could taste something! I did put on quite a bit of weight from the steroids and have managed to loose most of it. Now is not the time to worry about weight. Be kind to yourself!

As far as eyebrows, I was the same. I loved my eyebrows and was more upset about loosing them than my hair. I got pretty good at drawing them in and used a cream eyeliner to help with the lack of lashes.

If I can answer anything else, let me know. My positive thoughts are with you. You will do fine!

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited November 2013
    Options

you must be Canadian or Australian - very common protocol for us

I had FEC-D - I found the FEC to be way worse due to the nausea - I took everything they gave me and still felt horrible sick to my stomach. It knocked me out for close to 7 days. Around day 8 the cloud would lift and I could eat pretty normally (other than hot or spicy foods due to mouth sores). Just make sure you drink A LOT of water, rinse your mouth often with baking soda (helps with the mouth sores since chemo attacks lining of the mouth)

with the D - Docetaxol I had bone pain but it was tolerable. I found this to be way easier because my stomach finally felt good and I was able to eat again.

I don't remember having the flu shot but it was recommended that everyone in my family have one so they didn't bring anything home. I went through chemo during the flu months (sept-dec) and didn't get sick once

• Amazonwarrior
    edited September 2014
    Options

(The upper section of this post was initially a part of my post on this thread). 

I am supposed to start with FEC-D regime (3x FEC and 3x D every 3 weeks) this coming Friday. I feel rather nervous as I don't know how my body is going to react to it. I have a muga heart scan tomorrow and on Thursday I am scheduled for PICC insertion.

Lately I have been looking into ways how to preserve my eyebrows. I gave up on my hair since I hate the cold and would not tolerate the penguin cold cap well.

I also wanted to ask about the flu shot. Has anyone done that? My oncologist did not suggest it and I usually don't get one anyway. I already might have missed my window of opportunity...

Any ideas?

Hi rozem, thanks for the tip about the flu shot. I'll talk to my hubby about it. Him and my son just went through a mean cold so I hope they would have to wait first to recover to get immunized.

I guess this regime is used in the two countries that you mentioned as well as in Europe.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi slv58, The nurse that I talked to about the PICC said that the drugstore also has a PICC protector, so I'm going to give it a try.

• Oncearunneralwaysarunner
    Oncearunneralwaysarunner Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi Amazonwarrior1,

Hope your first FEC treatment is treating you well. I finished my FEC-D treatments on October 31 and I'm glad that the major side effects are almost gone. Keep in mind that everyone reacts to chemo differently but here is what I experienced.

I found the FEC part worst than the D. The main reason for that was the nausea and the fog that came with FEC. While the meds prevented me from vomiting, I felt queasy. Make sure to mention any nausea to your oncologist, they will adjust the meds. I did get some body aches with the D but no nausea and while I had fatigue it wasn't as bad as with FEC.

I had to learn to draw my brows but I only started losing them when I started the D. I lost my hair with FEC and it very slowly started to come back with D. I found that using a powder brow corrector worked better than a pencil since I still have some brows left. The pencil clumped up in what little I have left in my brows and looked bad. The cosmetic counter might be a good place to start for help on doing your brows.

As for the flu shot, my oncologist recommended that I wait until my immune system gets stronger before getting it. I might not get the full benefit of the shot if I have a low immune system. Check with your oncologist for a recommendation.

Hope this helps.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi, thanks so much for your comments!

FEC -D is turning out to be an Ontario topic!

I am on my day 5 with a little nausea and some numbness in 3 of my fingers. It's getting better now, but yesterday it sure felt like a frostbite. Winter's coming, eh?

Anybody had similar?

• Oncearunneralwaysarunner
    Oncearunneralwaysarunner Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2013
    Options

I have a bit of tingling in my hands and feet that come and goes. It got a little worst with the D but nothing too bad. It's not painful, just a different feeling. When I mentioned it to my oncologist, he told me to let him know if it got any worst. Luckily it hasn't gotten any worst and I'm done chemo now.

If you live in Canada, and I suspect you might by mentioning that FEC-D is an Ontario topic, have a look at the Look Good Feel Better workshops. They are free to attend for cancer patients and teach you make up tips for when you are going through treatment. That's where I learned how draw on my brows. It was a nice afternoon of pampering even if you are comfortable with make up.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

I had a strange scalp pain last night...is the hair loss already starting on my day 7 ?

I don't have a wig yet, and getting a bit panicky.

Where did you get yours?

Web sites?

Stores?

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited November 2013
    Options

AmazonW, sounds like you may need the wig a bit sooner-everyone is different. I had the scalp tingling/stinging for about a week before clumps of hair started coming out. I had a friend buzz cut my long hair right after my first chemo to help me emotionally. I was going to be the cause of my hair loss, not C! It was a way for me to gain some control. When I started loosing hair, I vacuumed my head! It's amazing how much that helped, and I wasn't forced to see hair everywhere ;-) I think I did that 3 or 4 times over a couple of days and it was done.

As far as a wig, I got mine from the hospital. They had a wig shop there and was able to pick one that looked very similar to my own style. But I HATED it lol. As soon as I had a bit if fuzz grow back after chemo, I went without anything, but by then I was very comfortable with my new altered looks. It was very empowering to loose the "coverups" I know a lot of women wouldn't do it, but I figured that while I was doing rads, I was basically just going to the hospital and that is a very good place to try it out.

The numbness is pretty normal, but please let your mo know. I took vitamin B6 and l glutamine to help with neuropathy -with my mo's blessing. I still take those as I have residual neuropathy but it isn't too bad.

Good luck with the rest of your tx, thinking positive thoughts for you.

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2013
    Options

If you need a wig for work, go for it. But the best head covering i found was a bunch of good old wool berets - they look funky, come in lots of colours and at this time of year look exactly like the right thing for anybody to wear.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

flannelette: I actually have tones of berets, mind you, they are from WW2, since my hubby is into re-enactment from that time period. I'll definitely give them a try.

• lorreymom
    lorreymom Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2013
    Options

i had my first FEC yesterday (no D for me...I get P later). I went for acupuncture the day before. Took my anti-nausea meds 1 hour prior. Last night I was fairly nauseous. Felt like a bad hangover. Took my stemitel as needed. Today, i feel much better. Had my Neulasta injection today. This is definitely do-able so far. They gave me a cherry popsicle to suck on with the F-injection. Haven't had a cherry popsicle in years..BONUS!! :)

Hairloss doesn't worry me. I bought a bunch of funky scarves & hats and plan to have fun with it. I am going to go to the Look Good Feel Better Workshop. Sounds like a fun girly thing to do!

I did my flu shot over 1 month ago, before sugery even. My family all go theirs about 1 week before I started my chemo.

• warrior50
    warrior50 Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2013
    Options

amazonwarrior ans Lorrreymom- glad to hear you are doing OK on FEC. I don't start until the day after Christmas because I have to finish the last 4 weekly Taxol first.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

I finally got my haircut today (a pixie cut). My son seemed to like it. However, when he was feeling the back of my head he started to giggle. I guess he found the feel of my hair a bit strange.

My husband said that I look 'lovely'. Then he added later that I look like a pigeon. So perhaps, I look now like a 'lovely pigeon'! Happy

• flannelette
    edited November 2013
    Options

At this time of year you can almost look funky in a beret, hoop earrings, lipstick and no hair. I swear, one time in the waiting room for my chemo, I was dressed like that & the guy next to me offered me gum, chatted a bit - seemed like a bit of a come-on - then my husband 6'2" came walking in. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Loopy I remember those popsicles well.

I was at Kingston. they were sooooo nice there! Never even heard of neulasta in 2008...........

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

Does anyone here take any supplements / vitamins while on CT?

I am currently taking vitamin D, B6, B12, Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium as well as Acidophilus.

Is anyone on MGN-3?

I hear that it can really help with SE.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

I am on my day 11 now after my 1st CT, and developed these aches pains all over my body, especially in my upper arm muscles on both sides. I also feel 'chilled' to my bones and more tired than in the past couple of days. Yesterday, I felt pretty normal, other than a bit of a gum and tongue irritation.

Could that be Neulasta pain?

I took some Advil, put on a thick wooly sweater, and applying hot magic bag and Rub A535 on my sore body parts.Sad

I hope it's going to work.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm adding some homemade chicken soup to my 'make me feel better' list.

• flannelette
    edited November 2013
    Options

Maybe you'd better warm up some of those WW2 berets - I imagine they're nice & thick - with a hair dryer then pop one on your head, too! It IS mighty cold out there all of a sudden.......

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

I am just letting you know that I ended up in hospital. I was running a high fever 39.9 C, had the chills, body aches and pains and the area of my axilla site started to hurt like hell. The pain was so excruciating that I begged them to give me morphene.

This was pain wise right up there with labour pains for me.

They put me on 2 kinds of antibiotics.

Doctors can't seem to agree on the diagnoses, but hopefully someone will have a bright moment and will give me the right kind of medicine that will hep.

Honestly, can't wait to get home.

I hope it's going to be soon.

• Alicethecat
    Alicethecat Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi Amazon Warrior

From one FEC-D lady to another, sorry to hear you're in hospital.

I got neutropenia (a low number white blood cells called neutrophils) after my first FEC transfusion and was treated with intravenous Vancomyin because I am allergic to penicillin. Sorted!

The docs kept me in for two days and sent me home with another antibiotic, Ciproflaxin, for a week and I was fine.

After this, I got a Neupogen injections after each chemo to try and keep my neutrophils up.

Hopefully your docs will get it sorted out soon!

Best wishes

Alice

• Amazonwarrior
    edited November 2013
    Options

alicethecat: Sorry to hear what you had to go through. It certainly wasn't fun for you.

My condition is slowly improving, so I am hoping to leave the hospital soon.

• Alicethecat
    Alicethecat Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013
    Options

Amazon Warrior

Hurrah! Excellent news.

Hope you get home again soon.

Alice

• Amazonwarrior
    edited December 2013
    Options

I escaped the 'prison' for a while today and went out with my family to a restaurant. Going out, seeing people and eating good food (not the 'prison slop') made me feel somewhat normal. Even though I was in physical pain, it was well worth it. The only thing was that before I left I couldn't find my nurse to let her know of my plans, and my husband was rushing, so we just left without a notice. When I came I told my nurse about it, then she just gently scolded me for my 'bad behaviour' and I am back to be the 'model inmate'.Loopy

My hair started to shed exactly 14 days after my 1st CT. It's going so far for me in that regard by the book. (Is there some sort of internal clock that these hair follicles follow?)

So my hair is falling like the leaves in the fall. Strangely, I am not upset by it. Why be upset over something inevitable? Am I upset to see the leaves fall in the autumn? No! Because I know that that's the way it is. I will try to admire the bare branches in the winter time. And then in the spring it will all come back!

Beautiful, lush, green leaves!

• Amazonwarrior
    edited December 2013
    Options

I am finally out of the hospital and enjoying my time at home.

Today is my day
    20 after my first CT. My hair is shedding like crazy. I even vacuumed it a
    couple of times, since I don't like the hair to be all over the place. I have a
    lot a hair to shed though. Even my hairdresser commented on it last time I got
    my hair cut.

Thank goodness,
    my wig arrived yesteday. I tried it on and it doesn't look bad at all. It came
    through mail from TLCdirect. It's a cute pixie style in a chestnut colour .

My next CT was
    postponed by 1 week due to my infection and a hospital stay. I need the time to
    recover before I get 'punched and hit' again.

My infection
    site is swollen, tight and tender, but keep taking those antibiotics to
    hopefully resolve that issue.

The port site
    is a bit tender as well, however my overall energy level is higher today than
    before.

As far as TV
    goes, I totally blocked out news. I find things there quite depressing. The
    only station that I can watch is Oasis HD. Yes, nature shows to calm my nerves.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hello ladies!

I couldn't sleep last night due to various SE, so I wrote some haiku poems.

I am dedicating these poems to my loving husband of 20 years to this very day!!!!

Here it is...

CHEMO HAIKU

Hot flashes, cold sweats.

Moonless night is passing by.

Sleep is escaping.

Dexamethasone.

Hunger pains are striking now.

Feeling on the edge.

Body aches and pains.

Temperature is soaring high.

Do I want to cry?

Chemo's welcome sign.

Hydration is essential.

Water tastes awful!

Painful, itchy scalp.

Hair falls out like autumn leaves.

Liberating bald!

Haunting side effects.

Feeling scared in Chemo land.

Crying a wolf's cry.

Severe nausea.

Mouth sores decorating tongue.

Glistening like pearls.

Taxotere, my mate.

Bone pain with metalic taste.

Will you leave or stay?

Red devil in veins

Kicking cancer in behind

With smoky odour 

• flannelette
    edited January 2014
    Options

Amazon Warrior - You are a wonderful haiku poet, with a great sense of humour. that helps a LOT. and a wonderful husband really helps (as opposed to the many who hinder) I'm same as you 2B, had same regimen, if you can't stand the taste of water try icy cold chunks of pineapple or cantaloupe or watermelon. Best!

• Amazonwarrior
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi Flannelette, thanks for the tip about the cantaloupe. That's exactly what I do sometimes. I love it nice and chilled.

And you are right there that we should appreciate our husbands who give us support we need in this journey.

I see that you were dx in 2008 and then had another surgery in 2012 on LNs only?

How did you manage with Taxotere?

• Amazonwarrior
    edited January 2014
    Options

Here is a poem that I wrote today. It is not a haiku though. I hope you are OK with that.;)

AN ODE TO A MASTECTOMY BREAST 

Fragrant taste of succulent fruit

Now a withered branch.

Broken.

Glimpse of summer's breath

Gentle caressing fingers

Upon the rounded shape.

Once the land of milk and honey

Now a desert bitten by frost.

Dry riverbed upon the chest

Where once laid fullness

Perk and form.

• flannelette
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi Amazon - I didn't have taxotere. In 2012 they were looking everywhere for metastsized br ca cells as a lymph node in annual mammo was 1.2 instead of 1 cm. and away they went on the Hunt for Red October even to dissecting 6 nodes. nada. Lymph was enlarged because id' had a rash from hell (neurodermatitis), I guess.

• Amazonwarrior
    edited February 2014
    Options

Sorry to hear that you had to go through that. Why didn't they biopsy that first? Did that small enlargement warrant the need for dissection?