We are 191,998 members in 81 forums discussing 142,875 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After → Topic: Starting Chemo May 2017

Topic: Starting Chemo May 2017

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Apr 21, 2017 02:05PM

ParakeetsRule wrote:

I'm supposed to start on May 15. Anybody else also starting next month?

Dx at 36 after several years of being told it was nothing. Lymph node biopsy was also positive. Dx 3/21/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/15/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery

Page 17 of 20 (596 results)

Posts 481 - 510 (596 total)

Jun 15, 2017 10:03AM - edited Jun 16, 2017 08:40AM by msrobin58

MsLin, I imagine you are disappointed to be missing all your usual gardening. When this all started for me, that was one of my primary concerns. And for me to be out of the garden for most of the month of May was torture! That's the main garden month here in Ohio.

Sca, when my stomach issues come, I find myself eating like a toddler, bland! My main foods then are eggs, grilled cheese, peanut butter, cheese pizza, and mac and cheese! I sure don't eat like that normally. Seems to me, even the happiest cancer patient is prone to tears. It's normal.

Irwells-You go right ahead and nap all you need! Rest is healing.

StrongGirl0328-Yea to your last date with the Red Devil! Mine is July 5. May all SE's be manageable!

BreastlessBeth, good luck making your decision on which cancer center will serve you best. I'm happy with mine, but still hate to see it looming in my view as I draw near.

BJI, I'll be following with interest to see how your Taxol treatment goes since that's my next step. My head hair is 99% gone on AC but nothing else, and I was surprised to read that it's Taxol that causes the rest of it to go. Sure not looking forward to losing my lashes and brows.

LovePugs77 and NotAnIsland-Bet you're bothglad to have #3 done with, I sure am!

What's comin' will come, and we'll meet it when it does---Hagrid Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (right) Chemotherapy 5/3/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 15, 2017 11:51AM lrwells50 wrote:

Have started having taste issues after chemo #2 - nothing tomato based tastes good, even stuff like thousand island dressing. Had tacos last night though, and they tasted great, as did the hot sauce. Maybe tomato with the vinegar in the hot sauce makes it okay. I also seem to be craving salt, which I know I shouldn't use a lot of. I've noticed water and tea tasting kind of nasty, too. Better with lemon, which I normally don't like in my water. Makes me worry about what's behind chemo door #'s 3 and 4.

OncotypeDx 24, I think because although I was 100% ER+, I was very weakly PR+ . BARD1 mutation, mother had breast cancer twice. Dx 12/5/2016, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/8/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/19/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 15, 2017 12:04PM DodgersGirl wrote:

msrobin58- I just had Taxol #3 yesterday. I have lost a few lower lid eye lashes (more missing from right eye than left eye) and about half of my eye brows (more missing over left eye)

But I am getting whispy hair back on my head ( whispy and sparse like 4 hairs growing out in a few random places all over my scalp)

I, too, am missing being out in the garden. It is amazing how many parts of ones life cancer takes from you (even if it's just temporary). I have 3 aero gardens and am growing strawberries and cherry tomatoes indoors while hubby tends to flowers and food gardens outside this spring/sumner

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/5/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 15, 2017 07:48PM StrongGirl0328 wrote:

Dodgersgirl -Thank you!! It felt so good walking out of there knowing that was the end of round 1 and AC!!! Can't wait to have that same feeling at the end of round 2, but that's a while out yet.... sad to hear about taxol taking eyebrows and lashes, I was kind of hoping I dodged the bullet by not losing mine with my hair :(

Msrobin58 - yay for AC #4 being soon for you too!!! And I find myself eating the same type of menu these days, in fact I am eating grilled cheese right now! Lol

Irwells50 - my taste issues started after #2 also, first thing I noticed was beer! I tried to drink one and it was nasty! And that is (was) pretty much the only alcohol thing I drink. But probably a good thing since my MO said best to stay away from alcohol during treatment, so at least now I don't feel like I'm missing anything ;) I did find spicy foods were better and I too craved salt! I found myself adding it to things I never would have before.

All in all treatment went well yesterday. I actually felt much better today then I did the day after #3 so hopefully that pattern continues! Started getting a bit tired around 4pm. My WBC was up the highest it's been and at the top of the "normal" range which was surprising and relieving to me. RBC and Hgb were slightly low which explains my increased lack of energy the last couple weeks and they said I'm slightly anemic but nothing to be concerned about. My guess is that is due to the fact that I haven't been eating red meat... they say you are supposed to make sure all of your meat is cooked all the way and I'm a Med rare kind of girl so trying to eat well done steaks just doesn't do it for me lol. So lots of chicken :) but man would I love a nice juicy steak!!! :))

Dx 3/28/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIB, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/2/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide)

Jun 15, 2017 10:31PM MsLin wrote:

Irwells - foods started to change flavor for me after AC#1. Almost immediately in fact. Water tastes horrible, like spit. The smell of coffee is disgusting so I won't even try it. Most bread products taste like cardboard unless I put jam or cream cheese on them. Tomatoes are iffy. Although not that I've thought of it Five Guys fries and ketchup sound really good right now. I'm normally a vegetarian, but salami with cream cheese is my go-to snack. Salty things and tangy things are fine. Sweets are fine too with the exception of the 1/2 an oatmeal cookie I tried to eat earlier. Fruit is my friend. Apples especially.

"Do or do not. There is no try." -Yoda Dx 2/15/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/11/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/26/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy

Jun 16, 2017 09:54AM msrobin58 wrote:

It's interesting to see how every one is eating, and I see many similarities. Salty things are my friends right now, otherwise food has no taste. I don't care whether or not it's good for me, I need it to help me eat. Do you know we even snuck some into the hospital while I was there? LOL The other day I even picked up the pickle jar and drank some juice, just like when I was pregnant so many years ago.

Normally I'm a tea drinker, but now it tastes bitter to me. I drink water, because you're supposed to, but it's so bland and flat. I don't generally like to drink calories but OJ and lemonade both taste pretty good to me.

Sweets are mostly awful and cloying. I've always enjoyed wine, but it sounds nauseating now. And wouldn't you know hubby won a raffle of 100 bottles of wine! I already have plenty I'm not drinking! H

What's comin' will come, and we'll meet it when it does---Hagrid Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (right) Chemotherapy 5/3/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 16, 2017 10:28AM sbelizabeth wrote:

When I was on chemo I quit drinking soda for good. Too sweet. I learned I really like soda water. It's bubbly and refreshing and a bit tart.

pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.... Dx 10/20/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/15/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2012 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jun 16, 2017 10:35AM lrwells50 wrote:

Both of my girls started drinking carbonated water when they were in Europe, but it still tastes awful to me.

OncotypeDx 24, I think because although I was 100% ER+, I was very weakly PR+ . BARD1 mutation, mother had breast cancer twice. Dx 12/5/2016, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/8/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/19/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 16, 2017 12:20PM BCFighter2017 wrote:

So glad to be done with #4 AC treatment yesterdayHappy. After two weeks will be starting 4 DD Taxol treatment

As far as side effect are concerned , one side effect that bothered me was mouthsores. I do baking soda + salt swishing , use biotene but it relieves it temporarily.

Nurse suggested a mouthwash called 'prevention' , will get it this weekend.Hopefully it works.

All in all happy to be half way over

Dx @ 34 thinking it was closed milk duct after stopping breast milk pumping Dx 4/10/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/4/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 16, 2017 02:34PM DodgersGirl wrote:

bcfighter2017- congrats on finishing AC and best of luck with DD Taxol!

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/5/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 16, 2017 04:20PM notanisland wrote:

BCFighter and DodgersGirl: Congratulations on your completion of AC treatments! Will you continue to post here or have you moved/will you move the majority of your messages to a Taxol topic thread? Now that I've got AC#3 under my belt and my final AC treatment scheduled for June 29, I'm eager to keep up with your experiences on Taxol, as well as the ladies here on other chemo regimens that started in May 2017. I feel like we're a club!

Dx 4/12/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/18/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 16, 2017 06:17PM BCFighter2017 wrote:

Thanks DodgersGirl :-)

@notinthisland I will keep posting my updates as i go along with Taxol treatment. I learned so much from posts and would want to contribute to it same way :-)

Dx @ 34 thinking it was closed milk duct after stopping breast milk pumping Dx 4/10/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/4/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 16, 2017 10:16PM DodgersGirl wrote:

notanisland- I post mostly on the Weekly Taxol and April Chemo threads and post here....and will probably continue that way.

Next week's Taxol will mark the halfway point of my chemo plan...4 AC and 4 Taxol down and 8 Taxol to go. I can start to see the end of this phase of BC treatments.

Hope your weekend is good!!!

Jun 17, 2017 05:20PM notanisland wrote:

There are many going through taste changes caused by chemo. I thought I'd share info from a handout originally donated by Diana Meyer, MS, RD, a cancer survivor, registered dietician, organic garlic farmer, and the author of "A Dietician's Cancer Story: Information & Inspiration for Recovery & Healing from a 3-Time Cancer Survivor." Question and Answer updated by Daria Pori on behalf of the ON DPG. www.caringforcancer.com

Question: Are there any foods that will help with taste changes caused by chemotherapy?

Answer: Some chemotherapy medications can cause taste changes, making food unappealing. Use the following tips to keep your mouth clean and reduce the odd flavors your treatment may cause.

• Clean your mouth frequently with baking soda rinse. Add 1 tsp baking soda, and if desired, 1 tsp salt, to one quart of room temperature water and mix well. Before eating, swish a small amount of this mixture in your mouth and spit it out.
  • If you have a metallic taste in your mouth, use plastic utensils.
  • Add lemon or lime slices, or a few fresh berries to water to improve its taste.
  • Avoid food smells and being in the kitchen when food is prepared.
  • Breakfast foods may be better tolerated than other foods. Try scrambled eggs, hot and cold cereals, pancakes, waffles and smoothies at any time of day.
  • Cold foods will have fewer odors. Try deviled eggs, watermelon, frozen berries, yogurt and shakes.
  • Tart flavors, such as lemon and lime, and vinegars and pickled items, often taste better during treatment. These also improve the taste of other foods. Do not use these items if you have a sore mouth or throat; they may cause more irritation.
  • If foods taste overly sweet, add something sour or slightly bitter. For example, add frozen cranberries to a fruit smoothie, or decaffeinated powdered coffee to chocolate or vanilla liquid nutritional supplements.
  • You may develop new flavor preferences during treatment. Try herbs such mint or tarragon, spices such as cumin or condiments including mustard, ketchup or Italian salad dressing.
  • Marinate beef, pork or chicken in teriyaki or sweet and sour sauce, or in dressings made with citrus juices or wine to perk up their flavor.

Please discuss your individualized nutritional needs with the Registered Dietician at your cancer treatment facility.

Dx 4/12/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/18/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 19, 2017 09:44AM Hope1970 wrote:

BC Fighter and Dodger Girl, congratulations on completing your AC treatments! MsLin and Robin58, it's great to hear you are able to resume gardening. It is important to be able to reconnect and maintain those aspects of our lives that give us pleasure as we confront our treatments.

Last Monday I had my 2nd EC infusion. Like the first time, the side effects were manageable and lasted for about 5 days. Something new I experienced, which I hadn't before, were dizzy spells and impaired concentration when it came to driving etc. Not sure if this is "Chemo"/ other drugs but I found it a little disconcerting and I was unable to collect my daughter from a trip....poor kid was stranded until my husband could pick her up 2 hours later. Thankfully the earth is once again stable and I'm able to function normally! Has anyone else experienced this? Clinic checked blood pressure etc. and all was normal.

I have joined a "Yoga for Menschen mit Krebs" (yoga class for cancer patients) and am also practicing at home. I had practiced yoga 3 times/week for years, but needed to take a break because of surgery. It feels great to resume some of my old activities, even if they are scaled down and modified. I am learning the life lesson of patience but am encouraged to see my body strengthening and become more flexible every day. It's a reminder to me of how are bodies are able to regenerate. Even if these treatments knock us, over time we will regain our strength and resilience!

My latest favorite resource that I'd like to share with those who are interested is :

Yoga for Cancer: A Guide to Managing Side Effects, Boosting Immunity and Improving recovery for Cancer Survivors by Tara Prinster. This contains interesting scientific info that is readily accessible to a lay person.

Thanks Notanisland for providing the food tips. On the subject of mouth sores and taste changes, so far I haven't experienced any but wanted to mention that The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz also has info re: foods that stimulate the taste buds, foods to avoid etc. She lists common ingredients and their benefits for cancer patients as well as providing menus to combat specific side effects, such as Leukopenia, fatigue, constipation, nausea and vomiting sore mouth and difficulty swallowing etc. Her info is also scientific and accessible. Her book contains many delicious and easy recipes too (although my 11 year old would disagree). Here are her suggestions for the following:

Metallic tasting- sweetener (maple syrup), squeeze of lemon, fat (nut cream or butter)

Too sweet tasting- 6 drops lemon/lime and increase amt in small increments until the sweet taste becomes muted

Things taste too salty-1/4 teaspoon lemon juice

Too bitter-maple syrup

Everything tastes like Cardboard - more sea salt and spritz of lemon

Hair- 21 days after 1st treatment, one week after 2nd treatment and a full head of mangy, unhealthy looking hair. Not sure if it was my husband reflexively covering his plate whenever I passed by to protect his food from an avalanche of hair/ the time I spent on the bathroom floor surrounded by hair and sobbing, but I headed out 1st thing this morning to get my head shaved. I was hoping to pull off a Sinead O'Connor look but I am stunned to realize I look like a convict ( Perhaps I have missed my true calling...... aha, maybe if I look scary enough, my kids will finally listen to me)!! What surprised me is how sensitive and intense the sensation in my scalp is. Anything tight-fitting ( those cute little turban type caps I'd invested in, the wig etc) is uncomfortable. I am hoping this intense feeling subsides. What is the most comfortable is the silk head scarf I bought ( think it'll be comfortable in the heat too) .

For those interested headcovers.com has a great affordable collection as well as info on tying head scarves, other products/resources for cancer patients etc. Here's the link for tying headscarves:

https://www.headcovers.com/resources/hats-scarves/...

Wishing everyone a wonderful week!

Dx 3/3/2017, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 4/20/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jun 19, 2017 01:12PM msrobin58 wrote:

I just wanted to take a moment to brag up my hubby during all this. Of course I'm not feeling my best during chemo, so he picks up the slack for me. Yesterday was Father's Day and I did manage to fix him some eggs and sausage, but it was a struggle for me to see the uncooked eggs. The rest of the day he did some of my gardening for me, got groceries, and cleaned the bathrooms. Then he got to grill himself a steak. He's quite a guy. I had to tease him that we were now even since I had to spend Mother's Day in the hospital. Cheers to those who help us through all this

Jun 19, 2017 02:30PM lrwells50 wrote:

Hope1970, my hair follicles hurt as well until what wanted to fall out fell out. What's left (maybe 10%) isn't anchored very securely, and comes out if I tug, but it doesn't hurt any more, and it's easier to wear the wig. I sleep with a CPAP, and it was really uncomfortable when my hair hurt. I'm wondering if at day 13, like last time, the rest of my hair will come out.

Jun 22, 2017 12:33PM DodgersGirl wrote:

checking in to see how everyone is doing?

I am riding pre-meds after Taxol #4 so today is a great day!

MO said she couldn't feel my tumor any longer so that gives me the encouragement to finish my Taxol plan for sure!

Jun 22, 2017 03:37PM BJI wrote:

Completed taxol#4 today, no ill effects, same as the previous ones. The nurse today got blood return right away, I didnt need to do any gymnastics. Husband and I met some friends for supper tonight. The hair is dropping pretty quickly, thinking we might have to cut it this weekend.

As I read the posts, the people having SE, I feel a little guilty. So far this trip has been quite easy, I understand things could change. Always feel unsure if I should share how good I feel, how few SE I have had, and the ones I have are easy to manage. I pray everyday that the journey continues to be manageable.

Bev Dx 4/11/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/25/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 5/7/2017 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 5/30/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/30/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jun 22, 2017 04:50PM DodgersGirl wrote:

Bev, I love reading your posts! I am so happy to read that some people are doing so well with chemo! Please keep posting. Know that women who will be diagnosed in the months to come will read thru our forums and will gain knowledge and comfort that they can do this battle! It's just as important to read about people doing well (giving them hope) as it easy about reading about SE and different ways of coping.

I think we post to share and help others and to vent to people who understand.

My SE with Taxol are very tolerable just irritating and so far am blessed that there isn't neuropathy and blessed that my white blood cell counts remain good enough to continue weekly

If I could just get my port to allow blood draws each time without the added drama, that would be awesome! They think my port touches the wall and sometimes that causes problems. Taxol 4, it worked like a charm. Hoping for the same next Wednesday

Jun 22, 2017 05:05PM lrwells50 wrote:

I have either a small clot or scar in the vein they used for the infusion, although it's beginning to resolve. They'll have to use a different one next week. My bowels have been sort of loose this week, which is odd 11-13 days out, but lots better than constipation! If it gets worse, I'll take some Immodium. Today for the first time, I'm really retaining water in my feet and ankles, which I rarely do. I haven't been given any steroids other than what they gave me pre-chemo, and haven't eaten a lot of salty stuff in the last few days. Trying to drink lots of water.

Jun 22, 2017 06:09PM BJI wrote:

DodgersGirl

I have some of same issues with my port. I have one good arm vein for my weekly blood draws. If it gives out, I will start having it drawn from the port. When they flush my port, they have trouble getting blood return. I stand up, raise my arms, cough, turn to each side, and eventually it comes. They think it gets against the wall of the vein. Except this week, I think the nurse got the needle directly in the center, it worked right away. Always get a little nervous about this part..

Bev Dx 4/11/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/25/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 5/7/2017 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 5/30/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/30/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jun 22, 2017 07:57PM DodgersGirl wrote:

Bev, yes that's what I go thru. Last week, they had to recline me and then have me roll onto my left side to get it to work for the blood draw but when I got back to the infusion chair, it wouldn't work so I was given activase (then wait 30 mins) then it worked. This week, port worked like it is supposed to for blood test and chemo. I was hoping having chemo weekly would make the port draw blood like it should. But so far it's worked half the time. Sigh

My infusion center says this is a really common problem with ports yet I don't read posts from too many people mentioning problems leaving me confused.

Jun 23, 2017 08:14AM - edited Jun 23, 2017 08:16AM by lovepugs77

I had AC #3 last week, and am doing well. I was more tired after this one, and pretty much slept all weekend, but still not too bad. I still haven't had any of what I would call nausea, but my tummy did feel a little odd last weekend, so I took a compazine and that seemed to help. The worst part for me has been muscle pain. After infusions #2 and 3, I've had upper body muscle aches (chest, arms, neck, and back). It starts about 48 hours after the infusion, and around 21-24 hours after the neulasta shot. I'm blaming the neulasta. It only lasts for about 36 hours, so it isn't too bad, just annoying.

My last AC is scheduled for next week, and then on to 4 DD taxol infusions!

Edited to add that my nurses had trouble with my port and blood return at infusion #2. They finally got it to work by having me lie down with one arm above my head. No problems at #1 or #3. I think the problem was that I had slept on my side the night before #2, because I didn't before #1 or #3. I hate sleeping on my back, but am trying to do it for the night or two before each infusion.

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' ~ Eleanor Roosevelt Dx 2/17/2017, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/17/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/28/2017 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 4/13/2017 Lymph node removal: Left Chemotherapy 5/18/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 23, 2017 06:11PM MamaEnki wrote:

I had my last AC treatment yesterday. A 2 week break and then onto Taxol. I glad that I get to read how others are handling taxol, now that the AC is done, I am getting irrationally worried about Taxol side effects. So far no major problems with the AC, I think the 3rd was the worst lots of fatigue, of course I still have to see how this one goes. I am also sad about all the delicious summer fruit tasting horribly for a week after my infusion. Reading the travails with the ports almost makes me glad that I didn't get one. We'll see how I hold up with the twelve weekly infusions, if it gets too bad I might request a PICC line for the remaining treatments.

After my last AC yesterday, my DH, DS who is 5, and I went to the DMV so my cancer self can be memorialized for the next 15 years in my driver's license, which is set to expire on July 4th, my 40th birthday. To celebrate I wore my light pink wig, I figured it was better than my ig bald head.

I wish everyone few side effects and may you continue to kick cancer's a$!!!! (hope I don't offend anyone)

Jun 23, 2017 07:49PM notanisland wrote:

Congratulations MamaEnki on your final AC treatment! Lovepugs and I are right behind you! For me, AC #4 will be 6/29, and though I have little to complain about, I will be glad to put neutropenia behind me. My very low neutrophil count from about Day 5 through Day 10 hasn't caused me any discomfort, but the self-imposed isolation has been frustrating and difficult to understand (Why does Neulasta take so long to work on me?).

My NP tells me that Taxol will more than likely not affect my WBC like AC has. Plus, my Taxol regimen will be 12 treatments over 12 weeks and not DD (my AC treatments are DD). But there's always the neuropathy to worry about. So I'm crossing my fingers and toes, sending up prayers and visualizing the best case scenario for all of us. May we have zero side effects, or if that's asking for too much, may they be few and easy to bear. We can do this!

Jun 24, 2017 10:29PM lovepugs77 wrote:

Notanisland, my final AC is the 29th, too. I'm scheduled for DD taxol starting two weeks after that.

Have any of you heard about or used this: http://www.reliefband.com/medical-professionals/cinv/

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' ~ Eleanor Roosevelt Dx 2/17/2017, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/17/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/28/2017 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 4/13/2017 Lymph node removal: Left Chemotherapy 5/18/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 26, 2017 11:06AM - edited Jun 26, 2017 11:07AM by msrobin58

Hello to my fellow warriors! I've been remiss in touching base with all of you. Sometimes I just focus so hard on getting through my days that I have little energy for anything else. To say that I'm quite selfish these days would be putting it mildly.

I'm on day 13 from my 3rd AC treatment, with my final one scheduled for July 5. While nothing serious has gone wrong, it's still been a rough go this time. I'm going to blame the promised cumulative effects, as each has been a little worse than the one before. I'm so glad to hear that many of you are sailing through chemo with few ill effects. Please keep posting and never feel guilty for those of us struggling. I think the difference is what regimen we're all on. AC is known to be the worst, the big guns, if you will. Most of the time those us having a rough go are on AC.

As usual I have to fight through the neutropenia period. Some women feel normal even while their WBC dips, but for me it's a lot like having the flu. I just feel awful days 5-11. And the self imposed isolation is trying.

I'm feeling a bit better now, but I've developed my first mouth sores which make eating difficult. I can't stomach the nauseating Magic Mouthwash he gave me for it, and I suppose I'm too late for the preventive baking soda/salt water rinse. Is there anything healing I can use?

I'm also fighting with my bowels which alternate between two opposite poles. I'm at my wits end, trying to get to that third week of normalcy which should start any day. I'll be so disappointed if I don't get much normal this time.

Jun 28, 2017 04:36PM Radmonkey wrote:

Hello... I just had AC #3 on June 21. Definitely more fatigue this round. I will be finishing AC July 5!! My oncologist gave me a choice for my second half: dose dense Taxotere x 4 every 2 weeks or Taxol x 12 every week. My onc says there are more skin side effects associated with dose dense but I would like to be done with chemo in August. Anyone on dose dense? How has the side effects been? Better or worse than AC?

Thanks. R

Jun 28, 2017 08:15PM Breastlessbeth wrote:

I found a positive regarding chemo, it is a great tick repellent. Prior to chemo I could pull 2 or 3 off me after a visit to the dog park, none since. I always try to find a positive.

Treatment#4 T/C Friday. Treatment #3 had minor SE mostly mouth and taste.

I've got to stay away from YouTube and the documentation on Cancer and its treatments. The last one focused on $$ involved in the fight against cancers and promoted natural methods stating Chemo is not effective 97% of the time.

Page 17 of 20 (596 results)