Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2017

Upheld
Upheld Member Posts: 35

I hope we can offer one another support and encouragement as we start this journey. I've learned so much on this board!

To say the upcoming week will be busy is an understatement. I will work this weekend, then get my hair cut on Monday. I have thick, long, auburn hair. I'm getting it cut above my shoulders. I wanted to just go ahead and shave it off, but my hair guy talked me into a short cut first. I'm glad he did...

On Wednesday, I go for a second opinion to bless the treatment plan my local oncologist has prescribed. I'm really excited about this visit, as I will meet individually with the surgeon, the radiation oncologist, and the medical oncologist. I've got a list of the hard questions for each one. I am stage 3C with a positive lymph node, multiple tumors in one breast and a spot on my sacram that lit up on the PET scan. I am triple positive. I am going to ask about prognosis and treatment

I get a port placed on Thursday, then I work my 3 twelve hour shifts Friday - Sunday.

My first chemo is scheduled for Tuesday May 30th. I am getting 6 cycles of treatment, once every 3 weeks for a total of 18 weeks I'm to receive Herceptin, Perjeta, Carboplatin, and Taxotere with a Neulasta shot. Then on to get a mastectomy, then radiation, then 1 year of Herceptin.

Please tell us your diagnosis, your treatment plan, and anything else you would like to share. Look forward to hearing from you!

Comments

• Rukoni
    Rukoni Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2017

Hi, Upheld! I will be a little after you, as I'm starting chemo on Friday, June 2nd. It will be four rounds of cytoxan and taxotere, every three weeks. My insurance company, originally, said they wouldn't cover the neulasta shots; my MO is going to try to fight it with the fact that I had my UMX with reconstruction about five weeks ago, so am at increased risk of infection (Yay... I think?).

I was stage IIa with a 3cm tumor amd no affected lymph nodes. Originally, I opted for a lumpectomy, which led to a re-excision, which led to my UMX. After my UMX, my BS found out that there was also a bunch of scattered DCIS and two spots of micro-invasive cancer, in addition to the original tumor, so that was definitely the way to go.

I have gradually shortened my hair from below my shoulders, to a short bob, to (currently) a pixie cut to, hopefully, make it more palatable for my toddler (and myself) when all of it starts to go. After chemo, I'm looking at 5 - 10 years of tamoxifen and, maybe, a therapy that is still part of a clinical trial (That one was sprung on me during my appointment with my MO.).

Positive thoughts for the coming weeks!

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2017

Rukon - My sister and I were both initially denied Neulasta, but after one "go round" with the hospital, both of us had approval.

Just wanted to give you some hope in that regard!

• Upheld
    edited May 2017

Hello Rukoni! I'm glad we'll be together on this journey that no one wants to take. It hurt my heart when you mentioned a toddler. I will be following along! Prayers for your peace!

• Rukoni
    edited May 2017

Thank you, ladies!

Denise-G: Thank you for the information. Actually, I found your blog back in March when my MO told me that I would need chemo. Reading about the experiences that you and your sister had helped me, especially, when I was preparing for my reconstruction. So, thank you for that, as well!

Upheld: Thank you for your kind words. We are far from family, but, luckily, they're happy (More than happy, actually.) to take her during the first round, so I can figure out how everything affects me. It makes me sad that she'll be away from us for so long, but it seems like the best plan right now. I will be following your journey, as well, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. We're in this together!

• BlueEyedPisces
    BlueEyedPisces Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2017

Hello All. This is my first post on this site....things are starting to finally feel "real". I saw my Onc last week and I finally have a start date for Chemo---June 8th!! Eeeek! I will be on dose dense AC+T.....AC every two weeks, for four rounds....followed by Taxol, again every two weeks for four rounds. I am terrified of being on chemotherapy, esp this regimen since I have read it's pretty harsh. My biggest fear is getting sick and I've already been prescribed my anti-nausea meds (3 total), as well as Ativan to hopefully help along with the anti-nausea meds. I was very sick with both pregnancies until I delivered & I am very prone to motion sickness, so my Onc says that rule is a good indicator of how I may react to chemo, but I am super hopeful this isn't true. I go for an echocardiogram this coming Tuesday and then I'm headed to the Dominican Republic for a week getaway to relax before port surgery and then starting chemo----sooooo looking forward to this and for once not have to think about anymore medical/cancer stuff. I am so glad we have this group to support and encourage one another during this battle. It will be nice to have others going through the same things.

• Upheld
    edited May 2017

Blueeyedpisces, it's great to "meet" you! Have a wonderful time in the Dominican Republic! That's a great idea. Turn off the "cancer radio" and turn on some island tunes. Will pray for you to not have nausea.

• Rukoni
    edited May 2017

Hi, BlueEyedPisces!

There is a lady in my support group who is currently undergoing AC+T. One thing she advised me to do is to stay on top of the anti-nausea medication and not wait until nausea hits. Honestly, all of the potential side-effects of chemo freak me out; I'm hoping it will get easier after the first round, since I will have an idea of what to expect. We'll all get through this.

Have fun in the Dominican Republic. My friend went last year, I believe, and told me wonderful things.

• Rukoni
    edited May 2017

BlueEyedPisces: I hope your echocardiogram went well today!

Upheld: I hope your appointments go well this week!

• Unknown
    edited May 2017

Hi Upheld,

My 1st chemo is scheduled Tuesday May 30 same day you are getting it. I'm getting 4 cycles of AC treatment once every 3 wks, then 4 cycles of T once every 3 wks, then 1 yr of Herceptin every 3 wks.

Done all my prep, have my port placed, had pixie cut a week ago and on Monday May 29th my husband will buzzed cut my hair. I'm feeling anxious on all of this happening but I said to myself I can do it.

I'm not sure if I can go to work while doing my chemo.

• moodyblues
    moodyblues Member Posts: 393
    edited May 2017

Upheld  Thanks for contacting me...!

And so it begins.  Chemo May 31st at 9 a.m..  You all were correct it is Taxotere and not Taxol as I was previously told.  You guys ROCK!

TCH and they stated no Perjeta after all.  The new ONCO said at my first appt. that he wasn't sure about Perjeta and when I received the call from the NP yesterday she said no.  I questioned why not and was told that they usually use it with mets and since everything came back clear they wouldn't do it, also said it was really hard on you when combined with Herceptin. (I have never heard that about Perjeta only being used for mets-I thought it was extra ammo for 2cm+)  I have read that Perjeta is for 2cm and over and mine was 2, I mentioned that to her as well.  Anyway, I go for training May 30 and will know more then. 

TCH once every three weeks for 6-8 treatments.  I am as ready as I will ever be I guess!

(cross posted)
  • Upheld
    edited May 2017

I went to Chapel Hill yesterday where the Lineberger Breast Center is located. This hospitals is renowned for breast cancer treatment. I say that so that you will know where the following information came from. I met with a surgeon, a radiation oncologist, and a medical oncologist. They had all reviewed my case, including the original pathology slides and the actual test themselves, not just the reports. They then had a plan before I met with each of them individually. It was a wonderful experience. I'd like to share some things that I learned in the hopes that it may help someone else.

I see above a lot of conversation about projeta. The plan for me was to be on Herceptin alone for a total of a year. That would include the time that I receive it during the next four months while I get my chemo. The Perjeta is a drug that has, according to the medical board joy there, revolutionized the treatment outcomes for patients with triple positive cancers. In fact, there will be a paper presented at the ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncologists) conference covering all of the trials and results as well as recommendations for this drug. He advised that I should add the Prejeta to the Herceptin and take both for one year.

I asked him about whether or not to take the Zofran prophylactically or just wait until I had symptoms. He told me to take it immediately after I get home, every eight hours. He said that it won't hurt me, except for constipation, and that psychologically, it's better to head off the nausea then go through it one time and then fear having it at every treatment.

He said that patients on my regimen, TCHP, typically get diarrhea or constipation. For the diarrhea, he said to take two tablets at the first episode, not one. . He said to take one tablet after each loose stool until the diarrhea abate's. So a positive from the Zofran is that the constipation side effect may be helped with the diarrhea.

If constipation is an issue, he says that Power Pudding is the key. There are recipes you can find for it on Google. You mix up a batch and put it in the refrigerator. Every morning, you take 2 tablespoons. He and his nurse swear by it.

I discussed icing with him with him during Taxetere. The clinical name for neuropathy is CIPN ( chemo-induced peripheral neuropathy) you can use that acronym and impress your doc! Anyway, if you Google it you will find clinical information and trials that have been completed regarding icing and Taxotere. I asked him about taking vitamin B6 and he said that there has not been any evidence showing that it helps to prevent or improve neuropathy. He said that he does encourage his patients to ice their feet and hands as there are no side effects and if it is effective, it would be well worth it.

The radiation oncologist felt strongly that any breast reconstruction or work after the mastectomy should be put off until after radiation is completed. She said the goal is for a cure and you do not want anything making it difficult for the radiation to be effective. On the other hand, radiated skin is harder for a plastic surgeon to work with. Personal choice.

When I asked what the 3 most important things to do during chemo, they said to drink a minimum of 100 oz of water a day, keep moving, and make sure you are getting your rest. They talked about exercising in some way every day. That it also really makes a difference with neuropathy.

They also stressed speaking up with any side effects or any issues. I have a hard time asking for help or bothering anyone, but this is not the time to be quiet!

The rest of the info I got pertained specifically to my case. I hope this information will help someone else!

• Upheld
    edited May 2017

Forgot one thing, a book I found that has been touted as the best for those going through chemo is "Chemo: Secrets to Thriving From Sonmeone Who's Been There" by Roxanne Brown.

• Unknown
    edited May 2017

Thank you ladies to all your inputs. I'm so happy to be part of this support group.

Upheld- Thank you for all the information. I will take note on all of these. I hope your appointment went well.

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 314
    edited May 2017

Hello, everybody! I'm at the "waiting" stage, but expect to start my chemo on or about Tuesday, June 6th. I have to have a PET-CT (originally denied by my insurance company; they made me have 2 CATs and a bone scan, which of course show "something", so now they'll authorize the PET-CT, aargh!) before my oncologist will commit to starting. He doesn't expect anything to change (the "something" looks like a swollen lymph node and a couple of spots on my lung), and has so far planned for 4 rounds of AC, 3 weeks apart. After that, radiation, then "hormone treatment"; I'll get more info on that later.

I did find out my cancer is estrogen and progesterone positive, but HER negative. Thanks to my well-meaning gynecologist who did my hysterectomy in 2001 - she left me with one ovary, so I wouldn't go into menopause at age 39 - the estrogen is now an issue.

Anyway - I wish I wasn't taking this journey, but I'm so thankful to be taking it here, with such a supportive group of women!

• Rukoni
    edited May 2017

Hello to the new folks!

Upheld, thanks for the information. I haven't heard of power pudding, but I will definitely look it up!

Yesterday, I had a dental cleaning with x-rays, to make sure that everything was fine and that I wasn't running any risk for infection in my mouth. My hygienist gave me a fluoride toothpaste, but also said that my MO may prescribe a rinse to use during chemo (Her mother is currently undergoing chemo for breast cancer, as well.). The fluoride is supposed to help protect against any cavities, which could be caused by the dry mouth brought on by chemo (Mouth sores are a possibility, as well; I've heard that sucking on ice may help with that.). So, I'll probably call my MO on Tuesday to ask about the rinse, the fluoride toothpaste, and the EMLA cream for my port.

We are getting our kiddo back on Monday for a few days before I start chemo. I'm really excited about that. I know we're lucky to have family and friends who can help out during this time, but the days are tough without her.

I have purchased claritin, tylenol, baggies for ice, Nail Envy (I think that's what it's called), and black nail polish. Also, planning to open an Audible account and to make this broth. http://www.rebeccakatz.com/magic-mineral-broth/

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

• Limonia
    Limonia Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2017

Hello All,

It's great to meet you! thanks for the start upheld! My initial start date has been delayed several weeks as I was still healing post surgery. I popped into other groups for a while and learned a lot, but am here as I'm starting June (Ciaci - same date as you!) and am thinking it can be helpful to be with those who are on a similar timeline. I will be having 6 tx - 3 weeks apart - FEC-D. It's all rather freaky. I got my long hair cut last weekend (1st short hair cut in over 25 years), and it's actually pretty adorable! Too bad it will all be coming out soon :-(.

I have my shopping list of what to buy this week, includes BIOTENE (for general mouthwash to use daily), a thermometer, the final choice wig, artificial tears, ginger ale, lip balm with spf, lemon/giner mints, coconut water, and baking soda (for mouthwash rinse if needed). I already have a couple of soft toothbrushes, and a couple of other things - like 7 facecloths, so that instead of using and throwing out all the stuff after each use (for concerns infections), I'll just use one a day and wash them...

I'm also hoping to make a bunch of soups and a couple of meals prepped.

Upheld, moodyblues & babybiko - good luck this week - thinking of you. Let us know how you are when you're up to it :-).

Limonia,

• speedyteach
    speedyteach Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2017

Hi everyone

This is my first post and have been lingering on site for a while reading others experiences while waiting on test results. There was a delay in oncotype results then an unexpected triple negative result with score of 58 once it came in. My pathology result was originally ER+, so the breast center retested my tumor and found it was in fact triple negative with a very small section of it having a weak positive component to it (just happens to be where original biopsy was taken from). Think the surgeon called it a heterogenous tumor. Anyways they will now be treating it as triple negative.

I will be starting dose dense ACT on June 9th, with the AC being every two weeks for 4 then the T every two weeks for 4 at a total of 16 weeks. My heart scan will be on the 6th to make sure its good for the treatment.

I am very scared, but ready to fight. I am 41 and very active with a 8 year old son and 13 year old daughter. My biggest fear is how this will effect my family.

Upheld-thank you for starting the thread and the information. Definately will be researching power pudding.

Rukoni-that's an awesome idea about dental cleaning-think I may check into doing that too.

• Lalajordan7
    Lalajordan7 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017

Hello everyone I start my chemo June 5th 2017 for 6 months I'm super nervas. I'm stage 3 because they found cancer in 4 lympnodes I'm 48 years old. I started using this sight yesterday and so happy I found a place to share my feelings and people who understand! I wish all of you the best God bless you

• MsLin
    MsLin Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2017

Hello everyone! I thought I'd add my voice to the group as well. Thanks for the encouragement Upheld. I started my first treatment on May 26, but it's so close to June that I thought I'd check in here too. I found with the May group that it was helpful to hear information from ladies ahead of me.

I too am on the AC+T dose dense 4 weeks and 4 weeks. Right now I'm on day 4 of round 1. The actual chemo day wasn't bad other than the waiting around. My infusion didn't start until 6:30pm. Day 2 wasn't bad after riding the pre-meds. I did use compazine and Ativan to sleep and slept the best I have since diagnosis in February. I'm making chemically induced sleep as a win in the sleep category. Day 3 started off fine. I spent some time outside and went out for lunch. However, I spent the remainder of the day in bed. Today I'm a little better, but slightly woozy.

I need to find a good balance with food. A lovely salmon dinner with salad last night was great, but too much.

I wish you all the best. We can all do hard things

• Upheld
    edited May 2017

hello June ladies! I have read back over everyone's posts and am so thankful to have each of us here. Isn't it amazing how there are bits and pieces in everyone's comments that can help someone else. So hopefully, this post will help those who are preparing for their first infusion.

I am getting TCHP which is taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin, and perjeta. Then I am having the neulasta Pod placed at the end of the infusion. I had my first session today and everything went great! First they gave me my pre-meds, steroids and Zofran like med for nausea. Then it was on to the herceptin and projeta. I had a slight headache that went away after a little bit with these two. Then I had some indigestion where I was burping up stuff in my throat. I didn't want to say anything to the nurse because I have some acid issues anyway. But my friend urged me to say something. I did and she immediately called the doctor and got some Pepcid which she injected into my port. The indigestion went away almost immediately. So, lesson number one, you have to speak up with every little thing. They can't help you if they don't know you're having a problem. And nothing is a little thing....

Then it was on to the tax here. I iced my hands and feet for 15 minutes before the infusion during the entire fusion and 15 minutes after. For my feet, I placed a ziplock sandwich bag full of ice on top of my toes and underneath my toes. I wore a pair of socks which I cut off leaving my toes exposed so the rest of my foot might be a little warmer. On top of the sandwich bags I placed a quart sized baggy and then taped around my ankle so the bag would hold on. My hands, I found some Rachael Ray hot pads with silicone on the back side at Walmart. They're the kind of hot pads that have an opening on top that you slide your hand into. It worked perfect! Again, I filled two sandwich bags with ice. I put the bags into the hot pad and then plunged my hands down into the pad wedging my fingers between the upper and lower ice bags. I then put the hot pads into a Ziploc gallon bag. I then filled my glass with ice chips and had my friend feed me the chips during the entire time. Obviously, this would not be possible without having a dear friend there doing all the work!

So, what did we decide we would change next time? We think we left the ice in the baggies too long because when it became water, some of the baggies leaked because they weren't sealed tight as they were over filled with ice. So next time, we decided we would change out the bags quicker and maintain them with solid ice longer. Instead of using tape around the bags on the feet, we determined that we would use Ace bandages so that we could wrap and unwrap them while positioning the bags as we needed to. Also, the Ace bandages would allow us to more easily remove the bags for refilling. The ice in the mouth process worked fine. While it was certainly cold, I had no problem diverting my mind away.

I had no pain at all when they accessed the port. Before I left home, I rubbed in a good size pea of Emla cream and then covered it with Glad Press and Seal because you don't have to use tape to keep it on. The nurse sprayed it with numbing spray which she said would sting. I didn't feel anything.

I drank water the whole time I was there. I had a snack of crackers and A friend brought lunch, but I could only eat a half of it. I wasn't sick on my stomach, I just wasn't hungry. I had a warm soft comfy blanket I snuggled in. They brought me warm blankets to put over my feet when I was icing

I'm keeping a journal of how I feel, what my blood counts were before I started the chemo today, how I feel, what medicine I took, and anything else pertinent. I'll be able to look back at it when I start the second round, knowing what happened the first time. I will also have a record should I need to tell the doctor anything.

I took Claritin the day before my chemo today and will for the next three days. The neulasta Pod was placed on my stomach instead of the back of my arm at my suggestion. The nurse said that was a great idea if people bump their arm and it bothers them. Also, if you lay on your side when you sleep it would be awkward. The neulasta injects 27 hours after it is put on. I am planning to take Motrin every 4 to 6 hours as well as the Claritin to head off any bone pain.

Tonight I just feel strange. I made dinner for my family and washed the dishes. I ate a very small plate of spaghetti but my taste buds were definitely off. The best way I can describe it is that it just tasted Bland with very little flavor. My head is a little swimmy and I'm a little shaky which I attribute to the steroids. I hate that I have to take steroids again tomorrow but know know it's all for a purpose. In addition, when I got home I took Zofran. I am going to take it every 8 hours for the next couple of days, including setting my alarm at night to not miss a dose. The doctor highly recommended it as even if I might not get sick without it, if I did get sick I would then be predisposed to get sick at every infusion because I would have the fear and the thought in my mind that I was going to be sick. So taking the Zofran prophylactically is a great idea. The only side effect to the Zofran is constipation. But I'm waiting to see if this perjeta causes diarrhea like they say that it does.

I'm off to bed! I hope this has been helpful and don't hesitate to ask any more questions should you need to. Prayers for everyone in the coming days!

• Upheld
    edited May 2017

forgot to add that the nurse told me massaging your feet in your hands with lotion really helps prevent neuropathy too. You need to keep moving both and your feet do not get the workout that your hands do in the way of movement. So a foot massage every night and covering your feet with a heavy cream and putting them into socks will help. You can also put your hands in cream and put them in gloves at night. She also said to cover your entire body with lotion as chemo really dries out and affects the skin. I like Eucerin because it's thick and it stays on. All the fruity and sweet smelling lotions are not heavy duty enough for this. I put OPI nail Polish on my fingernails and nail Polish on my toes like usual.

• Vivianlu8
    Vivianlu8 Member Posts: 113
    edited May 2017

Hi this is my first post in this site. I am starting chemo next wednesday FEC-D for 6 weeks. I am 46 with 4 children to take care. I plan to use the cold caps and try to save my hair. I am going to continue working as i saw that in this unfortunately C journey it keepsme distracted. I didn't tell anybody at my work and only my friends and family. That will make me feel better. I send all my best wishes to all of you. Thanks for the tips, this weekend i am going to go shopping to buy all the necessary things for the first round.

• hhuey
    hhuey Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2017

Hello ladies. I will be starting AC every 2 weeks for 4 rounds. After that I will be doing T with with herceptin and purjeta once a week for 12 weeks. Then I will have surgery and more targeted therapy after that. I feel like I am a double agent right now. Mom at home and patient on the side. I am keeping a positive attitude and wishing the best for us all as we begin this journey.

• Fancynancy5
    Fancynancy5 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2017

Hi Blueyedpisces. I was just informed today that I was going to need chemo and my treatment is identical to yours. I will start some day in June. I am terrified but these women are amazing support. So enjoy your Trip! You deserve it. Then let's keep each other posted on our progress.

• moodyblues
    edited June 2017

Vivian  sorry you are having to go through this, you are on a great site and everyone is encouraging.  It will help you through this and give you tips to help in each step.  ((hugs)

My first Chemo session went very well yesterday, no allergic reactions, thank the Lord!  Feel very tired from the Benadryl but, it may also be from the lack of sleep last night from the steroids.  Long day, arrived at 9 and left at 4.  Neulasta at 6:30 tomorrow evening via pump on stomach and I have been taking my Claritin to offset some of the pain that is associated with that.  Feeling good, feeling positive.

Cross posted 

• moodyblues
    edited June 2017

Limonia  Thank you for your encouragement.  I forgot to include you in my post above!  All went well!

• speedyteach
    speedyteach Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2017

I was able to get a dentist appointment in today to get my teeth cleaned and checked. They made sure there wasn't any infections. Since I had x-rays earlier this year, there was no need for those again. They also gave me samples of biotene as well as a pamphlet on how to care for my mouth during chemo. I am very thankful Rukoni's advise on getting a checkup done prior to starting chemo, it at least makes me feel like I have a little more to go in if sores in my mouth do develop.

Upheld-Thanks again for all the info on what you have learned/experienced so far.

hhuey, vivianlu8, fancynacy5-wishing you all the best as you start your treatments and that they go as smoothly as possible.

Moodyblues-Glad to hear your first session went well and hopefully you can get some rest to get caught back up on sleep.

MsLin-We have the same chemo regimen. Thank you for posting your experience so far. I will be starting mine next Friday and hoping it goes as smoothly as possible. I hope yours continues to be as SE free as possible.

• lilsuzq
    lilsuzq Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2017

Hi,

New here and still in 'pissed-off' mode. Everyone seems so upbeat here - and I'm just slumming. Feeling sorry for myself. I am still trying to come to grips with this. Starting on 6/19/17 with 6 cycles of TCHP - taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin with Herceptin to follow for one year. I am glad to read the posts but terrified of all the possible side effects and how I will cope.

• moodyblues
    edited June 2017

Lilsuz  It's okay to be ticked off and to feel confused especially with it being such a new diagnosis.  This site is so good, I promise that you will feel stronger and better after connecting and getting the support from you sister BC warriors.  I have come a ways and still have those days that I feel like this is not real.  I have finished #1 of chemo and I survived the first, now I will go every three weeks.  WE can do this!

• KimPossible818
    KimPossible818 Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2017

Hello everyone. I've been on the boards just a few weeks. I am two weeks post my LX and SNB and am feeling good from that. My start date for A&C and T begins June 16th. They want my port in one week before I start the chemo, so I will have that done on June 9th. Stay encouraged! I've been told the A&C will be the toughest and that Taxol will be easier. I am going to take it one treatment day at a time. I need to go wig shopping, though. I have naturally strawberry-blonde hair and would like to find something as close as possible. I have seen a lot of good wigs, but I will likely just wear a hat/scarf most of the time.

I've hung out in the lumpectomy lounge until now, but I thought since my chemo start date is official, I would join in here.