We are 224,835 members in 82 forums discussing 157,969 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: TAILORx: 70% of Women W/ Early-Stage, HR+, HER2- Can Skip Chemo

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Jun 4, 2018 03:22PM

Moderators wrote:

TAILORx Results Suggest About 70% of Women With Early-Stage, Hormone-Receptor-Positive, HER2-Negative Disease Can Skip Chemotherapy
June 4, 2018

Results from the TAILORx study show that about 70% of women diagnosed with hormone-receptor-positive, HER2-negative, node-negative breast cancer do not need chemotherapy after surgery. Read more...

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)

Posts 1 - 25 (25 total)

Feb 6, 2019 12:12PM JenS48 wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to see what others in similar situations to my own have chosen to do about chemotherapy and why you made that choice. I'm 48 1/2 years old with stage 1A ER and PR positive, HER2 negative ductal carcinoma. I chose to be aggressive and have both breasts removed due to having very dense breast tissue which did not reveal my tumor on mammogram alone. I'm very happy with that decision as my collateral breast analysis post surgery revealed precancerous cells (whew!). I've been advised to have hormone suppressant therapy for at least five years once I begin. Today marks three weeks since my surgery.

Two days ago my Oncotype DX score came back at 19. I've done a tremendous amount of reading to try to be as informed as I can be prior to meeting with an oncologist about my treatment options. My surgeon, who is wonderful, said if my Oncotype came back above 16, I should have chemotherapy as well as the hormone suppression. In looking at the risks associated with chemo, I'm not sure where I stand. I'd love to know more from women who had similar circumstances. I promised my children and husband I'd be aggressive in treating this beast, but I don't want to be foolish about increasing other health risks for what I've been told is a 1-2% decrease in recurrance risk.

Thanks for your thoughts!

JenS48

Feb 18, 2019 11:36AM Pamela23 wrote:

My personal opinion and I'm sure you'll get a TON of others to back me up is that a score of 19 is NOT worth the risk of chemo side effects on your body. The studies back it up as well as the newest study above has. PLEASE get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Chemo changes your life, and not for the better. You should see on your Oncotype results sheet they give you as to how much your risk will go down. I had a score of 28, which gave me a risk of 18% of distant recurrence. I could go down to 12% with chemo. Two and a half years later, I'm STILL dealing with side effects (and so are many in the group I connected with going through it at the same time). I was 47 at diagnosis. It will change you physically and psychologically for years. It's the worst experience I ever went through and it really effects your husband and kids as well. Again, please get a few more opinions. I am happy to email you personally if you have any more questions.

9/15/2016, IDC, Left, 5mm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2016, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/6/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 11/15/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/20/2017

Feb 18, 2019 11:18PM Jackster51 wrote:

I 100% agree with Pamela!

Sep 24, 2019 01:29AM SeattleSunshine wrote:

I am also in a quandary. I am 67. My oncotype was 27, just a smidge over the magic 25. further investigation shows that for my age, 30 was “intermediate” and wasn’t really part of the TAILORx calculations and trial. I would prefer not to do chemo but I am not confident in my decision

Sep 24, 2019 08:30AM Beesie wrote:

SeattleSunshine, if not already done, ask your MO to run the Oncotype RSPC (Recurrence Score Pathology Clinical) computer model to see what your recurrence risk is with your 27 score but also incorporating your age and pathology factors. The question is what your metastatic risk is without chemo and how much chemo will reduce this risk. Then it's a very personal decision as to whether that amount of risk reduction makes chemo worthwhile for you.

The Oncotype RSPC is discussed in these other threads and you can see how it changed the results (vs. the generic info you get in the Oncotype report) and helped with decisions:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/873163?page=1#post_5446357

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/96/topics/871060?page=1#post_5388140

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/872432?page=1#post_5434683

If you do a search on the discussion board and input "RSPC" you will find other who have had their MOs use this model, with helpful results.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Sep 24, 2019 07:56PM - edited Sep 24, 2019 08:05PM by DorothyB

Seattle Sunshine - my score was 29 and I am 61 years old. My med onc would not run the RSPC so couldn't use that. I did finally decide to opt out of chemo. I never had peace with doing chemo. One of the things I found was a table that the board won't let me post a picture of. If you go to this link, www.oncotypeiq.com/en-US/breas... and click some of the links, it gives some information on risk that (again) probably isn't as accurate as the RSPC if your dr will run that.

Diag. 4/19/2019 ER+ PR+ HER2 neg Lumpectomy 5/29/2019 IDC w/ DICS 2.0 cm Grade 3

Oct 2, 2019 09:51PM - edited Oct 2, 2019 10:20PM by kaaadams

OK ladies, I really appreciate your input and what I've read here so far. Seattle Sunshine has some good info and confirms my feelings. My Oncotype is 28. I know they call that "high risk", but other info says it may be intermediate risk. My Onc doc recommends chemo and says she wouldn't if it was 24 or lower, which agrees with all the literature. I'm 59, had a mastectomy with a flap immediate reconstruction. I am stage IIA, had all negative lymph nodes, axillary and sentinel. I'm willing to do an aromatase inhibitor but scared to death of long term adverse effects of chemo. I'm an RN also; educated and informed. 28 says on my report I have 17% "absolute" recurrence risk, which will decrease to 10% if I do chemo first, then AI. But my "relative" risk is brought down 30% by chemo. This is a numbers game ladies, and I'm not too pleased to know if I was 24, no chemo, but if 25 (or 28 like mine is) chemo should be done. Not much wiggle room here! Please let me know your opinions. I value these greatly, as I've found that no doctors or studies mention the quality of life after chemo. Guess there's no money to be made there by big pharma, huh?

Oct 3, 2019 06:18AM DebAL wrote:

hi kathy,

Our situations are similar! My oncotype was 27, similar stats, RN as well. Very little wiggle room as you said. I haven't found anyone thrilled to do chemo. I was PR neg and also high ki67 which weighed in my decision to do chemo. There is literature to support chemo may benefit is why i chose that route. No guarantees of course. Many forgo chemo as well and move on to AI. Its a tough call.

There is really no right or wrong choice, just the one that we feel is best for us. This disease does what it wants unfortunately regardless of what we do.

In my experience, chemo was doable and easier than expected. We all are different. If I had to choose I find more side effects with the AI but not enough to stop taking it.

You mentioned quality of life after chemo. Again, for me ,life is good right now. Moving forward enjoying life

Wishing you the best in your decision!!

Dx 1/22/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/11/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 2/12/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 4/2/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 6/13/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/8/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/19/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery

Oct 3, 2019 08:17AM Boston12 wrote:

I had a high score so chemo was a given. But I have to say, I didn't have a bad time with it. It's no fun, but I was able to work through it (with some days off) and just took it easy. I had TCX4. I'm year out and and active and healthy. This fear of recurrence is my most significant issue - cancer is hard emotionally.

Oct 3, 2019 09:10AM DebAL wrote:

hi Boston, I agree. The fear comes in waves for me. Ebbs and flows. Fear is not in the forefront of my daily life but it definitely looms. Check up time is unsettling. I wonder "is this the day that my life could change again" I hope what I feel is normal. I really don't try to live up to my name "Debbie downer" lol

Dx 1/22/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/11/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 2/12/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 4/2/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 6/13/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/8/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/19/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery

Oct 3, 2019 11:04AM kaaadams wrote:

Thank you Deb. Happy to hear you’re doing well post chemo. My ki67 was 90% and I’m leaning toward chemo, then AI. Just seems so crazy that I can get a mastectomy, have all lymph nodes clear, then still need chemo! I am very ER+, so accepting AI is easier. Hope I’m like you and get thru chemo easier than AI!

I’m just scared to death to do chemo, TC every 3 weeksx4. Scared of an allergic reaction killing me, since I’ve been very allergic to just about anything green my whole life. (The TC being a yew, or taxus derivative scares me.) Scared of Infections due to my immunosuppressed state, low RBC and WBC counts, anemia, thrombocytopenia, neutropenia, etc. Plus, I’m going to be doing chemo during the winter flu season and fear the risk is greater for infections at this time of year.

I cannot work at my hospital, as I do hemodialysis in ICU and our unit has many patients in various isolation for infections. I am fortunate that my husband is the main breadwinner and is a union member, so we have good insurance and won’t have $$ worries during my time off. My manager said she’ll have a job for me whenever I return, no worries about work. I’m blessed in those regards.

Besides my fear that chemo may kill me, my main concern is long term effects of chemo. ie: “chemo brain”/cognitive deficits, peripheral neuropathy, leukemia, cardio toxicity, etc. My husband and I have decided to retire next year (because of his earlier heart attack, and now my cancer) and our joy is camping and hiking. I don’t want the chemo to leave me with lifelong deficits that lower my quality of life.

Does anyone know if they’re ANY studies on long term health effects due to chemo? It seems the docs just want to recommend the immediate treatment and not address the very real concerns of risk statistics on long term chemo effects

Oct 3, 2019 12:26PM trinigirl50 wrote:

Four years later (so not very long term, I know), I have neuropathy from the Taxotere. I had to stop Taxol because I got pneumonitis (reaction) which put me a week in hospital but I was okay thereafter. I changed to Taxotere and now have permanently thinned eyebrows and eyelashes. I had digestion issues and sinus issues which eventually resolved after second year. My WBC are now always low (around 3.5) but everything else has gone back to normal.

I mainly recovered from chemotherapy pretty well (apart from the neuropathy). Most of my issues are with the AIs. I don't think it's simply growing older as the AI SEs were immediate for me, and I was a very healthy person otherwise.

Letrozole = brain fog, thinning hair on head, osteopenia, exacerbated arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fatigue, slight depression, rising cholesterol and sugar levels, bone stiffness, anxiety (or maybe that's just PTSD).

There is one lady (Stage 3 thread, Sugarplum I think) who has had heart issues due to chemo, I believe it took a long while to present.

I have a friend who is 11 years out after intense chemo and she has no issues whatsoever. Although she said it took about two years for everything to go back to normal. So really it's how your body responds.

You have a hard choice to make. Good luck. I don't regret doing any of it, but of course I didn't really have a choice being stage 3.

trinigirl50 Dx 3/7/2015, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 20/24 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2015 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/13/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/1/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 3, 2019 04:21PM Hopeful82014 wrote:

I've posted this elsewhere on the site. It seems relevant to those of you who are node-negative with Oncotype scores between 26-100.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/919336?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=153476CT&impID=2117707&faf=1#vp_1

Dx IDC

Oct 3, 2019 05:56PM DebAL wrote:

kaaadams, many here understand your fears. Everyone responds differently. I wish I could bottle up my experience for everyone.

I took every Monday - Wed off during chemo then back to work. I did administrative duties and minimal patient care during that time. That's great you have the option to stay home. And we have more in common..my husband had a triple bypass a year before my diagnosis. I understand your thoughts on retirement! Best wishes on the path that you choose. There will be plenty of support here for you.

Trinigirl, I get the brain fog! I think its more the AI. Its weird I still don't miss a beat at work. More issues at home lol. To be honest my forgetfulness is probably because I wasn't listening in the first place!!

Hopeful, thanks to living up to your name and sharing the link! Much appreciated.

I hope everyone is feeling well

Oct 3, 2019 06:35PM wanderweg wrote:

Great link, Hopeful! It's very reassuring and reinforces the idea that chemo was a sound choice for me.

kaaadams - You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who was more afraid of chemo than me. I mean, flat out terrified. So much so that I hesitated even when confronted with an oncotype score of 38. But after researching and talking with my sons, I did TCX4. I didn't enjoy it but it was far less awful than I'd feared. I'm almost a year out from my last treatment and as far as I can tell, have no lingering side effects. A little brain fog at times but that could as easily be the tamoxifen. Of course it varies for everyone, but the first oncologist I consulted with said the worst TC side effects generally happen with 5 or 6 treatments, rather than four. I took a week off with each round and worked the other two weeks and did fine. I was pretty tired by the last round and ready for my hair to start growing back, but every side effect I had during chemo was temporary and managed with meds and rest. I feel good these days and am active and travel (just got back from a great trip to Iceland that included hiking). Psychologically, chemo was helpful too because I felt like I was doing everything I could to increase my odds of disease-free survival. I'm not telling you what to do, of course, just thought it might be helpful to read another account of chemo not being as terrible as you imagine.

weakly ER+, TNBC on oncotype Dx 5/10/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 6/10/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/6/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Chemotherapy 8/31/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 3, 2019 07:14PM Hopeful82014 wrote:

Deb and Wanderweg - thank you! It's good to know that info was helpful.

Dx IDC

Nov 5, 2019 05:39PM mac5 wrote:

kaaadams - I have approached my Treatment decision a bit differently. My MO explained the TailoRX Study specifically excluded women with a tumor over 5 cm and those women whose DX was a second Primary or a recurrence.

For me that was a game changer. I had both neoadjuvant therapy 9 years ago with AI after MX. My Recurrence Rate was stated as 5-6% possibility of Recurrence. But it came back.

The side effects from the AIs were much worse than from 8 months of chemotherapy. And to be honest, I didn’t think a year of Endocrine Therapy before Surgery this time around was the best option for me. I’m 69 years old.

Not everyone looks at things the same way. And discoveries are made every day. I just am offering a different view

Dx 7/20/2010, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 9/5/2019, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Nov 5, 2019 05:51PM AnnC2019 wrote:

The OncoDX report I have only references 1-3 positive micromets. What if you have a macromet? Mine is 4mm, LVI no extension. How do you extrapolate the data if the details don’t line up completely

Dx 6/19/2019, ILC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 8/14/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/27/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 11/4/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Nov 10, 2019 03:55PM vbishop wrote:

My oncotype score was 7. Diagnosed stage 1a, grade 2. Chemo was not part of the treatment plan. 6 years later, I now have metastatic breast cancer. So, flipping off the research! But I cant question the decisions my doctor and I made about my treatment plan. It wont change anything! My frustration is I had a false sense of security. I had no idea that 30% of women diagnosed with early stage cancer will metastasize. I believed the false narrative that early detection meant I could beat this. At the 5 year mark, my doctor said I was cured. I reminded him that he said there is no cure. He agreed but still liked my odds. We elected to stay on the AI inhibitors another five years to lower my odds of recurrence even more. My annual blood work NEVER showed any cancer markers, so the new diagnosis was a shock.

I blame myself for not doing more independent research. I am not sure it would have changed anything, but I would have continued to be on high alert, instead of relaxing a bit. And that is my message for anyone who listens. Stay vigilant. Listen to your body. For me? I will continue to live my best life everyday, however long that is.

I am documenting my journey in my blog. It helps. Feel free to stop by.

https://vjbishop.blogspot.com

Sassy, classy, still kicking Sassy! Visit my blog vjbishop.blogspot.com Dx 9/8/2013, LCIS/ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/28/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 10/8/2013 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 12/23/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Nov 10, 2019 04:05PM Lisey wrote:

I was 40 years old when diagnosed and a 20 Oncotype. I did not have chemo, even though I had a higher KI value. 35%. I was grade 2. When push came to shove, before TailorX results came out for intermediates I was at a huge loss... so I got a second opinion in the Mammaprint/BluePrint test. It's like the Oncotype but has no intermediate value. I was 'low risk' so that made my decision.. and I'm grateful I didn't elect chemo. A dear friend with BC, low stage who had chemo just died of a heart attack completely unexpectedly. She had young children. It is my belief the chemo weakened / damaged her heart.

Oncotype =20, ER 95%, PR 5%, ki67= 30%, Mammoprint = Low, Blueprint = Luminal A!!!! TEs= Iron Bra of Death - not worth all the complications for foobs that I'll never feel. Flat and fealess now. Dx 5/11/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 6/14/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/6/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 7/14/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 10, 2019 07:49PM wanderweg wrote:

vbishop, that's heart-breaking. But all you can do is make the decisions based on what the research shows to date. Would being more vigilant have changed anything? It's just a crapshoot with this fucking disease. Thanks for the blog link, on my way over.

weakly ER+, TNBC on oncotype Dx 5/10/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 6/10/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/6/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Chemotherapy 8/31/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 11, 2019 09:38AM vbishop wrote:

wonderweg - with lobular carcinoma, it doesnt present as a lump or lumps. More like a thickening. Hard to detect, even with imaging. We honestly thought it was lymphoma. Even my doc was surprised - again, no cancer markers showed up. So. In answer to your question, I doubt if staying vigilant would have changed much. I was diagnosed with lymphedema in July, 6 yrs post lymph node biopsy. Turns out, that was a symptom of my recurrence. Maybe I would have pushed harder for an explanation on the sudden lymphedema?

I could play the shoukda, woulda, coulda game all day and it wont change anything. We are where we are. I am hopeful.

Truth be told, I never wanted chemo. I still would take the 7% odds and consider myself very lucky. Still not a fan of all this poison in my body. But it does appear to be working. You are correct. It's a crap shoot. More research!

Onward!

Sassy, classy, still kicking Sassy! Visit my blog vjbishop.blogspot.com Dx 9/8/2013, LCIS/ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/28/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 10/8/2013 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 12/23/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Nov 11, 2019 03:43PM Hopeful82014 wrote:

AnnC2019 - You may have figured this out already but if you're looking at a node positive Oncotype report, it will refer to 1-3 positive nodes/macromets. I don't recall how it categorizes micromets. The question's something to raise with your MO or her/his nurse but if you had a macromet you're probably looking at the correct report for your situation.

Dx IDC

Nov 11, 2019 06:36PM wanderweg wrote:

vbishop - That's what I was thinking - that all the "high alert" in the world probably wouldn't have changed anything. And maybe relaxing in between the initial diagnoses and the mets at least gave you that time less encumbered by what was ahead. I hear you about never wanting chemo - I was scared silly about being poisoned. The 38 score I got made it hard to say no to.

Nov 11, 2019 10:05PM vbishop wrote:

wonderweg - good points. I remember how scared i wasv the first couple of years, then getting to the point that cancer was no longer a daily thought. And now I cant make many plans for the next few months while we get this sucker under control. Funny hoevthings workout sometimes. Sigh ...

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)