We are 224,828 members in 82 forums discussing 157,962 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: BCO Podcast: Neuropathy: Causes and Treatments

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Aug 17, 2018 01:55PM

Moderators wrote:

Neuropathy: Causes and Treatments

August 8, 2018

Stubblefield

Michael Stubblefield, M.D. is medical director of cancer rehabilitation at the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in New Jersey and the national medical director for Select Medical's ReVital Cancer Rehabilitation program. He is known around the world for his expertise in the identification, evaluation, and rehabilitation of pain and functional disorders caused by cancer and cancer treatments, particularly problems caused by radiation and chemotherapy. Dr. Stubblefield is an accomplished researcher and has published extensively on medical rehabilitation, oncology, pain management, palliative care, and neurophysiology.

Listen to the podcast to hear Dr. Stubblefield explain:

• what neuropathy is, how it happens, and the treatments that can cause it
  • how to explain neuropathy to friends and family
  • risk factors for neuropathy
  • treatments for neuropathy
  • the three things that anyone diagnosed with neuropathy should know

Running time: 31:32

Listen now or read the transcript

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 15, 2018 03:22PM nonahope wrote:

Enduring debilitating neuropathy from Taxol infusions, I thoroughly enjoyed this podcast. Very informative.

Nov 24, 2018 10:23PM - edited Nov 24, 2018 10:24PM by wrmbrownie

Thanks for posting that article. Yep, good info. I have neuropathy (mainly feet/toes and fingers.) I wish I had special socks or something that made my feet feel good. 

Dx 1/8/2015, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 9/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 1/30/2015 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 4/24/2015 AC Surgery 7/28/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Radiation Therapy 9/1/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 10/15/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 4, 2019 12:25PM Sylviamorrissmith wrote:

14 years post treatment I am walking with a cane, have frequent falls, can't feel my feet and fingers. I was reading forums about discoloration of nails, loss of nails, care of nails. Usually the conversations surround cosmetics. But the nail abnormalities are an indication of a bigger problem. Nerves are being destroyed. Possibly resulting in a lifelong disability. During treatment, nail abnormalities should be carefully monitored and treatment adjusted or discontinued if permanent disability is a possibilíty.

Jan 4, 2019 02:58PM Moderators wrote:

Sylviamorrissmith, welcome to Breastcancer.org. We are sorry to hear about what you are going through. Have you discussed these changes with your treatment team? Have you received physical therapy? Take a look here, in case there are any additional helpful points: Neuropathy.

Thinking of you All,

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)