Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo February 2020

I searched and didn’t find a thread so I guess I am the 1st one lol.

I am starting chemo on 2/6. DDAC every two weeks, 4 times w/ Neulasta. Then Taxol weekly for 12 weeks.

Who else is starting?

Comments

• hray1993
    hray1993 Member Posts: 220
    edited January 2020

I'm starting in feb! Hoping to start on feb 6 as well but it depends how quick tests come back. If not then, then I'll for sure start feb 13. AC chemo I believe will be first. 4 treatments one every 2 weeks so 8 weeks total then taxol chemo once a week for 12 weeks. I will also have the Neulasta.

• scatteredenergy
    scatteredenergy Member Posts: 320
    edited January 2020

hray1993, good luck to you. I guess our treatment is pretty common. Are you ready? I'm making lists and making sure I gavw everything that I'll need to make my life easier once I start.

• Craftylife61
    Craftylife61 Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2020

I will probably be starting the week of February 10th. I get my port February 4th and see the MO on the 7th. So I do not know my treatment plan yet. I’ve had a lumpectomy and had clear margins and clear nodes.

This is my second time with chemo. I had triple negative five years ago in my right breast and survived that. Now I have a new primary cancer in my left breast, also TN. I did not have Adriamycin last time and I’m concerned about its possible effects on my heart. I’m having a 3D echo on Monday.

Scatteredenergy, I know they will tell me things to get when I go on the 7th, but would you mind sharing your list with me? Thank you for starting this thread.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

Craftylife61, I'm so sorry. I couldn't imagine going through this again.

My lists consists of:

- New plastic shower curtain, the one that goes on the inside to decrease the chance of bacteria.

- Deep clean apt. a few days before chemo.

- Clean car a few days before chemo.

- Big bottle of hand sanitizer for office and travel size bottles for all my purses.

- Big container of antibacterial wipes for office and travel size ones for all my purses.

- Sterile gloves. I forgot what for but I got them lol

- Reusable rubber gloves to do dishes and another pair for when I clean the house/floors.

- Get chemo bag ready. I bought one that is cloth so I can wash it. I don't want to bring shit from the hospital to the house.

- Mouth masks. I got the disposable ones but I want to get some nice ones that I can reuse.

- Put a Clorox bottle and paper towels in my bathroom so I can clean when I use it.

- Comfortable clothes. I bought a bunch of PJs with button down shirts that will work for after my bilateral as well. I also bought a bunch of sweatpants and I'm loving them, super comfy.

- Non alcoholic mouthwash.

- Aluminum free deodorant. I already got some and I'm loving them.

- Go grocery shopping, do laundry, and ironing a few days before chemo.

- Make sure to get all pertinent prescriptions filled.

That's it for now. I'll keep reading and watching videos to get ideas.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

I'm still deciding if to wear make up to chemo or not lol. I saw a video and the lady said, "when you look sick you feel sick". That got me thinking but I also find comfort in sweatpants and a tshirt lol

• cynd724
    cynd724 Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2020

Finishing chemo dose dense ACT on January 30th. Just wanted to quickly write that I used the Digni Cap and it worked! I still have my hair. You can try it and stop at anytime. Not cheap and it’s extremely cold the first 20 minutes then you get numb to it. It also makes treatments much longer. If it works it just motivates you to keep using it. My hair shed a lot but I have full coverage still. Just thinning by part and top of head a little. I can go to stores etc and no one knows I am going through chemo. I bought a wig as a back up but never needed it I started with very fine hair So not sure if that helped. The cap has to fit well and the nurse should be very well trained in how to use it . Best of luck if you try it

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

Cynd724, that's great. I looked into it and didn't like the risk and can't afford the price lol

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

How's everyone doing?

I had dental work done on Monday that couldn't wait. Thank God it wasn't as bad as I thought.

I have my Port Surgery at 6:30 a.m. on the 30th and that afternoon I have my Echo appt. I don't know how that will work lol

I feel like I still have so many things to cross out from the list before my port surgery since I can't do strenuous activities for two weeks after.

• Craftylife61
    Craftylife61 Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2020

ScatteredEnergy, thanks for sharing your list. Very helpful!

I had my echo Monday. It involves an ultrasound wand between your breasts and under the left breast. You lie on your back and left side for about 10 minutes while they capture images and video.

Don’t stress about getting too much done. I agree about the makeup making you feel better. I will definitely use my eyebrow wand as long as I have eyebrows!

Cynd724, the Dignicap is not available in my area. I looked into the Penguin cold capping but felt it was too much work, especially for my husband. He’s been so wonderful I just didn’t want to add to his work load. I lost my hair before and wore the headwraps. Enough hair came back 4 months after my last chemo that I went without the headwraps. Don’t get me wrong, I’m devastated to lose it again.

I’m feeling frustrated. It will be at least thirteen weeks from the mammogram that found my lump to chemo. Doesn’t that seem too long?

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

Craftylife6, I hope they can do the echo the same day as my port. If not, we have an issue lol

It will be 9 weeks after I was diagnosed that I'll start chemo. They wanted to do it earlier but I had to get that dental work done. I don't know if 13 weeks is too long because i also think it depends on your diagnosis.

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    edited January 2020

Hello to everyone, I am in the Jan chemo group and started my chemo on Jan 21st, so today is day 4. I am doing 8 treatments, AC/T, every other week. A couple of items you may want to think about adding to your list: a pill organizer (Mon, Tues, Wed,,, am/pm). Prior to all this I took one pill a day, my antidepressant. Now I take quite a few and it is very helpful to have them all organized, especially for the first few days after chemo. If you are having Neulasta, I would talk to your doctor about taking Claritin to help minimize side effects. Some women have shared that they just take Claritin the day before their Neulesta shot and for several days after. My doctor told me that I could just take Claritin daily throughout my treatment. I had the Neulesta shot on Wed and so far haven't felt any bone pain. I know we all experience chemo differently, I have found that I have very strong feelings about food - what does/doesn't appeal to me. Oatmeal, bananas, vanilla yogurt and hard boiled eggs are my go to's right now. I drink water primarily, but also find that I want a ginger ale every now and then. I have also been wearing loose/comfy clothes - anything that is easy to shed for when a hot flash decides to present itself.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

Maddy83f, thank you. I created a medication log in my breast cancer planner to keep track of that. I'll look into an organizer once I see how many I'll be taking.

I'll also be taking Neulasta but I'll be through my arm and the machine will do it automatically. My MO did say she might prescribe me Claritin.

My diet is really limited since I'm very picky so I'm hoping chemo doesn't screw it up too much lol

Thanks for coming and giving us your input. Good luck in your journey.

• texasmama
    texasmama Member Posts: 129
    edited January 2020

Hello! I have my port placed on January 31 and I'll start TC on February 3. I'm trying to do all I can to prepare. I've purchased mouthwash and gum to prevent mouth sores, natracare cold therapy socks to help prevent neuropathy, and beanies for my bald head.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

TexasMama, welcome. I have read that to prevent mouth sores and neuropathy cold works best. So while getting chemo try to keep ice cold water or ice chips in your mouth. The place I will be doing my chemo at will give me two containers with ice, one for my hands, another one for my feet. Maybe your place provides the same thing if you ask.

• hray1993
    hray1993 Member Posts: 220
    edited January 2020

What’s everyone doing about hair loss? Anyone already shave their head before chemo starts? Orare you waiting till it starts falling out? I can’t decide if I want to go ahead and shave it off or wait till it starts falling out

• texasmama
    edited January 2020

I think I’ll get a short haircut shortly after starting chemo. I don’t want to see large clumps of hair falling out. I’m toying around with dying it purple since this is the only time I’d dare do such a thing.Once it starts falling out, I’ll probably grab my husband’s clippers and buzz it.

Have you decided what to do when you have no hair? Wigs sound too uncomfortable to me. I ordered a few chemo caps. A couple of them looked just awful on me, so I sent them back. The newsboy cap looked decent so I’m ordering a couple more.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

I have read that you are not supposed to shave it so you don't get ingrown hairs. I did cut it short though. And I already bought some scarves and I'm getting used to them.

Here's my hair before:

Here's my hair now:

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

TexasMama, I bought one wig. I tried it at home and it looks strange and feels a bit uncomfortable. I really want to embrace my bold head or wear scarves. I would love to also wear different hairs styles and colored wigs but with the heat in my city I dont think I'll handle it lol

• Maddy83f
    edited January 2020

I am on day 8 from my first treatment - bouncing back and forth between Jan group and this group. I am having my head shaved here at home on Friday evening by my hairdresser with my best friend and husband with me - they plan on drinking champagne - I will still to ginger ale!

I have never heard of ingrown hairs being a problem - I will let you all know. I have ordered some hats from headcovers.com - I think they have a great variety and I have ordered a bunch, tried on with hair net to see how they would look - and then returned the ones that didn't work for me. They have a great return policy - the site was founded by a woman who had BC and couldn't find hats that worked for her.

I got a wig from the boutique at the medical facility where I have my appointments/treatment. I did get some coverage from my insurance - though I have to admit I was surprised at the cost. I also got a 'Halo' that is basically a short bob hair cut that I can wear under my hats. I am sure that I will wear the halo a lot - don't know how much I will wear the wig. Like many, I have heard they are/can be itchy - but a friend who has been through all this told me that I should get a wig because there will likely be a time or two where I will want to have it to wear to an event where I don't want to look like a cancer patient.

I live in Ohio and will be done with my treatments by the end of April - so I won't have to deal with hot weather for my treatments - its the 'after treatment' period of time when my hair will (hopefully) be growing back that I am more concerned about. I know that when I am done with radiation and all the 'treatments' are behind me that I will not want to still look like a patient.....

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

Maddy83f, how was your first treatment?

• Maddy83f
    edited January 2020

My first treatment went well. My treatment is 4 A/C every other week, and then 4 "T". The nurse had me eat popsicles while I had the "red devil" - I was also offered ice chips. Here is a summary of my notes:

Day 1: took nap after treatment. had mild headache in evening and drank a lot of water and by evening my hands were swollen (water retention) because I didn't have to go to bathroom much. that night had major night sweats and went to bathroom a lot.

Day 2: woke up feeling great! surprised because of the night sweats and up so much. walked 4 miles - and went for neulesta shot - didn't feel it (had been worried because I have never had shot in belly before

Day 3/4 Was fatigued - felt good, just tired. couldn't sleep - wasn't interested in reading/watching tv - just laid down a lot with eyes closed. Still able to walk an hour each day

Days 5-today - have felt really good - have walked every day. Only "SE" is that I only want to eat vanilla yogurt, bananas, or the protein packs from Starbucks (either the one with hard boiled eggs or cheese/crackers). I also drink ginger ale in addition to water. I sometimes feel almost nauseous when I get hungry - so I take an anti nausea pill usually one time a day - usually in late afternoon or evening. I haven't napped since days 3/4.

I do brush with Biotene after I eat and use the Biotene mouthwash after brushing.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask any questions!

• texasmama
    edited January 2020

ScatteredEnergy- Your short hair looks great! That’s similar to what I’m thinking of doing with mine.

Maddy83f- I’m glad to hear that you’re doing well! I hope you continue to have minimal side effects. It’s encouraging to hear that you have walked everyday. I’m hoping to do the same. I think it’s so important for healing.

I have a flurry of upcoming appointments. CT scan Thursday, Chemo Teach Friday morning, port placement Friday afternoon, and first infusion Monday morning. Phew

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

TexasMama, wow, yours is moving quick. I dont start chemo until exactly a week after my port gets put in.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

For those that already had their port put in, how did you feel after waking up from surgery? Did it hurt? Could you feel the line?

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited January 2020

Hello,scatteredenergy

Yes it would hurt the day after port placement. Tylenol and ice pack helps. Since port will be right below your skin you would feel small bump.

Please be gentle to yourself

• Maddy83f
    edited January 2020

My port is on the left side - so when I would drive, the seatbelt, over my shoulder, bothered it. I still put the seatbelt under my arm because I don't like how it feels over the port. About 30 minutes to an hour before your treatment, put about a quarter size of the numbing cream on it, and then put a small square of of plastic wrap over that and you shouldn't feel anything when they access your port. Best wishes!

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

Castigame, I need to go buy Tylenol lol

Maddy83f, yes, I thought of that. I will just put a folded hand towel over it to stop the seatbelt from bothering it. Hopefully it works. And yes, my MO will give me the numbing cream. My boss told me that she used to do the same thing you do.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

Port surgery time.

• bkerber
    bkerber Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2020

Good luck scattered.

• scatteredenergy
    edited January 2020

I'm done and on my way home. All I have is soreness at the site and a very achy and sore throat.