Join Us

We are 216,296 members in 84 forums discussing 160,161 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Starting Chemo April 2020

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Mar 25, 2020 02:16PM - edited Jun 20, 2020 12:21AM by jelloelloello

jelloelloello wrote:

Hey everyone! I'm starting the group for those of us starting chemotherapy in April 2020 (or the end of March, whatever works for you). Please join in!

I actually don't know my start date yet... I'm waiting to find out if I was approved for a clinical trial, which will determine my treatment plan and start date. The call/email should come this week, so I'm just anxiously waiting for it, but the plan is to start chemo next week. My treatment plan is 5-6 months of chemotherapy (AC-T), mastectomy plus lymph nodes, then radiation.

This is a super weird time to be dealing with cancer and the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic, but I think sharing the weirdness, frustrations, questions and positive thoughts with each other will be helpful.

Thanks! Much aloha!

Jess

-------------------------

APRIL 2020 ROLL CALL

Username (name we can call you) - [location] - known or likely start date for chemo

• ARmom4 (Kelly) - [Arkansas, USA] - 3/27 / 4/17
  • AuthorSpot (Stacey) - [Illinois, USA] - 3/31
  • bazcla (Claud) - [Texas, USA] - 5/14
  • Bon43 (Bonnie) - [Nova Scotia, Canada] - 4/6
  • BostonGal (Allie) - [Massachusetts, USA] - 4/16
  • ByHisGraceTwice ( j ) - [Texas, USA] - 4/1
  • CCgirl (Nan) - [Massachusetts, USA] - 5/4 (but we're keeping her in the April family!)
  • CocoB122 - [Kansas, USA] - 4/?
  • Dawn1027 (Dawn) - end of April
  • Debra1111 (Debra) - 4/15
  • Dup403 - [Alberta, Canada] - 3/31
  • Emmyvan - [New York, USA] - 4/2
  • Faith2020 (Faith) - [Texas, USA] - 4/9
  • HI109 (Emma) - [New York, USA] - 3/31
  • hnsquared (Heather) - [Colorado, USA] - 4/1
  • hog_co-pilot (Les) - 4/30
  • Hurricaneblair (Erin) - [Illinois, USA] - 4/9
  • ipenelope (Katie) - [Minnesota, USA] - 4/20
  • JavaJana (Jana) - [Texas, USA] - 4/8
  • jelloelloello (Jess) - [California, USA] - 4/2
  • Jettie - 3/11 (started in March but there's room for everyone in the April family!)
  • JustyneF (Justyne) - [Illinois, USA] - 4/6
  • LiseC (Lise) - [Florida, USA] - 4/10
  • Molly5678 (Molly) - 4/15
  • Mudstick - 4/22
  • NicoleRod (Nicole) - 4/23
  • Oldest4Sis (Michelle) - [Delaware, USA] - 4/2
  • pennythepest (Penny) - 1/3... then a break... then started again in May
  • pjb61 - [Illinois, USA] - 4/20
  • Shareliz54 - [Nova Scotia, Canada] - 4/24
  • ShellyRM (Shelly) - [California, USA] - 4/22
  • Smitty1963 - 4/24
  • Sueshe55 (Robin) - [Florida, USA] - 5/26
  • Sugar77 (Sherri) - [Mississauga, Canada] - 4/3
  • sunandsea (Vilija) - [California, USA] - 4/30
  • wahoomama87 (Kris) - [Georgia, USA] - 4/10
  • zee72 (Zarin) - [Dubai, UAE] - 4/7

*** NEW! Join our private Facebook group! ***

If you're interested in connecting with us on Facebook, send a PM to wahoomama87 (Kris). Be sure to give her your email address that you use for FB. That's the only way she can "find" you to invite you, since we're not "friends" on there (yet)!

Dx 2/13/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 4/2/2020 AC + T (Taxol)

Page 29 of 29 (861 results)

Posts 841 - 861 (861 total)

Jun 21, 2020 12:36PM BostonGal wrote:

Nan,

I don't like they did not return call. My center instructs that if you do not get a response within 30 minutes when you call your on call provider, you are to call back. That happened once to me and they attributed the missing call back to change of shift. My regular oncologist was then notified and got back to me. You are a smart lady with more experience at this than I so I know you will do the right thing. I hope you are feeling better and your temp is down.

Allie

Dx 1/2020, ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, 4/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Surgery 8/31/2020 Lymph node removal: Right

Jun 21, 2020 12:38PM BostonGal wrote:

Nan, This might be a double post but when I submitted my response to you, it disappeared! I'll try again!

I was told by my center that if I don't get a call back within 30 minutes I'm supposed to call back. I had one missed call back that was attributed to a change of shift and so my regular onocologist was notified and she called me. I'm glad your temp is down and hope it continues its way down and that you feel better asap if not right away!!!

Allie

Dx 1/2020, ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, 4/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Surgery 8/31/2020 Lymph node removal: Right

Jun 28, 2020 09:12AM TxMom3 wrote:

Hi Katie - I started Chemo in Feb. 2020 and had AC followed by 12 Taxol. Had 11th Taxol Thursday and toenails on big toes are sore and dark pink this weekend. Searched on toenail loss and found your post. Did your toenail grow back? I have been icing during Taxol infusion and for another hour or so when I get home. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks! -Kathryn

Dx 12/17/2019, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 14/35 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/22/2020 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 2/17/2020 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 29, 2020 10:55AM BostonGal wrote:

Kathryn,

I know you asked Katie to weigh in and she will but I've been on AC and Taxol and have something to say about nail changes and Hand and Foot Syndrome.

I've learned/heard that all nail changes will correct themselves eventually...

I had four sessions of AC during which I developed "Hand and Foot Syndrome" which I have trouble telling the difference from the nail changes you can get with Taxol. The hand and foot thing is like a mild sunburn (with some peeling...) to me at its worse which is a couple of days after AC chemo after the third and fourth session. It started with a little reddness and tenderness around a pinky after the first AC tho' Managed with lots of moisturizers, avoidance of things that will bug it (heat, pressure). It did spread to my inner thighs (so odd..) but that too has settled down.

I've had two sessions of Taxol and developed nail changes quickly: there are red discolorations and again, about two days after infusion, the nail beds get sore for about a day. I put lidocaine cream on them this past Saturday and it seemed to help! By Sunday, the pain was gone but the sensation in the nail beds is still off...

I iced during the second Taxol infusion but had trouble because the darn ice packs don't stay cold long enough! I am rethinking how I am doing the icing and will likely keep it up even tho' the jury is out whether it works and I am having trouble. No harm in trying something that might help I say and my chemo nurses are very supportive and tried to help me with giving me replacement ice packs and wrapping up my hands! This group has given me some specific suggestions too to try.

Allie

Jun 29, 2020 12:40PM - edited Jun 29, 2020 01:58PM by Ilovethemoon

Hello all! I've enjoyed reading through this thread. What a supportive group you are! I have a question for those of you who have had AC and then weekly Taxol. I just had my 4th/final round of AC 6/18 and am scheduled to start weekly Taxol treatments x 12 weeks on Thursdays. I will exhaust all leave of absence options around the 9th round, so I am going to have to figure out a way to work around the last 3. (I know many people work through chemo, but I work in a hospital setting/with patients and so have been off work to avoid COVID-19 exposure). I only have to work 18-20 hrs/week and my manager will be flexible with me on the days. Can any of you advise how you plan your work schedule around Thursday treatments considering fatigue levels? Which days in the cycle are your better days? Thank you!

Dx 2/2020, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere) Surgery Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jun 29, 2020 04:38PM jelloelloello wrote:

Ilovethemoon: Hello! Welcome to our group : )

I also had my weekly sessions of Taxol on Thursdays. Counting chemo day as Day 1, I felt great on Thursday and Friday (Days 1-2) because the steroids gave me energy and the other pre-meds blocked some of the other side effects.However, it was also very hard to sleep- usually only 2-3 hours a night- so keep that in mind for how productive you can be the next day. A few times, I started to feel the fatigue from coming down off steroids on Friday night (Day 2), but usually not. Usually, Saturday (Day 3) was when the soreness and fatigue started to hit me, but my "bad day" was Sunday (Day 4) for sure. On Monday (Day 5), I still felt low-energy and kinda sore for half of my weeks, but the other half were ok on Mondays. I called Tuesday and Wednesday (Days 6-7) my "good days."

I was lucky to be able to work a part-time (20 hrs/wk) schedule of my choosing, so I chose: Tuesday & Wednesday full days (8 hours each) and half-days on Friday mornings (4 hours). I would've worked on Thursdays but my chemo appointments weren't at consistent times for planning.

You'll find that most of us said the same thing about Days 3-5 being the hardest. With the exception of chemo day if you have any bad reactions, or another exception is if you have diarrhea (which can be any day, just depending on your body) and then any diarrhea day is a bad day, haha (but not really haha).

Hope this helps you! ~Jess

Dx 2/13/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 4/2/2020 AC + T (Taxol)

Jun 29, 2020 05:04PM jelloelloello wrote:

Question for the group:

I'm in a clinical trial that requires 3 weeks between Taxol and AC (also, I'm doing them backwards- Taxol first). The three week break is weird because I've been going weekly and have this go-go-go mindset about chemo, and now I'm just sitting here, feeling like maybe normal again, but also maybe I don't remember what normal felt like...? So it got me thinking about finishing chemo and what that will feel like.

For our veteran warriors who have completed chemo before, or those of you who have just finished for the first time, how does it feel, physically and/or emotionally, to finish? What do we have to look forward to? What surprised you? What was frustrating? What weirdness was going on in your body? How was life, family, work, etc. I'd love to hear your stories and suggestions!

To the group, hope all of are doing well and having as great a week as possible! Sending love and positive energy! ~ jess

Jun 29, 2020 05:47PM ipenelope wrote:

Kathryn- My toe nail has not grown back yet or given any indication it will. During my guest round with chemo my great toe nails and 2nd toe nails became thick and sore, kinda like a fungal infection but it wasn't an infection. I soaked them frequently in a 50/50 vinegar and water mixture and it really helped with the soreness. None of my nails recovered or went anywhere close to back to normal after chemo. I never iced my nails.

Maybe try the foot soak to see if it helps at all. It's what my chemo center recommended for me.

Ilovethemoon- welcome!! My guest round of chemo was AC-T and I worked 4p hrs through all of it, thankfully! My day was also Thursday fit treatment. I would have the morning off from work then work the afternoon. Monday's and Tuesdays were a little challenging as I had a good amount of fatigue and pain still.

This time around my treatment is on Monday's. I work in public health and still work my 40 hrs weekly. Thankfully most of it is from home. I was out of work for 10 weeks due to surgery and COVID precautions due to the field I work, the treatment I'm in and the surgery I had (lung). I don't work in a hospital setting so I'm not sure how it would work to distance yourself, could you do reception/huc type work maybe during noc to get your hrs but not have direct patient care??

I hope everyone is doing good, and staying safe!! Keep up the fight to kick cancer's butt!!🥊🥊

~Katie💗

Katie💗 Diagnosed stage IIB at 42, diagnosed stage 4 mets to left lung age 44 Dx 9/12/2018, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/20/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/13/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 6/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/21/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Dx 2/24/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/18/2020 Immunotherapy 4/20/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 4/20/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel)

Jun 29, 2020 10:26PM hnsquared wrote:

Hello Ilovethemoon...

I completed 12 weekly taxol and just got my first AC under my belt. I did my taxol on wednesday. I have continued to work 40 hours a week during treatment but I have had the luxury of working from home due to COVID. I have worked on infusion day if my infusion is in the afternoon. The benedryl premeds knock me out. I felt good until 8 or 9 which is when the cumulative effects seem to kick in for me. Overall I felt pretty good Thursday and would get a little tired Friday afternoon. Saturday and Sunday were my low energy days and I was feeling better by Monday. The last two weeks it was all low energy but I could push through. Hope that helps! Hopefully your boss can be flexible and you can figure it out.

You got this!

Dx 2/20/2020, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Jun 29, 2020 10:28PM hnsquared wrote:

Jess....I can’t wait to hear responses from the veterans. I just want to feel somewhat normal again. Or at least not like a bald, tired zombie 😂.

Heather

Dx 2/20/2020, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Jun 30, 2020 12:31AM - edited Jun 30, 2020 12:36AM by jelloelloello

lol Heather, your “bald, tired zombie" made me do a stupid snicker out loud and my dog woke up and looked at me

Jun 30, 2020 12:07PM LiseC wrote:

Ilovethemoon - welcome! I did taxol before AC, my 12th infusion was last Friday. I have been able to continue working (from home) throughout my treatment. I could go into the office if I had to, but I work for a university and they sent all nonessential employees home. I work Monday - Thursday and take Fridays off for my infusion. I felt fine on Friday and Saturday, Sunday I would start to experience some fatigue but Monday (day 4) was the worst day, especially near the end. On Mondays it was hard to focus due to the fatigue so I would put off any important work to Tuesday when I could focus a bit better. I will say the fatigue got progressively worse with each treatment, I felt completely normal until around round 9 or 10. It may be helpful to work earlier on in your infusions and save up some extra PTO for the end of your treatments. Hope that helps!

Diagnosed at 42, married 13 years and have a 4 year old son Dx 2/23/2020, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/10/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Zoladex (goserelin)

Jun 30, 2020 03:08PM wahoomama87 wrote:

Jess -

I can't speak to "finishing" chemo, since the is the only time I've done it! But I will say that being on TCPH, I have 3 weeks between each treatment. In my experience with my first 3 rounds, by the first or second day of week 2, and then all of week 3, I felt mostly myself. So I'm hoping that once I have my last round on the 24th of this month, I will bounce back by the 3rd week. I'm mid-way through week 3 right now and most of the side effects are gone or really minimal, so hopefully that will continue. Although Round 4 has been much harder - with things lasting longer this time.

Kris

Dx 3/23/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 4/10/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 4/10/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 4/10/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 8/27/2020 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left

Jul 3, 2020 03:18PM Hurricaneblair wrote:

@wahoomama87 (aka Kris)....can you re-post how everyone can find our FB group?

It is soooo much easier to have “conversations” when we can respond directly under each post.

Thanks...Erin

Dx 3/25/2020, ILC/IDC, Right, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 4/9/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 4/9/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jul 3, 2020 10:04PM CCGirl wrote:

Hi Allie (And everyone!)

Sorry to be MIA. I’ve been down and out for the last 10 days. I ended up in the ER on Sunday after my last post and had all sorts of tests. (The on-call doc didn’t call me back that time either so I just went to the hospital anyway). They gave me antibiotics even though there were no infections that they could find. And then my MO (who was majorly pissed off about the on-call doc situation) put me on two really strong antibiotics just in case. Unfortunately, I think they made me even more sick. And I got some terrible burn rashes on my hands and itchy bumps on my chest. I took myself off the antibiotics because the SEs happened on the weekend (of course). But the MO took me off anyway on Monday when I called in. They had got all of the blood work and cultures back (along with my negative Covid test, clear chest X-ray and etc) and no infection anywhere. No idea why the fever. No need for antibiotics. Argh.

I have my last round of chemo on Tuesday and haven’t had any really good days this time. Scared about going in again, especially if the last round is worse than round 3. Thank goodness it’s the last one, but I don’t think I’ll be celebrating until the SEs are over and I feel better. Then I’ll ring the bell.

Xoxo to all of you! Have a wonderful 4th of July :)

Nan

Dx 11/22/1998, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+ Surgery 11/22/1998 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 2/1/1999 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/1999 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 3/11/2020, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/25/2020 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 5/4/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jul 4, 2020 08:35AM Sueshe55 wrote:

CCgirl I’m so sorry you had To go thru that. Do you get neulasta? Could the fever have been from that? Was your WBC elevated? I’m glad you stopped the antibiotics on your own. Hoping you feel better and #4 is a breeze. I rarely post here anymore on on FB in Allies group but felt I needed to reach out. Positive thoughts will get you through!! You’re almost there, take care RE/sueshe55

Dx 3/23/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 4/26/2020 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/26/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jul 4, 2020 09:55AM CCGirl wrote:

Hi Sueshe,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I did get Neulasta. It’s possible the fever could have been from that. Hard to say. My white count was very low when they did the blood tests in the ER, but I was told it was expected. I am feeling a little better today. One day at a time ... I keep thinking, okay, by this time next month it’ll be much better. Almost there.

Thank you 🙏

Nan

Dx 11/22/1998, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+ Surgery 11/22/1998 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 2/1/1999 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/1999 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 3/11/2020, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/25/2020 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 5/4/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jul 4, 2020 01:29PM wahoomama87 wrote:

Nan - so sorry you haven't felt well. That taxotere is giving me fits with the SE too. I feel you.

Kris

Dx 3/23/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 4/10/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 4/10/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 4/10/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 8/27/2020 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left

Jul 4, 2020 01:31PM wahoomama87 wrote:

Hey all - Per Erin's request - join our VERY active FB group! So much easier to have a good conversation. If you want to join, please PM me - and I will add you. For privacy reasons, it's completely invisible on FB, so you can't search for it and request to join, but it's so easy for me to add people in. The instructions are also posted in the pinned post at the top here, after all our member names. Come on over to FB!

Kris

Jul 4, 2020 10:47PM ipenelope wrote:

Nan,

Did they say anything about being dehydrated?? That can definitely cause an elevated temp.

Im glad your back home and starting to feel better!! The weekend I get lots of steroids your sadly down and out 🤪🤪.

I hope everyone is doing good, have a great 4th of July, and stay safe!! Keep up the fight to kick cancer's butt!!🥊🥊

~Katie 💗

Katie💗 Diagnosed stage IIB at 42, diagnosed stage 4 mets to left lung age 44 Dx 9/12/2018, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/20/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/13/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 6/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/21/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Dx 2/24/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/18/2020 Immunotherapy 4/20/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 4/20/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel)

Jul 5, 2020 09:18AM BostonGal wrote:

Nan, good to hear from you. Was wondering. I see you are on two chemo drugs. I am glad they have ruled out more "serious" issues and you are feeling better. It is very hard to sort the SEs, etc. out.

Allie

Page 29 of 29 (861 results)